Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Police killing of 15 yo black girl Makiah Bryant MOD NOTE IN OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It's difficult to see a knife, if the poster didn't mention it I wouldn't have known.

It really isn't at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

keano_afc wrote: »
    Racist cops. They should have let her go on stabbing people. How dare they do their job.

She was being attacked. She called the police herself. She tried to protect herself. The police shot at her straight away when they arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

I would have less problem with this shooting than the Adam Toledo shooting that I thought was just murder.

The 15-year-old is attacking someone with a knife and action had to be taking.
    What this video show is just how poorly the police officer is trained.

His 1st weapon should have been his taser, not the firearm.

But that said, the officer used his weapon to stop a murder and while I think better training is required.
    I wouldn't think that the officer committed a criminal act in this case.

That said another dead kid in the US caused by the police and another family grieving for a child.

On a related topic:

The shooting of another Black child in Knoxville and the police won't release the footage.

Original reported it as a school shooting but later turned out that the Police Officer shoot himself.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/protesters-seeking-release-school-shooting-video-arrested-77190235

Looks very bad when they claim a school shoot and it turns out the Police officer shot himself and then a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I would have less problem with this shooting than the Adam Toledo shooting that I thought was just murder.

The 15-year-old is attacking someone with a knife and action had to be taking.
    What this video show is just how poorly the police officer is trained.

His 1st weapon should have been his taser, not the firearm.

But that said, the officer used his weapon to stop a murder and while I think better training is required.
    I wouldn't think that the officer committed a criminal act in this case.

That said another dead kid in the US caused by the police and another family grieving for a child.

On a related topic:

The shooting of another Black child in Knoxville and the police won't release the footage.

Original reported it as a school shooting but later turned out that the Police Officer shoot himself.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/protesters-seeking-release-school-shooting-video-arrested-77190235

Looks very bad when they claim a school shoot and it turns out the Police officer shot himself and then a kid.

And if the cop used a taser to try to prevent an attempted murder that was happening in front of him, and the taser failed?
    Tasers don't always work. The cop correctly applied the appropriate tool and force required to resolve that particular situation.
    Unfortunately it resulted in death, but under those circumstances, he was left with no other option that secured the safety of the girl in pink and any other potential victims present.

jdon72 wrote: »
    She was being attacked. She called the police herself. She tried to protect herself. The police shot at her straight away when they arrived

How do you know she did, because her aunt said it? The same aunt that said she had no knife

Also what happened before the police arrival is irrelevant tbf. She was about to kill someone imminently. Of course she was going to be shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

and it turns out the Police officer shot himself and then a kid.

Any evidence to support this slightly zany version of events?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

How do you know she did, because her aunt said it? The same aunt that said she had no knife

Also what happened before the police arrival is irrelevant tbf. She was about to kill someone imminently. Of course she was going to be shot.

The police's first response shouldn't be to shoot. They could have used pepper spray or a taser instead of shooting a 15 year old girl instantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If you're acting crazy with a knife in the USA then you're likely to get blasted by the cops. Lots sign up to use their firearms and and just cause they're going in blasting.

The police's first response shouldn't be to shoot. They could have used pepper spray or a taser instead of shooting a 15 year old girl instantly

This is real life. Not a fantasy or a movie.

You need to be within 4m of someone to use pepper spray. Wind dissipates it, and it affects people differently. Finally, by getting closer, he would then be at risk from her.

This girl was literally mid swing with a knife. Immediate resolution was required. Tasers are also not guaranteed to work, so the police officer was left with no choice other than his firearm to save the other girl's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Right. Lets try a bit of logic here.

Looking at the video, the girl with the stabby thing was running away from the cop and towards her intended victim. How was the cop supposed to pepper spray her when she was running away from him and with her face facing away from the cop?

The girl had to be stopped...........to use your word.........instantly....as she was in the process of trying to stab another girl. The cop had to react......instantly.

By the way, there are loads of videos online of cops using tasers on people with little effect. Here's one from Scotland. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53222031

How do you get close enough to pepper spray an armed person?

And what happens if the taser doesn't work? In this instance specifically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

From my view of the video she was literally in the middle of stabbing another girl. The cop saved her life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Don't forget the bit about the knife will you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

She had a knife firmly in her grip and was swinging it with intent to maim or kill. Pepper spray would just make it harder for her to see a target, it won't stop her swinging the knife, plus the officer has to approach her, take out the pepper spray and get her face within 2-3 seconds. The other girl's throat could be slashed in milliseconds.

Tazers might stop her running away after killing the other girl but they aren't effective at preventing someone swinging a knife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

All the girl in pink seemed to be carrying was a small dog. Why did the deceased attack her?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

We need a black people getting shot in America forum...

Lol.

Ok.

I would hazard a guess that you would have a complete 180 degree change in your opinion if you were being chased with a knife.

I do love this quote from the rte news article
    The officer who opened fire was not identified but appears from the video to be white.

Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

MarkR wrote: »
    What we needed was a good black guy with a gun.

Shaft?

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Shaft?

You're damn right

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I've watched the video multiple times and I don't see any knife.

Definitely a racially motivated murder. At 0:12 you can hear the cop saying "I can't wait to shoot one of these black people".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wouldn't have guessed she was 15 from the admittedly grainy video. She looked like a person that would take a bit of stopping if she was coming at you full tilt. Never mind swinging a big knife. Pink girl, assuming she was unarmed, would have been no physical threat to her

If that was her oul' fella kicking the other girl in the face while she was on the ground, he might have been better off using his time to take the knife off his daughter.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

Definitely a racially motivated murder. At 0:12 you can hear the cop saying "I can't wait to shoot one of these black people".

You can see it clearly at 8 seconds if you pause the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

I wouldn't have guessed she was 15 from the admittedly grainy video. She looked like a person that would take a bit of stopping if she was coming at you full tilt. Never mind swinging a big knife. Pink girl, assuming she was unarmed, would have been no physical threat to her

If that was her oul' fella kicking the other girl in the face while she was on the ground, he might have been better off using his time to take the knife off his daughter.

All the girl in pink seemed to be holding was a small dog.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

Well here ya go then:

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

What colour is the cop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Well here ya go then:

image.jpg

From that image , it looks like it's " only " a butter knife .

( Now , where did we hear this before ? Hum , now let me think ..... )

All the girl in pink seemed to be holding was a small dog.

Even if pink girl was also armed (I assume she wasn't), she was no threat to the other girl. The girl who was shot has no excuse for trying to stab pink girl. Not self defence, not fear of her life. Nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I agree and disagree in equal proportions.

Time and time again, US police officers are far too trigger happy. Situations which could easily be defused without lethal force. Statistics show the number of police shootings significantly exceed that of their close neighbors. In 2019, there were 1099 police killings in the US compared to 33 in Canada.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/how-police-compare-different-democracies

There has to be other options.

"The UN Code of Conduct for Law Enforcement Officials states that officers should only use force as a last resort. U.S. police can legally use deadly force if they reasonably believe they or other people are in danger, but some critics have questioned whether officers can make this judgment call."

That said, I have no idea how I'd react in such a situation. Nor do you. Plus the officer was trying to stop someone from potentially killing/seriously injuring another person. Hence I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Well here ya go then:

image.jpg

Looks like more of a defensive stance to me. With the girl in the pink the aggressor, 47 million please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,460 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Judging by the video the guy in grey top and blue jeans kicked out at the other girl that was involved, another girl who I assume was in cahoots with the girl in pink.
    Guy in grey top, and girl with knife were the ones getting attacked as the story goes, and thought once police arrived they'd back them up and get those two girls arrested, would she have used the knife, probably not, all a show of force, but pretty stupid to be expecting police to take her side and back her up when she's waving a knife around and acting like she's willing to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,460 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Whole thing is a total car crash . You often see it in car crashes where the ones who cause it walk away without a scratch on their car or self, while they cause a 3 car pile up.

Looks like more of a defensive stance to me. With the girl in the pink the aggressor, 47 million please

The only aggressor here was the racist police officer not minding his own business. He had no right to shoot the black girl - and only did so cos she was black. End of story. BLM. Defund the police.

No justice. No peace. No racist police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Genuinely amazes me that there are people out protesting about this after seeing the video. Sad situation but necessary.

The reason they are is because the narrative the media and democrats will take on it, they are emboldened.

Each day that goes by they give them more inches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And a fully trained cop cannot take a knife off someone? Off a child? They are trained to disarm. Trigger happy. And someone said FOUR SHOTS?

The only aggressor here was the racist police officer not minding his own business. He had no right to shoot the black girl - and only did so cos she was black. End of story. BLM. Defund the police.

No justice. No peace. No racist police.

He shot a person trying to attack another person with a knife. Both people involved were black. The officer shot a black person and in turn saved the life of another black person.

From what I see, there is no racial motivation to this shooting.

This is a ridiculous statement, clearly you are hell bent on promoting this as a racially motivated incident versus removing the emotion from the situation and looking at the incident objectively.

Graces7 wrote: »
    And a fully trained cop cannot take a knife off someone? Off a child? They are trained to disarm. Trigger happy. And someone said FOUR SHOTS?

For what people apparently expect of cops in terms of physical/combat abilities I doubt many at that level would stay as cops when they could be fighting in the UFC.

A fully trained cop could have karate-chopped them all into submission in less than a second, if he wanted to. He's just a racist so decided to shoot instead when he saw she was black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No, because no one is trained to take a knife off someone, this isn't a Hollywood movie you know.

Did you actually watch the video? It was chaos, people everywhere, people kicking others in the head, and then someone appears with a knife attempting to stab another person.

The officer in question had seconds to react. Disarming at that point was clearly not an option, the attackers arm was already in motion with knife in hand.

He's a police officer not a sorcerer, he can't just magic the knife out of her hand.

• Advertisement

A fully trained cop could have karate-chopped them all into submission in less than a second, if he wanted to. He's just a racist so decided to shoot instead when he saw she was black.

jordan-peterson.jpg?width=1200

They possibly could have manually disarmed the girl eventually but she quite possibly could have inflicted a fatal wound on the pink girl before they got to her.

At 5 seconds the man is throwing the other person (girl/woman) onto the ground (just before kicking her in the face at 8 seconds). At 7 seconds the shot girl is rounding the girl on the ground and lunging at pink girl. At 8 seconds we see the knife being swung through the air and at 9 seconds the first shot is fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Take a good hard look at that picture again. Now put your own child in in the position of the girl in pink.

conorhal wrote: »
    Take a good hard look at that picture again. Now put your own child in in the position of the girl in pink.

Good point - If I were the parents of girl in Pink I would be publicly thanking him for saving my child's life.

That wont happen though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The policeman is very lucky it's all on camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Feisar

Your post is idiotic.

First they came for the socialists...

• Advertisement

Please tell me this post is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Yeah, he should have just paused time, caught up to her, removed the knife from her hand and replaced it with a feather duster, then set time going again. The confusion alone from the feather duster would have de-escalated the situation. They could have set up a campfire then and sat around singing Kumbaya.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I don't see anything wrong with the cop's actions here. He shot a woman who was about to stab or slash another. The bodycam footage of this was released pretty quickly too and that tells its own story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Off a child?

Just to point out that all children are not the same (and has nothing to do with this incident, but more to prove a point - some kids are not kids), he had killed 3 people by 8 years old!. Age is a factor, but it shouldn't automatically assume the "child" is not a threat and can be easily disarmed. Wikipedia has a lovely list of the youngest killers, all the way down to the age of 4.

Just to point out that all children are not the same (and has nothing to do with this incident, but more to prove a point - some kids are not kids), he had killed 3 people by 8 years old!. Age is a factor, but it shouldn't automatically assume the "child" is not a threat and can be easily disarmed. Wikipedia has a lovely list of the youngest killers, all the way down to the age of 4.

Ah but look at her - she's just a delicate little flower of a child. Wouldn't and couldn't hurt a fly -

image.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement