Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Police killing of 15 yo black girl Makiah Bryant MOD NOTE IN OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Foxtrol wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

He has absolutely no control over what others in that situation did. The other girl kicks her off just as he is pulling the trigger then she takes one or more bullets.

Why are you taking about what didn't happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

No, I said already what I would have done. First choice would be to use a taser, second choice physically involve myself, and worst case shot a single round.

The cop had only arrived at the scene seconds before, he had absolutely no idea who the original aggressor was - he could be shooting a child who had been attacked and was defending themselves.

Typical US cop - zero to a dead kid in seconds.

You're wasted behind a keyboard. With information processing skills and reflexes like that, you'd walk into a professional sports environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What did he say?

screengrab

bb322af2-f988-44f1-9204-9e412ceeec61_1140x641.png

I agree with the scuttle on reddit about it, the thing chiefly wrong here is LeBron just being a dick to the cop when in this case, I don't really see that the cop in this shooting deserved that type of response and LeBron just made himself look like an idiot/dickweed doing so. The idea suggested here that it was somehow going to bring down imminent danger on the officer though is a hell of an overreach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No, I said already what I would have done. First choice would be to use a taser, second choice physically involve myself, and worst case shot a single round.

The cop had only arrived at the scene seconds before, he had absolutely no idea who the original aggressor was - he could be shooting a child who had been attacked and was defending themselves.

He shot the woman who looked like a professional male rugby player who was charging full speed at some one only feet away with a massive knife.

You'd have done it different of course but he hadn't your reaction speed, probably no one else has.

Is any part of you glad the woman in pink isn't dead, or do you even care she existed?

Is she surplus to your needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

enricoh wrote: »
    Thank fook the girl in the pink top wasn't white. Cities across america would be in flames right now if she was.

I wonder will policing in black neighborhoods be reduced now after all these incidents? If I was a cop over there I dunno if I'd be rushing to incidents in certain areas!

Leave them to it imo. Let them sell drugs to each other, loot their own shops and shoot each other. They don't respect the rule of law so why should the police put their lives on the line when they are hated by that community.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You're some man. You'd do all that in the couple of seconds that she's attempting to stab that girl.

Also what happened before is irrelevant. He has to make a decision on what he is seeing there and then.

Immediate threat to life required immediate use of force. Simple
    You're wasted behind a keyboard. With information processing skills and reflexes like that, you'd walk into a professional sports environment.

What are you both on about?

Pulling a taser instead of a gun takes the exact same amount of time, 'processing skills', and 'reflexes'. Shooting one bullet rather than four takes even less

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

You should probably have played professional table tennis, you must have the reactions of one of the Chinese lads you'd see in the Olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Terrorist has a knife less than a foot away from your neck. Vote for your favourite cop move?

Makes zero difference, anyone wielding a knife with intent to kill or maim in front of armed police who have shouted 'get down' needs to be taken down by any means necessary. This isn't primary school. 'but she started it' :rolleyes: When the police arrive don't get one free stabbing because you have been victimised or attacked, especially when the other person is unarmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Pulling a taser instead of a gun takes the exact same amount of time, 'processing skills', and 'reflexes'. Shooting one bullet rather than four takes even less

Spoken like someone who likely has never done either, or under stress. Utter fantasist.

This was excellent shooting on the part of the officer, and I'm generally very dismissive of police officers skill at arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

What if 1 bullet wasnt enough to stop her as we saw with the black lad in Dublin a while back

• Advertisement

This was excellent shooting on the part of the officer, and I'm generally very dismissive of police officers skill at arms.

It was, but holy hell the risks involved if he had missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Leave them to it imo. Let them sell drugs to each other, loot their own shops and shoot each other. They don't respect the rule of law so why should the police put their lives on the line when they are hated by that community.
    Because there are black people who do want law and order.

Are you being genuine.

The giantess with the giant Knife made physical contact with the woman she was trying to kill.

Tasers oftentimes don't work.

He had to hit something that instantly killed the attacker or the other woman was dead.

Have you seen the video of the female police officer being stabbed while tazing a guy? Her partner shoots the guy three or four times before he eventually stopped lunging the knife at her.

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    Terrorist has a knife less than a foot away from your neck. Vote for your favourite cop move?

Terrorist... That is more of a bullhorn than the usual dog whistles here.
    Makes zero difference, anyone wielding a knife with intent to kill or maim in front of armed police who have shouted 'get down' needs to be taken down by any means necessary. This isn't primary school. 'but she started it' :rolleyes: When the police arrive don't get one free stabbing because you have been victimised or attacked, especially when the other person is unarmed.

We saw in the recent case that following what the cop says doesn't mean they won't shoot you.

Still waiting on one poster to explain why 1 bullet in her wouldn't have been enough to start.

What if 1 bullet wasnt enough to stop her as we saw with the black lad in Dublin a while back

What if one was enough?

You can always fire more bullets, you can't change your mind after they're in the victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Overheal wrote: »
    screengrab

bb322af2-f988-44f1-9204-9e412ceeec61_1140x641.png

I agree with the scuttle on reddit about it, the thing chiefly wrong here is LeBron just being a dick to the cop when in this case, I don't really see that the cop in this shooting deserved that type of response and LeBron just made himself look like an idiot/dickweed doing so. The idea suggested here that it was somehow going to bring down imminent danger on the officer though is a hell of an overreach.

Is that the cop that shot the girl? You don't think tweeting that's gonna inspire someone to attack the cop? Seriously?! America is just a tinderbox at the minute imo.
    After george floyd was shot last year some ex army fella shot a few cops in reprisal.

Terrorist. That is more of a bullhorn than the usual dog whistles here.

It's not a 'bullhorn' or 'dog whistle', it's a simple question which you are avoiding answering. Terrorist, accountant, lollipop lady with a knife to your neck. Which menu option do you want the cops to select, maybe a slice of tazer with a dash of 'physical involvement'?

What if one was enough?

You can always fire more bullets, you can't change your mind after they're in the victim.

The "victim" was mid swing in an attempt to stab another girl. He didn't have time to see if one would be enough. If he had waited any longer, there was a very high possibility the other girl would have already been stabbed.

• Advertisement

What if one was enough?

You were willing to gamble with the life of the pink lady.

He wasn't

Immediate reality won out over suppositions.

Danzy wrote: »
    Are you being genuine.

The giantess with the giant Knife made physical contact with the woman she was trying to kill.

Tasers oftentimes don't work.

He had to hit something that instantly killed the attacker or the other woman was dead.

I could ask the same question of you.

You're acting like tasers never work and every time some gets cut by a knife they die.

What if one was enough?

Someone is being stabbed? 'Well she only slashed her throat after the first shot, by the second she pierced her heart but I reckon it was the third shot that saved her arm' :rolleyes:

You're acting like tasers never work and every time some gets cut by a knife they die.

You really couldn't give a flying f769 that the other girl was saved.

You were willing to gamble with the life of the pink lady.

He wasn't

Immediate reality won out over suppositions.

'Immediate reality' is just as much of a supposition and he decided that within seconds he'd be judge, jury, and executioner on what he 'supposed' was going to happen next.

'Immediate reality' is just as much of a supposition and he decided that within seconds he'd be judge, jury, and executioner on what he 'supposed' was going to happen next.

We know it was not a supposition, the gargantuan psycho with what looks like a butcher knife was already on the intended victim.

He saved a Life, that's irrelevant to you because it doesn't fit your needs.

Enjoy the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

To Foxtrol who seems so adamant that a taser should have been used first before one shot

When John Cathy was killed by Gardai in Abbeylara he was shot twice in the legs to try and subdue him before being lethally shot. The two shots didn't even bring him to the ground.

Not everything is how you imagine it in your head or you see in a movie. Not living in the real world

We know it was not a supposition, the gargantuan psycho with what looks like a butcher knife was already on the intended victim.

He saved a Life, that's irrelevant to you because it doesn't fit your needs.

Enjoy the thread.

All we know for certain is he ended a life

• Registered Users Posts: 44 little bit of help

I think the phrase "clear and present danger" applies here. Are the cops just supposed to let people of colour kill/maim because stopping them might be considered racist? Do people honestly think that just asking her nicely to stop being stabby was going to do the trick?

To Foxtrol who seems so adamant that a taser should have been used first before one shot

When John Cathy was killed by Gardai in Abbeylara he was shot twice in the legs to try and subdue him before being lethally shot. The two shots didn't even bring him to the ground.

Not everything is how you imagine it in your head or you see in a movie. Not living in the real world

You'd have a point if your argument didn't hinge on the seemingly guaranteed death of the other girl or anyone else the moment it ever made contact with them (a knife that seems to have been wielded for quite a while during the melee and no one had been stabbed or died).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We all have hours to go over the video and say how it should all have played out.
    Nicholas Reardon (the cop) didn't have hours or even minutes, he had a second or two to make a decision to try to save a life or not.
    His gun was already drawn and he saw a threat to the girl in pink he had just spoken to. His training kicked in.

His actions probably saved the life of an unarmed person by shooting an aggressor. You can be ok with that or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

You'd have a point if your argument didn't hinge on the seemingly guaranteed death of the other girl or anyone else the moment it ever made contact with them (a knife that seems to have been wielded for quite a while during the melee and no one had been stabbed or died).

Christ you are a moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why does it have to be "guaranteed death"? It doesn't matter if she was only going to stick it in her arm or slash her face. The minute she lunged with it, all bets were off and she was going to have to accept the consequences of her decision.

Terrible tragedy that she died. She was the author of her own misfortune

That would be funny if it wasn't so terrifying that you seem to actually hold these views

I really hope you never have to face a situation where there are only bad options available.

Not in this type of context but, say, in general life.

I'd genuinely fear for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The cop appears to be in the right in this case.

Apparently the girl who had the knife called the police? I guess she was being attacked and got a knife to defend herself?

Regardless, the cop has no way of knowing what was happening, from his pov he saw one girl trying to stab another and reacting accordingly.

No fan of the police in the US, but looks like they had little choice here.

biko wrote: »
    We all have hours to go over the video and say how it should all have played out.
    Nicholas Reardon (the cop) didn't have hours or even minutes, he had a second or two to make a decision to try to save a life or not.
    His gun was already drawn and he saw a threat to the girl in pink he had just spoken to. His training kicked in.

Already having his gun drawn is exactly my point - way too much escalation. Like so often in the US, the cop boxed himself into a situation where the most likely event if things don't go perfectly is that he is killing someone.
    His actions probably saved the life of an unarmed person by shooting an aggressor. You can be ok with that or not.

All we know is his actions definitely ended a life - that is not a good outcome and I see no evidence that it was the only outcome where the other girl is 'saved'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

If a knife or any deadly weapon is in play, the cop has to presume the worst case scenario , that the weapon will kill someone.

A life is a life, but the knife wielder was the cause of her own demise. No sympathy for someone trying to attack another with a deadly weapon.

If it was my daughter being attacked Id be grateful the officer intervened and most likley saved her life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

There was no guarantee shooting her was going to kill the deceased either but it happened. People get shot in the torso and it misses all major organs in the same way a stab wound can.

Also the 4 bullets went off in quick succession, presumably because he couldn't be waiting to see if the previous bullets had subdued the target.

I really hope you never have to face a situation where there are only bad options available.

Not in this type of context but, say, in general life.

I'd genuinely fear for you.

Unfortunately, I've faced them many times.

I however generally try to not narrow my options like the cop did and the times that I do I don't use it as an excuse for the decisions that led to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Already having his gun drawn is exactly my point - way too much escalation. Like so often in the US, the cop boxed himself into a situation where the most likely event if things don't go perfectly is that he is killing someone.

'.

Its It's reasonable to assume had his gun not have been drawn, the attack would have badly injured the third party,

You attack someone with a knife in US while an armed cop is present, he sutely has no choice but to act to stop the attack which presents high risk of death.

All the dead girls own doing.

• Advertisement

General advisory that 'news' circulating from shaky sources are swirling around the case

https://www.mediaite.com/news/npr-adds-disclaimer-to-story-on-ohio-shooting-reporting-may-later-turn-out-to-be-wrong/

There was no guarantee shooting her was going to kill the deceased either but it happened. People get shot in the torso and it misses all major organs in the same way a stab wound can.

Also the 4 bullets went off in quick succession, presumably because he couldn't be waiting to see if the previous bullets had subdued the target.

I'd wager the chances of surviving four bullets to the torso is a lot lower than one knife wound.

All we know is his actions definitely ended a life - that is not a good outcome and I see no evidence that it was the only outcome where the other girl is 'saved'.

Having the knife in your hand also escalates a situation fairly quickly too.

I'd wager the chances of surviving four bullets to the torso is a lot lower than one knife wound.

Depends on where the bullets hit and where the stab wound is.

Would you partake in a competition where you get stabbed once before firing 4 bullets at your opponent. I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Overheal wrote: »
    It was, but holy hell the risks involved if he had missed.

Considering the blowback you would have to wonder if he would have been better off just ignoring the call. I'm sure there are police officers all over America thinking the same thing.

It's not worth it

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Its It's reasonable to assume had his gun not have been drawn, the attack would have badly injured the third party,

You attack someone with a knife in US while an armed cop is present, he sutely has no choice but to act to stop the attack which presents high risk of death.

All the dead girls own doing.

If he had his taser drawn it is also quite likely that the third party also would not have been badly injured, similarly if he only shot her once.

Do we actually have sound of the body cam of the shooter? I've only seen ones with no sound so unclear if she even knows there is a cop there.

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Considering the blowback you would have to wonder if he would have been better off just ignoring the call. I'm sure there are police officers all over America thinking the same thing.

It's not worth it

If there is an air traffic controller who gets fussed up and says well I'm not going to direct air traffic then, then we will swiftly fire the ATC, as we damn well should to any police officer, department or union who takes the attitude above. Zero tolerance for that bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

What do you suggest the cop do, send her a strongly worded letter to desist from her manic kitchen knife wielding?

Zero sympathy here much like your man up in Dublin a while ago.

Well done to that cop, he should be given a medal.

That would be funny if it wasn't so terrifying that you seem to actually hold these views

Yeah, having a goal of doing everything to avoid lethal outcomes in policing is 'terrifying' :rolleyes:

I'm sure you spend every night in Ireland under the bed for fear the Gardai won't shoot first and ask questions later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

If he had his taser drawn it is also quite likely that the third party also would not have been badly injured, similarly if he only shot her once.

Do we actually have sound of the body cam of the shooter? I've only seen ones with no sound so unclear if she even knows there is a cop there.

Endless youtube videos of armed people being either tasered or shot multiple times and not going down. You're in the "shoot the knife out of her hand" territory. Shoot her once and wait and see what happens ? Get real lad ffs.

Advertisement