Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for complete revamp of a raised garden area

• 21-04-2021 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm hoping some of you might be able to offer some suggestions for a raised area in our small suburban garden. The garden is south facing and is a wonderful retreat on a sunny day but the raised area at the back has always been problematic- the ugly concrete wall is north facing and a main sewer line runs from west to east, although it is down quite deep- maybe 1.2m minimum. Over 20 years ago we had planted Clematis "Montana" plus another variety here, in addition to Pyracantha, which gave great colour and helped to screen the wall. Behind the wall was an old overgrown hedgerow which blocked out all the light leaving this part of the garden in shade for much of the year. The house behind changed hands in recent years and the new owner took out the hedgerow and put up a shed behind. This site behind is elevated. Storm damage and the old age of many of the shrubs meant it was time to start afresh- so far I've done the following:

Remove all existing shrubbery, wall planting and climbers
    Carry out repairs to wall, new structural pier and extra blockwork
    Fit new treated timber and split bamboo screen to top of wall
    Removed all roots, trellis etc.

This part of the garden is now a blank canvas.

I plan to make a feature wall panel for the centre panel of blockwork (where the stepladder is now)- something in timber cladding (I have some ideas, not too worried about this part). I'd consider putting in Clematis "Montana" again- only this time I'd like to keep it in check, but open to suggestions. A neighbour suggested ivy for the wall- but my wife and I don't like ivy! In the past I've fixed treated timber battens vertically to the wall with wire run between to support climbers- I may do something similar.

We like bamboo (maybe for south east corner (top left) but is this too vigorous/ invasive. I know we'd like some structural planting, just unsure what will work. Could we plant a small/ miniature tree- we had a miniature cherry blossom of some kind at one time.

We love our garden (we have a nice deck and paved area closer to the house) and it enjoys full sun and privacy but we don't want anything too high maintenance. All input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I love a blank canvas. That is a good wall, would you think of painting it?

What about a climbing rose or honey suckle, wisteria maybe, and if you have a climbing structure made you can always add in annual climbers like sweet pea or black eyed susan? The middle ground could do well for ornamental small trees, japanese maples or flamingo trees. Then seasonal plants, bulbs, perennials and even a little rockery around the stone steps and wall.. or what about a sculpture for a center piece, water feature?

Me: I would do wall climbers for height and three small shrubs or trees for seasonal interest with colour in autumn and fresh growth in spring. Then room towards the front for annuals, bulbs and perennials. Choose your colours too: cool blues, purple and whites, or warm colours burnt orange and reds. Think of it as a stage and you'll not go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Great, thanks for that, lots to think about. I plan to paint the centre panel of blockwork only, to even out the background behind the timber cladding panel. Sculpture is definitely an option, I have done stuff in copper and steel before. Water feature is out- the garden is wet enough and I already had to deal with a natural spring elsewhere in the garden a few years ago. Thank you for your time, this is exactly the kind of input I need and is much appreciated! ��

Advertisement