Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musgrave Marketplace

Options
  • 21-04-2021 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Is musgraves open to the public now or is it still exclusive ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Dunno but I'll take them all. Sounds like a deadly bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

phishcakes wrote: »
    Is musgraves open to the public now or is it still exclusive ?

Not a bargain but it's Trade only.
    Unless you can reclaim VAT, some items with VAT included, works out dearer than a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭- bo -

Cheers OP - bought 2 of them just incase one breaks.

- bo - wrote: »
    Cheers OP - bought 2 of them just incase one breaks.

You can't as I bought them all! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Can anyone registered for VAT buy from these places?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Not a bargain but it's Trade only.
    Unless you can reclaim VAT, some items with VAT included, works out dearer than a supermarket.

Thanks, I see the Belfast store has public shopping available.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Akula

They can't advertise being open to the public as they don't want to piss off their retail customers. But if you go in and say that you want a day pass to be able to buy things for you 'club' you'll be fine. A friend always just says he is buying stuff for his kids football team. Just pay the vat at the till. So you need to remember to add that as you are going around.

Some really super prices if you are happy to buy in bulk for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

OmegaGene wrote: »
    not everything has vat added, i go all the time to get the chicken breasts they are much bigger than regular supermarket options and much cheaper, off the top of my head they are 280g to 310g in a box of 25 for €29
    fillet steak is another good buy all the time

True.
    Anything Vat code A is 0% VAT which would be fresh food/dairy.
    Think the chicken breasts were €23 for 25 last time I bought them but at either price they are good quality.

One current offer is 18 bottles of Miller (330ml) for €12.65 plus 23% VAT which is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

One thing about the chicken is it's not irish personally I have no issue with that but some people might

The Tsingtao beer used to work out at €1.17 a 330ml bottle I think its a lovely beer

The other I buy regularly enough is the Heavy Duty Bin bags they are a lot cheaper than buying elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Bazzy wrote: »
    ...The other I buy regularly enough is the Heavy Duty Bin bags they are a lot cheaper than buying elsewhere

Thats the thing about that place....much of the stuff isnt cheap unless you are an established big buyer ( van load every couple of days ) when discounts kick in.

They used to keep 50kg bags of Birds Custard powder :D ( i.e. size of a bag of cement )...do they still ?

• Advertisement

0lddog wrote: »

They used to keep 50kg bags of Birds Custard powder :D ( i.e. size of a bag of cement )...do they still ?

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

So if I pop into my local Marketplace in Cork and ask for a day pass I can shop away?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Musgrave's and other wholesalers cannot sell to non registered business.

It is under planning regulations primarily.

So unless you are a registered business, you can't shop there.

It's no cheaper than the supermarkets anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Akula

Darc19 wrote: »
    Musgrave's and other wholesalers cannot sell to non registered business.

It is under planning regulations primarily.

So unless you are a registered business, you can't shop there.

It's no cheaper than the supermarkets anyway.

In theory. But have never been turned away. Staff are sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭LeBash

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It is cheaper than the supermarkets depending the items you purchase

And more expensive on others.

It's handy if you want a sh1t ton of something because they will have 50 sh1t tons of everything.

The retailers get discounts off the prices on display.

I use it for getting Christmas bottles for customers. It was more expensive than everywhere by about 1 euro a bottle for Whiskey and Vodka but I was able to walk in and get 200 bottles without messing about because I was always late organising the stuff.

I would have got Hero's and Celebrations as well, maybe 50-80 packs and they'd have been about 2 quid more expensive than the likes of Dunnes and Tesco but there is no chance to get that volume in those places.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Moved from BA

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

From looking at the registration form on the musgraves site, am I right in saying you could just register a business name on cro and then use that to get a card? That seems a bit too easy thou...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

There is lots of things that they are far cheaper than supermarkets on.
    And plenty that the Supermarkets do on special that will work out better

I find for big brand alcohol you are better to go to the supermarket , but for speciality beers and spirits the C&C is usually cheaper. The likes of Tsing Tsao , Chang and Franciscan Well are far cheaper than in off Licence and Supermarket.
    Wine is a bit hit and miss , they often have specials which are good value but rarely on anything I like.

Meats the quality/grades are called out on the label and they are far cheaper for the equivalent grade in a super market. they also discount meats with around 2-3 days left on the shelf life and that can get you very high quality product at a fraction of the price. you can really taste the difference between top grade steak and what you get in your local Lidl/Aldi
    The sizes though of the products are big. Great for family BBQs and if you don't mind freezing .but not for a weekly shop of fresh product.

I go a few times a year and if you know an employee they have friends and family nights through the year that add another 10% discount (alcohol is exempt)

I buy the catering Barrys tea which is a 600 bag box.
    I buy the catering herbs and spices
    They are great for coconut milk , rice and lentils
    I buy popcorn , chomps and tonic water.
    Kitchen roll/Toilet roll
    Large washing powders etc.

So need to have a good look around and have your calculator to get the bargains but they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

You do not need a registered business. I've had 3 accounts and none of them were to a registered business.

Some items are cheaper, way cheaper than supermarkets, some are more expensive. Just pay attention.

Advertisement