Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I move to Watling Street, Dublin 8?

Options
  • 21-04-2021 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Myself and two other girls (all 25) are considering renting an apartment in Watling Street. We would be coming home at different hours alone. I would be really grateful of feedback on the area in terms of safety.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Myself and two other girls (all 25) are considering renting an apartment in Watling Street. We would be coming home at different hours alone. I would be really grateful of feedback on the area in terms of safety.

I just replied to your other thread in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its not the greatest. There is a lot of drug dealing around the area. And watling street just off thomas st is not a place I would go to alone at night.

Personally I wouldn't want to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

The area around Bridgefoot Street and Thomas Street can be quite dodgy with a lot of drug addicts and homeless, gangs of kids, etc. Watling Street is a little off the beaten track which is good in that it's quieter, and bad in that it's a bit isolated.

I've walked through the Thomas/Bridgefoot Street area at many times of day and night and find it's very quiet and peaceful until about 10am, gets to its worst around 6pm, and very quiet again by the early hours of the morning.
    It's not somewhere I'd be keen to live to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I used to walk through this street regularly on my commute. In winter, after dark, I was always very frightened. I was even a bit scared during the day sometimes too! It can be eerily quiet but there are lots of shady characters around so I always felt quite vulnerable as a young woman.

Nothing ever happened, thankfully. But the fear was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'm male and have lived in dodgy parts of Dublin for many years and generally wouldn't think twice about walking at night. Watling Street would have been on the shortest route from a friend's house to home for me for many years. I never walked that way at night. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

I wouldnt recommend it, locals only

It's round the corner from Oliver Bond flats which is still one of the sketchiest complexes in the city

There isn't much passing traffic at night in case you do get hopped on

It's handy for Thomas St shops is about the best thing you could say for it, and the so called Digital Hub area

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's fine, lived there for years with the wife, both walking home and no bother really. You might get a gang of kids now and again but that's more Bridgefoot street and Oliver Bond won't bother you there. There is a massive drying out facility going in there on the corner though so building work might be an issue for you.

There is drug dealing and drunks though.

Edit: The Maltings are also complaining about noise from Guinness'

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Residents in somewhere called "The Maltings" objecting to a brewer that's been there for >200 years before their apartments is a bit ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Apologies for casting aspersions, it was Bridgefoot Street I was thinking of. Although one of the few times I thought I would get mugged was outside the petrol station on Usher's Island, were getting scoped out by a dodgy as feck character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Look at it on Google Streetview and make a decision. Not somewhere I'd want to live really. You'd be fine during the day with just some druggies about but at night nope.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Residents in somewhere called "The Maltings" objecting to a brewer that's been there for >200 years before their apartments is a bit ironic.

It would be if the noise wasn't a result of recent changes. They're also on the EPAs naughty list as they're taking the piss frankly.

Look at it on Google Streetview and make a decision. Not somewhere I'd want to live really. You'd be fine during the day with just some druggies about but at night nope.

While it may be an issue of itself, there's absolutely no one down there at night.

athlone573 wrote: »
    Apologies for casting aspersions, it was Bridgefoot Street I was thinking of. Although one of the few times I thought I would get mugged was outside the petrol station on Usher's Island, were getting scoped out by a dodgy as feck character.

It's a stones throw from Bridgefoot street in fairness and if coming from town youd have to walk past Merchants Quay, somewhere I'd genuinely want to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I had a gander at the street from the oul googly maps from the comfort of my beach apartment in Costa Brava .... looks like a kip, I wouldn't board my dog there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I lived there about 12/13 years ago in my mid twenties and it was generally very safe, but it is so close to town that taxis are for peanuts so there is no need to take any risks. I also walked into town most days, so it was pretty handy for work. But yea, there are plenty of rough types around and lots of drug dealing, but I never encountered trouble. I walked through there more recently on my way to and from work, and it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

There's a bad smell from the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Cycle up and down that street multiple times per week during day and night and barely ever saw anyone there nevermind gangs of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It's fairly dodgy and badly light area in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Unless you're a person that's grown up in a fairly rough place, look like you can fight and are extremely Street wise I wouldn't recommend it.

I grew up in one of the worst parts of the city, not far from it, and I can undoubtedly say its a dump.

If them youg lads give you mouth, and they will eventually, if they sense even the slightest bit of 'windbag' off you you'll be in trouble.

Then there's the endless crack heads.

Advertisement