Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacuum insulated panels

Options
  • 21-04-2021 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

We are doing a deep retrofit of our bungalow built in 1969. One of the things that has come up is a requirement to have the floor slab insulated to acheive a HLI of < 2.0. This has added 20K to the costs due to digging up existing slab and replacing with a new insulated. Does anyone have an idea of the cost per sqm of vacuum insulated panels as an alternative? House is 150sq m.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

A requirement imposed by whom? Are you claiming a grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cuores

Yes, Better Energy communities grant from SEAI. HLI of 2.0 or better is required for the heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Biker1

cuores wrote: »
    We are doing a deep retrofit of our bungalow built in 1969. One of the things that has come up is a requirement to have the floor slab insulated to acheive a HLI of < 2.0. This has added 20K to the costs due to digging up existing slab and replacing with a new insulated. Does anyone have an idea of the cost per sqm of vacuum insulated panels as an alternative? House is 150sq m.

Back in 2016 I got a quote from a certain company at €100 per m2 for their 25mm panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cuores

Thanks biker, was thinking it was an expensive option alright. Looks more and more like a deep retrofit just doesnt stack up on a cost/benefit analysis. Back to the single measures option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

you'd want to have the heating on 24/7 for a lot of the deep retrofit stuff on old buildings to pay itself back in any reasonable timeframe.

I looked at this for my home house. It is a rural 2 story detached built in 1980 with double glazed windows added some time in the 90s. With the modest rate we use heating oil and electricity and the fact that we have a farm that provides us with plenty of windfall firewood, even new windows, cavity pump and attic insulation had a payback time that we didn't consider was reasonable.

Remember SEAI are trying to "sell" their schemes. Their suggested savings and paybacks and all that are based on standard occupancy - i.e. someone at home all the time and whole house heated to room temperature 24/7. That is not the universal case. At home, we are only home in the evenings and we only use the heating when it is really cold outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

cuores wrote: »
    Thanks biker, was thinking it was an expensive option alright. Looks more and more like a deep retrofit just doesnt stack up on a cost/benefit analysis. Back to the single measures option.

Just on the need for the slab to come out and be replaced. I'm in a late 70's deep retrofitted (Enerphit standard) bungalow and the existing slab was not touched (i.e. still uninsulated). House sits at 20ºC all the time with very little heat input needed. Uninsulated slab is compensated by ewi going down to the footings.

Maybe worth thinking about before ruling it out altogether?

Advertisement