Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting free to air without a combi box?

• 21-04-2021 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I moved in to a new house with a Sky dish already here. There are three cables coming out of the wall in the sitting room. 2 for a sky box and the other is a mystery to me.
    I have a smart TV and I don't want to have to get a combi box to get free to air stations. Is there a way with the Sky dish to get free to air on my TV since there is a receiver built into it already?

Thanks

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    Hi,

I moved in to a new house with a Sky dish already here. There are three cables coming out of the wall in the sitting room. 2 for a sky box and the other is a mystery to me.
    I have a smart TV and I don't want to have to get a combi box to get free to air stations. Is there a way with the Sky dish to get free to air on my TV since there is a receiver built into it already?

Thanks

Post the make and model of TV and someone can check its specs. If it has a screw on satellite connection, use one of the ex-sky cables and do a satellite scan to see what you get.
    The third cable with a push on plug is probably the aerial for Saorview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If it's a Sky Q non hybrid LNB then not all channels will tune in. If there's 4 or 6 connections on the LNB then it will most likely work with the TV for FTA satellite channels.

Is there an outdoor aerial? That's most likely connected to the 3rd cable for Saorview channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Cheers for the replies folks, I had a look at the dish there and there are 4 cables coming out of it. I'll get cable and see if I can tune the channels.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Advertisement