Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good birding areas near Dublin?

Options
  • 21-04-2021 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I haven’t been to Dublin, could anyone tell me what the local “hotspots” are for birding in or near Dublin area? What kinds of birds might I expect to see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

frejaya wrote: »
    I haven’t been to Dublin, could anyone tell me what the local “hotspots” are for birding in or near Dublin area? What kinds of birds might I expect to see?

All sorts. Birdwatch Ireland will give an idea.

Herons, Cormorants, Swans on every river

Seabirds on Dublin Bay (Bull Island) and ducks/waders in the estuary, skylarks too

Phoenix Park

East Coast Nature Reserve, there is another hide setup somewhere near Portmarnock too

Finches, tits, sparrows everywhere

Jay's, Pheasants, Treecreepers (Avondale) and Red Kites in Avoca

Grouse, golden plover, and hawks up on the Dublin Mountains (near Sally Gap)

They're the main ones I can think of offhand if you're looking for anything rare or exotic let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 6 frejaya

athlone573 wrote: »
    All sorts. Birdwatch Ireland will give an idea.

Herons, Cormorants, Swans on every river

Seabirds on Dublin Bay (Bull Island) and ducks/waders in the estuary, skylarks too

Phoenix Park

East Coast Nature Reserve, there is another hide setup somewhere near Portmarnock too

Finches, tits, sparrows everywhere

Jay's, Pheasants, Treecreepers (Avondale) and Red Kites in Avoca

Grouse, golden plover, and hawks up on the Dublin Mountains (near Sally Gap)

They're the main ones I can think of offhand if you're looking for anything rare or exotic let us know

Wow that is a lot, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

A lot of the winter visitor species are leaving for their breeding grounds about now but there are still some numbers of shorebirds at Bull Island in Dublin Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 frejaya

A lot of the winter visitor species are leaving for their breeding grounds about now but there are still some numbers of shorebirds at Bull Island in Dublin Bay.

What are some of the year-round residents?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Bull Island is internationally important wetland for wintering waders...but they have pretty much left at this time of year.

Site Guides for Dublin area include Rogerstown and East Coast Nature Reserve:
    https://birdwatchireland.ie/irelands-birds-birdwatch-ireland/where-to-watch/where-to-watch-site-guides/

Summer birds...internationally important colony of Roseate Terns off Skerries north Dublin but not practical to see/visit.

For Dublin summer I'd suggest Howth cliffs, Bray > Greystones, Dun Laoghaire for coastal birds, gulls, migrants, seabirds. Phoenix park for woodland birds including Jay (very shy in Ireland). Wicklow mountains for upland birds, raptors. Suburbia for common/garden birds.

Ireland's Resident Birds:
    https://birdwatchireland.ie/irelands-birds-birdwatch-ireland/list-of-irelands-birds/?habitat=all&bird_size=all&bird_family=all&bird_season=resident&bird_color=all&bird_sort_order=all&title=

Ah. Almost forgot the crows. Closeness to Atlantic prevents deep winter freezes so I believe corvids generally more common in Ireland than e.g. inland continental Europe. We locals don't notice but you might find it unusual :). Choughs (not near Dublin) and the Jays are the hardest to find/see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 rivermisty

If you're on the Southside Ketrels, Ravens and the odd Jay can be found on Killiney Hill along with most of the common songbirds and occasionally a passing buzzard. Terns can be seen from the shore at Dalkey (Coliemore Harbour or Dillon's Pk) diving for sprat in the Sound at this time of year. They nest on one of the rocks north of Dalkey Island and you sometimes see them trying to chase off corvids trying to snatch a chick. Gannets can be seen diving for sprat/mackerel from Killiney Bay and there's a resident Peregrine that often patrols along the shoreline there too. Plenty of Guillemots, Cormorants and the odd Shag along that coast too. Numerous Grey Seals and harbour porpoises with the odd common dolphin too if you're interested.

Advertisement