Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCB from UK to Ireland

• 21-04-2021 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have a question and hoping someone can help!

I have a full 4 years irish license, I want to buy a UK reg car and insurance I live in Scotland now. I am doing this as it is cheaper to buy car and insurance in UK. When I start to build up NCB in UK can I bring the NCB to my new policy in Ireland when I move home? How does this work? Do I have to go with an irish company in the UK? Churchill is the cheapest insurance if I stayed with them for 2 years and had 2 years NCB and went home and got insurance with aviva would they accept that? Hope this makes sense. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You probably need to change to a UK license.

Very little difference in insurance between both countries except possibly for young drivers.

Most insurance companies will accept UK NCB

You can also bring the car home without vrt once you have lived in the UK and owned the car for at least 12 months and keep the car for 6 months when you move back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sineadmooney23

is it worth changing to UK insurance with BREXIT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

is it worth changing to UK insurance with BREXIT?

If you're going to live in the UK then you'll have to get a UK policy anyway. Irish policies only cover UK reg cars temporarily while importing. Anyway, UK policies are much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Darc19 wrote: »
    You probably need to change to a UK license.

Unless they're over 70 they can keep driving on a EU licence in the UK until turning 70.

Advertisement