Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

My first time of the Green Road was on the Mini-Evil last year and I haven't stopped telling others about what a great road it is since then. Mind you, I have yet to try it heading north and the first bit from Laragh looks tough. The combination of that road and the Old Long Hill road past Djouce is a far better way back from Laragh than the busy R755 if you don't facy heading up the Military Road and Sally Gap.
    I also have Boards to thank for introducing me to the delights of Glasvullaun Lane and I'm delighted to see you did it the did it the right way even though it involved a loop.

I did Glasvullaun lane the other way around before and knew from the descent that it was fairly tasty. I kind of enjoyed it but I'm weird when it comes to stupid steep stuff :D
    I put on an 11-32 cassette last night and that really helped, until I got to the top and realised I had stayed on the 28 sprocket!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Had an awful spin today, contrary to the beautiful weather. Roads choc a bloc with cars. Lots of needless beeping. Bunch of absolute geebags on motorbikes gesticulating and revving at me to get in closer to the ditch, which descended into some blind rage shouting. I rode motorbikes for years and if anyone should understand Roadcraft basics like road position, taking the lane and protecting your space, it's biker. Ignorant, aggressive, entitled, fcukin as$h0les. Ruined my spin and my day.
    Tbh, since that Tonya McEvoy verdict I genuinely feel more vulnerable and exposed, disrespected and insignificant on the roads. It's not nice out there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I kind of enjoyed it but I'm weird when it comes to stupid steep stuff :D

Remind us how many times you've done the Angliru!

Very early and very enjoyable 90k for me this morning at 30kph with 1000 up. Rode two abreast with the brother for 60k and then put the boot down on my own on a fairly flat final 30k.

Not wanting to have a go at tractor drivers again, but I met one very early on a quiet road and he was taking up the full road, didn't bother slowing down when I met him on a corner with very little space for us and nearly took both myself and my brother out with his mower which was about a foot wider at the back. He was very young, I would guess an inexperienced driver and I would also guess had probably worked through the night contracting cutting silage. Never had an issue with a tractor in my life before, but the few I've met this week seem distracted and in a hurry.

Other than that, it was a pleasure with great weather and lovely to have the roads to yourself at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

I did around 50k with 1000 meters of climbing. Went up around the Sally gap and Roundwood. My average speed is slowly starting to improve. The ride was somewhat spoiled by a lunatic in an Audi screaming to get out of the way, beeping the horn and then cutting closely in front of me on a blind corner near enniskerry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

112k for me yesterday with 1.7k of up taking in the sally gap, Wicklow gap and sally gap again from Laragh. Won't be repeating this route on a sunny Sunday afternoon anytime soon. Big tailback all the way down the Wicklow gap towards Glendalough and another couple on the military road at Glenmacnass and again at Lough Bray. Will definitely by back to the small l-roads and gravel where possible and avoid the tourist rat-runs. Looked truly horrible for anyone in a car around Glendalough and I could see it getting nasty easily enough.

Met another boardsie who's name I've forgotten for a natter cycling the Military road and a good chat with a few other lads on one of the backroads by the Wicklow gap, so quite sociable for a solo spin.

Slow going at a bit over 6 hours all in and a tiring enough, but glad to be getting back more extended ranges and the opportunity they provide. Will be poring over the maps during the week to pick a more rewarding route for the next long one.

My first time of the Green Road was on the Mini-Evil last year and I haven't stopped telling others about what a great road it is since then. Mind you, I have yet to try it heading north and the first bit from Laragh looks tough. The combination of that road and the Old Long Hill road past Djouce is a far better way back from Laragh than the busy R755 if you don't facy heading up the Military Road and Sally Gap.

It's a lovely way of getting back from Laragh if you want to avoid the gap and the Roundwood road, though personally I find it quite a bit tougher than the Glenmacnass route. Well protected from the wind and a good option when it is blowy enough to make the gap a bit sketchy. There are also some 'entertaining' options on the other side going via Glencoria / Moneystown but also steep and far less direct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where is/what is the green road?

where is/what is the green road?

Coming from Laragh, here. From Old long hill direction, here. A bit steep in spots but well worth the effort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aha, i know the road quite well from the laragh end. i didn't know what it was known as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

fat bloke wrote: »
    Had an awful spin today, contrary to the beautiful weather. Roads choc a bloc with cars. Lots of needless beeping. Bunch of absolute geebags on motorbikes gesticulating and revving at me to get in closer to the ditch, which descended into some blind rage shouting. I rode motorbikes for years and if anyone should understand Roadcraft basics like road position, taking the lane and protecting your space, it's biker. Ignorant, aggressive, entitled, fcukin as$h0les. Ruined my spin and my day.
    Tbh, since that Tonya McEvoy verdict I genuinely feel more vulnerable and exposed, disrespected and insignificant on the roads. It's not nice out there :(

Funny enough I drove down to Wicklow. Am sure there are back roads that dont get much traffic, but the main stretch from Kilmacanogue to Laragh had absolutely heaps of traffic, there was a two mile tail back in the evening coming into Kilmacanogue.

Long story short: no way would I want to be there on a bike.

And like many a country road - it has an 80k speed limit when in reality about two thirds of it should be 60k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Funny enough I drove down to Wicklow. Am sure there are back roads that dont get much traffic, but the main stretch from Kilmacanogue to Laragh had absolutely heaps of traffic, there was a two mile tail back in the evening coming into Kilmacanogue.

Long story short: no way would I want to be there on a bike.

And like many a country road - it has an 80k speed limit when in reality about two thirds of it should be 60k.

Yeah. The wife went on a long 100k spin beyond Celbridge and those roads, which you'd normally expect to be busy, were very quiet she said. They'd a lovely spin. I think everyone hit the Dublin and Wicklow mountains for the day:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

great sunday spin from ballyshannon up callagheen windfarm and round logh melvin cant beat those roads on a day like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Yep, the thing to do on a day like yesterday is to head to the 3 hills south of Laragh - Elliott, Slievemaan, Brown Mountain - very quiet, as usual. But then we made the mistake of going up Glenmacnass afterwards and the last 30 minutes of slog descent from Kippure mast road to Powerscourt had me worried I was going to delaminate my carbon wheels. Crone woods was absolute carnage. There must've been people stuck there for well over an hour going nowhere. We had to walk the bikes down the ditch. Totally wasn't worth it. There was a line of traffic about 1.5km long at 11 stretching back towards Laragh in the vale of Clara with people trying to get into clara lara.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out for a club spin on Saturday and managed another 100km at a decent pace. We decided to stop for coffee at the Faraway Tree Cafe - a cycle cafe just North of Donadea Forest Park - I'd recommend it if you're passing by.

Had plans to head out yesterday but by lunchtime, a foot injury from earlier in the year had decided to wake from hibernation (it was an unfortunate side effect of an achilles injury). I reckon that I'm developing a bunion and I'm in agony today. Hopefully I'm wrong but it looks like I could be off the bike again for another while* :(

* although it might also keep me from having to do the housework for a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Was too wrecked yesterday evening after a day in Shops/Ikea/Visiting, so was up early this morning and a few hours around glencullen and featherbeds. Was nice and sunny again, but the fly tipping and rubbish that about the mountain roads really is depressing. It doesn't appear to be picnickers/walkers etc dropping rubbish, its people actively filling their cars and driving up there and dumping all over the shop. Drives me mad.
    Had the mountains to myself at that time of the morning, managed to get my 7,500m climbing for May done, which I'm delighted with as I didnt have a bike for the first 10 days of the months

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

Got out yesterday morning went up to naas, kill over the hill and down at brittas and headed back towards Blessington.

Traffic was cat and there was no regard for anyone on a pushbike. After Blessington traffic was far lighter. Met a lot of cyclists coming back up the n81 but none heading my direction that I saw. Headwind all the way down.

Got almost 90km in with 700m, most of which I felt like were on that road up to saggart woods, not sure of the name.

Happy with that on top of 80km from Saturday for a good weekend of cycling. Planning on commuting this week if things go to plan buy have about 10kg of paperwork home this evening which isn't going on my back in the morning. Will have to get a plan B for tomorrow otherwise I'll let myself off the hook.

Super weather but silage season has the country roads very busy with tractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I didn't manage to get out at the weekend to take advantage of the glorious weather, so while spending two hours shovelling soil in the heat this afternoon I was fantasising about getting a spin in tonight and spent a good deal picking out a good short route in my head.

Got the young fella to bed, dishes done, out on the bike. I found a lovely little back road about three weeks ago, looking forward to riding it again, around the bend and... "LOOSE CHIPPINGS 25KPH". Poxy Kildare CC! The road was perfect three weeks ago, wtf is this about?

Grind my through it because I'm not arsed going around on the main roads, get back into the swing of things, and start heading for Lyons Hill. T-junction, turn left and... "LOOSE CHIPPINGS 25KPH". Fuuuuuuuu...

So yeah, it was nice but could've been better. I wish there was a map where CoCos could mark where they've put down loose chippings so we could avoid them easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Also couldn't get out on the bike over the weekend (although we made the most of the weekend by walking Clogherhead, dip in the sea at Mornington etc, can not complain at all - except for the poor dead horse at the beach... lets just kids learned a lot about cardiac arrest that morning), so went out for quick 40k ride in the evening after work. Usual Drogheda surroundings - towards Duleek etc and the highlight was of course Carnes road to Bellewstown - some climb!! And amazing views, and plenty of time to take the view in while crawling up the hill! :)

buffalo wrote: »
    Poxy Kildare CC!
    got sent this, this evening, to a whatsapp group i'm on, i think all the other guys in the group are based in kildare:
    "Just a word of warning with all the resurfacing going on.....came down into Ardclough today and the bottom of the hill had been resurfaced...didn’t cop it as it was in shade but the bike almost went out from under me. Surface was so fresh and loose."

followed by
    "Yeah barberstown, from round about to maynooth loose surface. Stones pinging off me and Richard Saturday from passing cars, ouch,"

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    Also couldn't get out on the bike over the weekend (although we made the most of the weekend by walking Clogherhead, dip in the sea at Mornington etc, can not complain at all - except for the poor dead horse at the beach... lets just kids learned a lot about cardiac arrest that morning), so went out for quick 40k ride in the evening after work. Usual Drogheda surroundings - towards Duleek etc and the highlight was of course Carnes road to Bellewstown - some climb!! And amazing views, and plenty of time to take the view in while crawling up the hill! :)

Ah no. I often meet people on horseback out that way :(

I was actually out at Clogherhead pier on Sunday morning at 5am and then rode on up the coast, I've family out that way and weekends on sunny days even without covid ain't nice. You want a nice walk on a beach head through the village and take a right at the church to continue north up the coast. Walking around the head is nice on a week day morning but not on a sunny weekend.

45k out and back with a crosswind the whole way last night. Nearly 700 climbing at 27kph. Tried to make peace with my tractor foes last night by being nice and pulling over for a guy behind me on a very narrow road. Not as much as an acknowledgment from the driver and, typically, the road went downhill just after and I was stuck behind him for the next 15 minutes eating flying grass and dirt. The b*stard!!

Nice to get out, and enjoying the evening rides. Trying to get in 100km during the week to add to the long spin on a Sunday and can definitely feel my fitness and strength improving as a result.

Ah no. I often meet people on horseback out that way :(

I was actually out at Clogherhead pier on Sunday morning at 5am and then rode on up the coast, I've family out that way and weekends on sunny days even without covid ain't nice. You want a nice walk on a beach head through the village and take a right at the church to continue north up the coast. Walking around the head is nice on a week day morning but not on a sunny weekend.

Towards Port beach? Thanks, I will check it out, my kids have not been that way before. The Clogherhead head walk was not overly busy on Saturday, the car park at Port Oriel was nearly full though. We are truly spoilt for choice when it comes to nice beaches here in Louth. I met folks who had driven up from Mullingar etc to Clogherhead beach - must be hard for landlocked county folks in summer.

The horse at mornington, there was a large group out riding, but this unfortunate four year old horse took a cardiac arrest and died instantly, according to it's rider who was standing around waiting for tractor to move it. She was pretty nonchalant about it but must have been heartbroken about it, it was a sad sight to see such a majestic creature lying dead like that.

well, that was a beautiful evening. 63km in total, out to bellewstown. 650m climbing.

thankfully that hateful little **** of a dog just a couple of km north of ardcath seems to be there no longer, i've passed four times i think in the last few weeks without being chased (i'd not been out that way since december or earlier)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

extended commute for me this evening...cc out to the yellow house then straight up to the Line via Cruagh...nice new bit of tarmac near the third bridge, they should have gone right to the corner!!
    down Cunard and around to Mt Seskin and then headed for home over McDonaghs lane ,however KCC have put another layer of chippings on the nice buttery smooth tarmac that was btw Kilteel cross and Oldmill (you win some etc)...great evening sunshine ☀️☀️ 65km 1000m of Up

well, that was a beautiful evening. 63km in total, out to bellewstown. 650m climbing.

Agreed, it was perfect out there & I was out that way too, and just when I thought Carnes road was hard, I found an ever lumpier road to get up to Bellewstown. I can't find a name for that road, but Strava segment is called Ladymore road.

https://www.strava.com/segments/783661

Wait a second, that's just 4.3% gradient?!! :eek:

https://www.strava.com/activities/5396992983

ladymoor is deceptive because there's so much up and down; it's not a climb per se, it's a few of them stitched together.

if you want some more fun, bellewstown bridge has a lovely steep kick right at the very start.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/4185841

and of course, the climb to the racecourse maxes out at above 20%
    https://www.strava.com/segments/4185815

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

We must have all been up that way this evening - my first time up Cairnes road/hill - new max HR and 1 min power :) stinger of a climb

total 75km with 650 up at 31km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

buffalo wrote: »
    I didn't manage to get out at the weekend to take advantage of the glorious weather, so while spending two hours shovelling soil in the heat this afternoon I was fantasising about getting a spin in tonight and spent a good deal picking out a good short route in my head.

Got the young fella to bed, dishes done, out on the bike. I found a lovely little back road about three weeks ago, looking forward to riding it again, around the bend and... "LOOSE CHIPPINGS 25KPH". Poxy Kildare CC! The road was perfect three weeks ago, wtf is this about?

Grind my through it because I'm not arsed going around on the main roads, get back into the swing of things, and start heading for Lyons Hill. T-junction, turn left and... "LOOSE CHIPPINGS 25KPH". Fuuuuuuuu...

So yeah, it was nice but could've been better. I wish there was a map where CoCos could mark where they've put down loose chippings so we could avoid them easily.

Yes, we appear to be at the height of the "KCC ruining roads" season.....happens every year. Came across several newly-laid sections of 'surface dressing' on my spin today. Aside from the heavy riding surface it produce, they leave so much loose chippings lying on the finished road - absolutely lethal when cornering or braking.

I've said for years that if county road engineers were forced to travel around their respective counties by bike, we'd have a much smoother roads network all round !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Got out this evening shortly after 4.30. What a great evening it was. I went up from Rathfarham to Cruagh ad o up Military road. Down Cunard Road, then around the reservoir and took the detour up Glasavullan Lane (!). Back up around piperstown Road, up to Military road and back home the way I came up.

I really could have done with either eating something before leaving or taking an energy bar or something with me but such was my excitement to get out I didn't bother and really paid for it in the second half of the spin, but despite that a great way to spend an evening.

44km with 880m.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5396067182

Advertisement