Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

First club road race - got my head kicked in. Im addicted

How was it? I'm considering taking the plunge in the next while. Any tips or advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

killybegs, glengesh, glencolumbcille, carrick 70km nice tailwind back to killybegs though, nice and warm once the rain stopped

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ludicrously humid out there this evening. the air just felt dead.

I was sweating buckets playing in the garden with the kids. Almost instantly got more comfortable when a few spits of rain came down. Herself wasn't so lucky, she was less than 8km away sheltering from an absolute downpour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The warm dampness brought out all the evening insects - I could have done with one of those PPE face visors on tonight's ride.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, same for me, flies everywhere. managed to get one right in the eye at one point, that was a 'drop anchors instantly' moment, thankfully on a graveyard quiet back lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Isot10

556755.JPG

Yesterdays cycle :

Approx 70k on the road/ greenway.
    You can go in either direction, it involves 2 ferry's , available on Wednesdays , Saturdays and Sundays for July and August.

3hour wait in Clare island if you go clockwise , 20 mins if you go anticlockwise:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Club spin this morning and we headed up aroind NCD. My first time up there is several months, it was a welcome change of route.
    Lucan > Garristown > Naul > Rolestown and coffee in Dunboyne before heading home.

There was a headwind on the outward leg that seemed to still be there on the way home. What made it feel worse was the cool temperature. Had my Galibier Izoard Pro gilet on so was nice and cosy despite bare arms.

I replaced my chain on Thursday and reckoned the cassette was ok. Took it out for a 35km spin yesterday with no issues on the flat or climbs but for a good bit of today the chain was slipping or jumping off - PITA :(

Exactly 100km @ 29.0km/h with 571m.
    https://strava.app.link/ldd42Atlphb

i see you passed the airfield at ballyboughal. i don't think i've been past there since someone (i think of this parish) had one of his overshoes shredded by dogs on that road, but that was a good three or four years ago i think.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I recall seeing a solo bearded cyclist somewhere around there and thinking 'was that mb?' Probably not though.

• Advertisement

i didn't get out on the bike till after 2pm so t'wasn't me, honest, guv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

devonp wrote: »
    extended commute , cc to yellow hse then up cruagh to the line , down cunard back over to Tallaght bypass mt seskin and home over mcDonaghs lane to leixlip

on my way out to Rathfarham 2 very fancy ebikes?? passed and left me for dead. man and a lady in the bike lane prob 30kph+ min
    both were pedaling , bikes had leather paniers at the back , pulled in at Rathgar but across the rd...modeled on WWII messanger /courier bikes...nice looking very wide tyres motorbikish width ...any idea of brand type?

What you describe sounds like a Van Moof

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Not much of a cycle and more of a test drive but finally got a bike at last today after many months of waiting. It probably weighs more than all your bikes put together but its an absolute machine and I cant wait to pack the bags and put some decent kms on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Being Meath bound for what feels like forever we headed to Wicklow, I plotted a route there and back, taking in Mount Seskin, Bohernabreena, Sally Gap to Laragh via Lugulla, Wicklow Gap and home. Misty and cold up high but relatively dry. Happy enough with my fitness but still can't love Wicklow Gap and Lake drive road is still hateful. 180k with 2200m up. Tired is an understatement.

Over and back the Wicklow gap for me today, 100km, 1300M, lots of cyclists, bikers and traffic, forgot how popular the place is on Sundays, will head in a different direction next week,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Drogheda, Clogherhead, Port beach for banana stop.
    Tenure, Oldbridge, Donore and back to Bettystown.

Lovely seaside spin for first half.
    Rolling hills for second.
    I do like that climb up from the Boyne to Donore.

Great to see the amount of cyclists about the place.
    Roads very quiet earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Lovely out this morning, 8 of us.
    Drogheda- Collon-Lobinstown-Ardee-Tallonstown-Castlebellingham-Annagassan-Grangebellew-Drogheda-Coffee at Mother Hughes.

85kms, ave. 30.0kph.
    First time this year for me to average 30kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Cracker of a day for a spin down in the Blooms today. Started in Kinnity and went up the Wolftrap. Had a bit of a scare on the descent when a young deer hopped across the road. I wasn't going too fast and it was about 50m away but there were a lot of loose chippings on the road after it being resurfaced so braking or swerving were not really an option!!
    After that I went rambling on roads I hadn't been on and found the Ridge of Capard. It's a little brute. Three times I saw the garmin hit 20% and every time I looked it was well above 10%. The views on the way up were fantastic, I think maybe the best I've seen in the Blooms. Loved it!!
    Had words in the car park at the top with some half Ape/Donkey hybrid about just how close of a pass he made. Not fully sure if he understood human but a couple of the other hikers seemed impressed with my sign language.
    I rolled on over to Clonaslee for the coffee and got chatting with some sound chaps from Wolftrap CC and spun over towards Kinnity and up Lackarhoe with them. I got an almighty cramp in both my hamstring and quad right at the top when I stood out of the saddle and had to lie in the ditch for a couple of minutes, hasn't happened me in a long long time. Probably not enough fluids, only drank half a bottle up to that point. That was enough for me, descended back down the Wolftrap to Kinnity and wrapped up with 77km and just over 1000m
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5536982245

Went out this morning at about eleven and it was cloudy so I never thought to put sunscreen on. I am visibly displaying that mistake now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

After a good gallop yesterday with Gorey cc touring group..80 km , 30.5kph and 600 meters i decided to help the tourers club csptain out with a new group of newbie tourers. Gorey to Arklow, Woodenbridge, Avoca, Meeting of the waters and stopped in Ballinaclash. Back the exact same route. 70km avg 26kph and 500 meters. Felt like a real recovery spin after yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Been doing a charity challenge this week as normally this weekend I and a ragtag bunch of others cycle cork to Roscommon to raise money for epilepsy Ireland.

We opted to do it virtually this year and just asked everyone to do 100 in a week. That being a slow week for me, I did 300, and took the monthly total to over 1000, but also did a part of our real route on Road Grand Tours.

Cycled with another person for the first time in 2 years (excepting 5km with magicbastarder when paths crossed last year) during the week too so it was a much relaxed week.

Today I just did stocking lane and back down cruagh and home. 44 km. Went up faster than before too which surprised me again, and once again got the fun but cagey descent on the Volare as it really wants to hurtle downhill.

I've personally raised feck all, but as a group we've raised a fair bit of money and hopefully it'll be done properly next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Nice Day for a spin. 133 KMs around Lough Ree. There were loads of people out so the roads were busy. I dunno if its just me or not, but thankfully (and touch wood) everybody gave me plenty of space. Thoroughly enjoyed the day. So 133kms @25.8 kph. Looking at strava afterwards I saw that I'm 75 kms off 3,000 for the year so far. That,ll be my objective now before Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bob b

30k today @18 kmh average, but that was with my 10 year old son. I took him up howth hill and he didn't stop telling me he was tired, but didn't stop. Massive smile on his face at the top and we went down into howth. Massive smile at the bottom too. All the things he was saying - the feeling of the speed picking up, tears in the eyes, flies in the mouth reminded me why it's such a cool hobby. The traffic was well behaved so we are both going out again tomorrow.

When he got home the first thing he said to his mum was that he needed another bike😀

bob b wrote: »
    the first thing he said to his mum was that he needed another bike��
    ONE OF US
    ONE OF US

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭plodder

Isot10 wrote: »
    556755.JPG

Yesterdays cycle :

Approx 70k on the road/ greenway.
    You can go in either direction, it involves 2 ferry's , available on Wednesdays , Saturdays and Sundays for July and August.

3hour wait in Clare island if you go clockwise , 20 mins if you go anticlockwise:)
    Did the Westportif on Sat, so this should be easy by comparison. Does the ferry not go from Cloughmore though? It looks here like it's going from Corraun...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Friday I cycled from Dublin - Waterford, long time on my bucket list and the stars aligned with a day off work and Mrs PF driving with PF junior. thought it'd be a good way to arrive for my 50th birthday on Saturday. Strava saying 163km in total, 5:54 moving time @27.7 kph and 6:39 elapsed time - the guts of this was messing about with my see sense rear light which decided to stop working :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

On a family staycation at the moment and I’m using my new found Dad ability to get up early on holidays to go for some spins.

Ticked off a bucket list climb yesterday - 98k @27.5 with 1100 up around the Inishowen peninsula including the Mamore gap from the Buncrana side. Needed to stop half way up to catch my breath but was able to get going again and make it up and over on the 2nd try. It’s so intimidating looking up at it from the base. It’s pretty much just a wall. I needed to Zig Zag my way up the steepest section and it’s the first time I felt I didn’t have enough gears (28-11 cassette).

Wind depending I’ll try give it another shot this week or maybe do it in reverse (had a head wind last time so don’t wanna do that again)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Fair play for riding up Mamore gap on such low (high?) gearing. Just looking at the photo makes me nervous.

spare a thought for ronan mclaughlin who climbed that side 63 times to get his everesting record...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

spare a thought for ronan mclaughlin who climbed that side 63 times to get his everesting record...

I actually thought about him after I got to the top. Insane achievement / fitness. Hard to comprehend how difficult it must have been

Advertisement