Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Commute from Inchicore up to Tallaght bypass and out to blessington and back home . Just under 50km avg 28.8kph 330 meters . Traffic as usual heavy from Inchicore to Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Hurt my back last week messing about with the kids. Gave it a decent wallop, enough to make me miss out on doing the Evil and leave the last few days at work fairly uncomfortable. Anyway, I felt a bit better today so decided to go out on the club spin and take it handy.

The group was rolling nice and smooth at a good pace and I minded myself and felt good. Too good. Got carried away a bit and put in a good dig going up over a small ramp, hopped up out of the saddle and something gave way. Sat back down fairly sharpish but over the next 10km or so it just got worse and worse every time I put any pressure on. Eventually I had to completely ease up and limped the last 15km home with pains shooting down from my arse across my hip and down my leg. Silly bollix.

60 km@35kmh and 15@20-25kmh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Another evening spin for me. Wasn't sure what direction to go and in the end I headed off towards Howth (from Leixlip).

Loads of cyclists out along the Clontarf-Sutton stretch including a few groups that should really have singled out rather than doubling up.

Anyhow 74km @ 28.8 which I'm happy with given that I was knackered even before I headed out.

https://strava.app.link/VlhJ7cfviib

On holidays in Co. Longford. Took the bike and first evening out broke rear gear cable and managed to break the bottom bracket. Found a local bike shop and got it fixed.

Out again last night and did 50k fast. Even the backroads here are smooth and rolling with no major climbs. 50k at 34.2kph with 250 climbing. Few heavy showers and got soaked but nice to get out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I have just gotten utterly drenched out on the bike by someone driving through a large puddle. My fault really, I sped up thinking I'd make it past the puddle before he reached it. And I didn't have my gilet on cos it wasn't actually raining.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got totally drenched. my bananas were rotten inside so i had to throw them away uneaten. it was meant to be dry, but it couldn't decide out there whether it was going to rain heavily, drizzle or just threaten both at the same time. i couldn't get into any rhythm, and my stomach was complaining due to the pints i had last night. it was rotten humid and my glasses kept steaming up.

still, glad i got out. and my new galibier shorts are great; perfectly comfy even when sodden.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was out up your way MB. Just over 100km around NCD in a club spin at just under 29km/h with 570m.

Coincidentally, like you, my two bananas were well over-ripe but because I was starving, I ate both of them.

We had a little bit of rain but not that much. I was wearing a Galibier gilet which I should have taken off as I was drenched from sweat (it was cool when I set out).

My right knee was giving out to me most of the way. I'm getting old for this exercise malarkey!

https://strava.app.link/q0yFMBgelib

Headed into Gorey for a club spin, out towards inch and took a left turn which brought us a different way into Coolgreaney , headed for Croghan and did 2 loops of the climb, the goats 🐐 did 3 loops. Headed from Croghan to woodenbridge, Arklow and back to Gorey. I headed out main road to Ballycanew, Ballyedmund and home.

95 km avg 27.9kph and 950 meters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I think I saw your group near Ballyboughal. I was in an Audax Ireland jersey doing the Heartbreak 200 - so called because you're never really that far from the start.

https://strava.app.link/99AsODhLlib

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Advertisement

Out with Gorey cc touring group, headed towards courtown, across to Ballymoney, Tara hill , Castletown, Arklow, Beeches Road to Avoca, Woodenbridge. Up that climb at back of garage across to Coolgreany, Inch and back to Gorey. 65 km avg 27kph 645 meters.

Indexing was all over the place; couldn't access 3 small cogs so ran out of gears on descents. Eventually at Inch gears moved and was stuck in small cog till Gorey 😛.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Pleasant spin taking in Sally gap, Wicklow gap, Blessington and home via Ballinascorney for 101k with 1.4k of up. First outing with the new DT Swiss ER 1600 rear wheel which feels so much nicer than the wheel it replaced. Also saw a bit of speed improvement for similar effort, though that could also be the cooler temps today. Still waiting on the end cap adaptors to swap over the front wheel but well pleased so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Here you go! https://www.audaxireland.org/audax/permanents/heartbreak-200-permanent/

The same organiser has a route from Swords to Bailieborough. https://www.audaxireland.org/audax/permanents/loughanleagh-200-permanent/

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

52km today, 22.6kph average, 528m climbing, just getting back into cycling it so happy enough. Bandon-kilbritain-ballinspittle-kinsale-innishannon-bandon.

How fast should I be aiming to do this, before I go joining a club again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Did 100km on the Copper Coast for first time yesterday. Started at Dunmore East and headed to Tramore, Bunmahon, Kilmacthomas, Greenway to city, and back out to Dunmore East again. Roads were very quiet and it's all constant ups and down so legs were feeling it. Lovely spot and the cycling route markers everywhere are great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Got in 2 spins

60k to Skryne via Duleek and Senchalstown

35k from Skyne back to Bettystown via Duleek and cutting over by Mount Hanover.

With a great big feed in between.

Lovely day all in all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

I’ve never been in a club but have passed one or two of their beginner groups. I’d say you’re already fit and fast enough to get on just fine.

In a group you can easily add 5km/hr or more to your speed so you probably would be above beginner group fitness already.

Sat spin. 106km. Cork-Kinsale-Old Head-Timoleague-Bandon-Crossbarry-Cork.

1200m climbing

Fitness is improving nicely. Still had reasonable strength in the legs at the end. Planning to hit Shay Elliott and a few other climbs in Wicklow in a couple of weeks.

Still living in hope that they will resurface the coastal stretch from Pink Elephant to Timoleague. It’s a right bone shaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭G1032

Charity event at work ongoing at the minute. It's to run/cycle/walk/swim, or just move, for 307km in 6 weeks. It's in memory of a guy who worked with us who sadly passed away early this year. The 307km comes from Galway to Ballina and back, via Clifden. The guy who the charity is in aid of used to travel that route.

I had the bright idea that I'd do the 307km on my own in one spin. Farthest I'd gone before was 215km. Also had to cycle to the route and back again though!

338km all in is what it ended up being. Woke up not feeling 100% but said I'd go anyway and see how I felt. Not great was still the answer 🙈.

HR was high for the effort I was doing. Was constantly feeling empty early on. Couldn't keep fed. Then it started to rain. It was just miserable and I felt miserable. Headache (mild, but there nonetheless) and cold. So after 100km I had more or less decided I'd had enough and would call it a day and try again on Sunday. Rang my wife to come pick me up but she didn't answer 😂 so I just kept going and things started to get better. The rain cleared and the day brightened up. It got warmer. Took off my gilet and just kept pedaling, tipping along trying to save as much energy as I could. Fast forward to about 260km and then I started to suffer. Left knee was sore for a while at this stage and I was struggling to eat any more. Forcing food into myself. Unforgiving road surface too and into the wind. At about 295km I stopped again. I had just run out of drinks (8 liters drank in total all day). I bought a Turkish Delight bar and a 500ml bottle of Isotonic drink. This stuff was like rocket fuel. Within 15 minutes of restarting after that I felt the best I had all day. Legs came good. HR started to go down even though my power was increasing. Body felt energised. I just felt great. 20km from home I bought another isotonic drink and headed for home. The 307km route was done at this stage. Still felt good for the remainder of the spin but was glad to get home and in off the roads. I was 12 hours and 19 minutes pedaling and it took 13 hours and 48 minutes door to door.

Did just under an hour recovery ride yesterday and took today off the bike!!

https://strava.app.link/nmy7swh6mib

• Advertisement

chapeau!

that was some speed to maintain for that long.

Ah here.

I was feeling sorry for myself.

Wasn't feeling 100% so took it handy.

26k/h for 65k

Drogheda Up coast to Port Beach round the top and home through Sandpit.

Serious going out west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

That’s some going! Well done on sticking with it

Ha great minds think alike!!!! Left at the pub in Togher to head back in? Did that same route this morning, wasn't yourself who gave me a shout was it, I was sat at the car park for the beach on the coast road being lazy eating my crackers and jam. It's a nice spot to sit for a while when it's quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

175km / 1100m / ~24km/h

Attempted and failed to finish this due to a mechanical. Already looking forward to getting it done on the next outing.

https://www.audaxireland.org/audax/permanents/heartbreak-200-permanent/

Having spent the last week cycling in Westmeath and Longford, I am just realising how bad the roads here in Cork are. Even the back roads in the Midlands are smooth. I cycle regularly in all of the spots you mention here and the potholes on most of the roads are incredible.

On the route I use there are very few potholes. In fact I can’t recall a single one from the whole route. The stretch I mentioned is bone shaking because the surface is rough with the final 1 cm approx. of chip and tar layer removed in patches and strips.

There’s no real risk of denting a rim for example.

Wouldn’t want to put anyone off cycling what is a really nice stretch of coastline.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Was staying at the inlaws last week and did a similar look. Kilmacsimon - Timoleague - Old Head - Kinsale - Charlesfort - Innishannon.

From Ballinadee to Timoleague and onto Pink Elephant was rough. But still a great place to cycle around. Although next time I might reverse the direction, headwind all the way to the Pink Elephant.

• Advertisement

Little spin today.

12k each way to DIFE.

2nd Pfizer in the arm!!!

Advertisement