Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I got up nice and early and drove in to Tallaght this morning all set for a big day on the hills. Less than a kilometer done and I noticed the bike was bouncing peculiarly along the road. Pulled over and checked the front wheel. Rim was fine but the tire had a decent nick on the sidewall and the rubber was beginning to split alongside it. Don't know how much longer it would have lasted but I'm fairly sure knowing my luck it would be perfectly fine until I hit about 60 on a descent.

Turned around, got back in the car and drove home utterly disgusted.

3.5km with 14m climbing, average of 23.9kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Nice solo from Naas to Royal Canal at Enfield, then on to Longford. I was surprised that Longford had its own branch, avoiding the fork to Clondara.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

eight times past my house - twice in the last five months.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They were put in in the days when it had hundreds of trucks heading to the tiphead. As well as the normal bin trucks, lots of tipper trucks brought rubble etc. to layer the rubbish. Tipper truck drivers are typically paid per load so there is a natural temptation to hurry along to squeeze another load in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jesus that's hard to believe!! I use that feature all the time.

I've been in the shed a lot of late for a variety of reasons, but got out this morning at first light for just short of 100km.

It rained alot overnight and a lot of leaves fell so it really felt like my first proper winter spin, even if it was very mild and lovely and sunny.

The brother joined me for about 60k and the whole spin flew. Covered in muck from head to toe when I got home.

After two years of not looking after my bike properly and paying the price with lots of expensive repairs over the summer, I gave it a thorough clean afterwards and got rid of a layer of caked on mud and cow *****.

97.31km in total with 847m climbing at 30.1kph

https://www.strava.com/activities/6125335967

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Just back from 8 days in Spain. Flew to Valencia and travelled home from Malaga. Glorious weather, 23 to 28 degrees, no rain and light breezes. 832kms over 7.5 days so average 110km a day approx. Overnight stops were, Puerto De Sagunto, Gandia, Alicante, Cartagena, Garrucha, Roquetas de Mar, Salobrena and Malaga. First 4 days flat but second 4 days a bit hilly but no real mountains.

found a bike shop in Malaga to pack our bikes and drop us to the airport so made that part of the trip very easy. Flew both directions with Ryanair. simple, quick check in both ends and no issue with the bikes. We packed them in cardboard boxes from LBS.

Stayed in cheap hotels (2*) Average cost about 26 to 30 per night per person. Breakfast included in some. Stayed mostly on N roads (N332/N340) which are extremely quiet mostly as they are usually paralled by motorways.

Usual bit of getting lost especially in the last 3 or 4k when trying to find hotel but a quick look at the phone sorts it out. Had a saddle bag (24 litres) and bar bag (7 litres) which comfortably held everything we needed

so a successful trip and a fairly easy one for anyone maybe starting off a bit of light cycle touring.

Headed out for a longer commute to work this morning and took in a few hills along the way (Newcastle & Slade hills). It was the first cold morning this side of summer and it really made you know that winter is coming. Heading up "Turf Bog Lane" near Kilteel, I could see what I thought was frost on the roof of a parked car but a minute later I passed a car sitting in a gateway waiting to pull out onto the road and I could hear their wipers rubbing against frost. However, despite the cold, it was lovely and fresh. I was more conscious of the low sun ahead of me for a good distance.

40km @ 25.5km/h with 375m: https://www.strava.com/activities/6144504614

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It was apparently 2 degrees when I left at 7am, don't mind the the cold much when I'm going up but it was freezing when descending. Need stronger gloves next time. Sunrise from the viewpoint was worth it though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6144354288

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TFW you find out that if you'd only tried a tiny bit harder, you'd have gotten a PR on a well known climb; i missed my PR on the climb from howth village by 4 seconds. i didn't think i'd gone nearly fast enough to grab it so didn't push. looks like the wind was stronger than i anticipated.

speaking of which, i must petition fintan's high school to put a flag back on their flagpole so you get a last minute check on wind direction and speed before deciding which approach to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Yesterday evening, left work at 7pm heading to Fairview to collect tickets from my daughter. It was an interesting spin.

Going through Finglas, three tracksuited heads upturned a shopping trolley about 30m in front of me, I was able to avoid thankfully.

The protected cycle lane on Griffith Ave is covered in leaves, quite dark too, and requires some concentration.

Cycling up past the Bonnington hotel, motorist parps the horn, motions towards the crappy cycle lane, caught up with him at the lights, asked him if I was visible enough ( 2 rear lights ), he replied that Iwas but should be in the cycle lane etc, informed him that I was under no legal obligation to use same, and that in case he was wondering why other motorists were flashing their lights at him, it was because his rear lights were out, therefore his car was not roadworthy as such. He simply raised his window!

Moments later 2 halfwits on a moped pulled across me when I was abput 10m from them.

Sounds like I stumbled across the film set from "Kin", I was glad to get home!

New bike spin on Saturday morning!

Picked it up after work on Friday and got out at first light yesterday ahead of the rain. Strong crosswinds most of the way but great to get the feel of a new bike under me. Roads were dry and very little muck for the time of year.

One horrible close pass from a pickup truck near the end of the spin when the driver felt the need to nearly knock me off the bike with oncoming traffic only to join a line of traffic at a junction a few hundred yards up the road.

Anyway, 67km with 600m climbing at 32kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Brief spin yesterday along south Dublin coast, nice apart from a wasp flying into vents in helmet, getting caught and stinging me.

Not the most pleasant experience

got out for three loops of howth this afternoon. on the way up for the last time, a chap came downhill in the opposite direction in full chris froome tuck, wearing a large backpack. was a little surreal looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

90km with just over 1000m climbing on mostly little bohreens up in Sligo today. Left the in laws shortly after 9am. Got the usual weird looks when I said I'd be doing about 80 or 90km. The weather was quite chilly for the first 20km or so with a bit of fog hanging around but once I got past that it was quite nice.

I did a good stretch along a blue signposted cycling route. Joined it at the Ladies Brae and followed it along the shoulder of the Ox mountains past the wind farm on Kings Mountain then out past Lough Easky, Masshill and on to Lough Talt. Some of the surfaces were in rough enough condition with plenty of sheep sh!t, grass down the middle and moss and algae in shaded spots making for a couple of ropey descents and wheelspin on climbs. I can honestly say there was barely a flat inch along there and the headwind added to making it a tough enough spin on that part of the route but it was great to be out just rambling on completely deserted roads

Dropped in to the mother for a cuppa and a chat and then had a lovely tailwind pretty much all the way through Cloonacool, Coolaney, Colooney and back to base. Even picked up a highly wind assisted KOM along the way.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6164379465

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

In Amsterdam for the long weekend, hired a couple of city bikes from our hotel to get around. Great way of exploring the city while marvelling at the outstanding cycling infrastructure. I am aware that Amsterdam is at one end of the spectrum when it comes to cycling facilities but it really is remarkable how enjoyable and efficient a means of transport cycling can feel in a large capital city. Although, to tell the truth, some of the busier and narrower cycle lanes in parts of the city centre did feel a bit intimidating (e.g. close overtakes at speed) even during the weekend; I'm sure they would be an 'interesting' experience at rush hour.

Got a flat tyre late on Saturday and my first reaction was to look for a repair shop. Inevitably there was one just round the corner but they were about to close and unable to help there and then, although they offered to lend me a bike until Monday morning when they would be able to get it fixed. That option didn't quite fit with our weekend plans so I was already contemplating a miserable Saturday evening somehow struggling back to the hotel (about 10 km away) to swap out the bike when the guy in the shop suggested to 'give the hotel a call and make it their problem rather than yours'.

Sound advice really. In less than 5 minutes the hotel had somebody Whatsapp me asking for my location and a mobile mechanic was dispatched with a promise they would arrive in 10-15 minutes ... which was spot on. Funny thing is I was keeping my eye out for a van when suddenly this lad turns up on (of course!) a cargo bike. 😀

In a few minutes he had the punctured tube replaced and I was back in business. Had a nice chat with him while he was working on the bike and learned that it was actually his company (MyHotelBike) that provides the bike rental service, through the hotel. They provide branded bikes for each hotel and take care of all maintenance and repairs. Looked them up afterwards: they have over 5000 bikes in over 400 hotels, mostly in the Netherlands. Very interesting business and certainly a very good customer experience.

Have the day off work so headed down around Blessington lakes this morning for a 100km spin. The rain wasn't too much of an issue (just avoid the puddles) but the wind was tough going. Had a headwind for the first half and on my way towards home I had it on my back but every so often a side wind would catch you as you passed a gap.

Given the rain forecasted, I stuck the mudguards on the bike and am kind of glad that I did (even though my feet still got wet through the shoe covers).

Next to no other cyclists out. Maybe they be all got sense!

102km @ 27.5km/h with 974m

Weather forecast wasn't looking good for Sunday so got out this morning. Was sitting at home waiting for the sky to brighten but it didn't as there was a really heavy fog. Had to get the tights and the full winter gloves out for the first time since March as it was freezing in the fog. Probably shouldn't have given the state of the roads after all the rain, but took the new good bike out.

Not one to sop for photos normally, but once I gained elevation outside Cork city, I managed to climb above the fog, which was sitting in the Lee Valley, just as the sun rose. It was magical and I stopped for ages just to take it all in, forsaking a PR and a top 10 on a decent climb to enjoy it all.

The new bike has slick summer tyres on so had to take it handy on descents and going into corners as roads were damp, but overall a great spin in a lovely part of the world. Even an artic driver who drove right up behind me on a narrow road blaring his horn - I didn't cost him 10 seconds so I have no idea why he chose to do it - before executing a punishment pass with oncoming traffic couldn't dampen the spirits.

Overall, 67km with 600m climbing at 31.5kph on a beautiful morning: https://www.strava.com/athletes/34401190

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Gorgeous 72km spin round mullaghmore and lough Melvin this morning. Light winds dry . New coffee shop in kinlough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Not a cycle as such, but having coffee outside the Hub in Thomastown yesterday. As usual there were a few bikes lined up outside and one lush S-Works SL7 caught my eye. Shortly after out comes Sam Bennett with his dad and some of the Carrick Wheeler lads. Had a good chat and of they went.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Left the house this morning to do my first 100km. To around Donabate/Portrane area and back. Stayed off the bike for a week to be fresh. Cleaned bike yesterday, Carb-loaded last night, major breakfast this morning, packed a **** ton of food for on the bike. Left the house, nice steady pace.

10km in, I hit a pot hole, the valve on the tyre blows, puncture. That's ok, I have a spare and a pump.

30mins later I cannot remove the tyre. It's embedded onto the rim, looks like it has actually gone under the rim tape. How is that even possible????

Anyhow I ended up on the dart and walked the rest of the way home.

2/10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If it helps, I puit my back out picking up a cavity block yesterday in my garden. This after moving 2 tonnes of mulch and some fencing. Now the block was very, very heavy and I did it lazily so it was my own fault. My day off work to cycle did not happen though

My new Scribe Pace rims arrived the other day but I've not yet tried them out. Figured I didn't want their maiden spin done in the rain. I might try them tomorrow if the forecast looks good.

Headed out with the club for an 80km spin but I got a few kms in before and after to get me over the 100.

My shoulder feeling sore after about 20kms and wouldn't stop. Not sure was it down to holding the bars tighter in the damp) or just the cold air blowing on it. We stopped for coffee in The Faraway Tree @ Donadea at around 70kms and from then on it was fine. Go figure!

If I'm correct, that will be my 25th spin over 100kms so far this year. Chuffed with that. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I felt like I was fighting a gorilla today, couldn't going properly, felt knackered from the start. Only had an hour and got nicely soaked too. Glad to get home. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I got out for a 40km spin this morning and felt crap for most of it, wasn’t sure if it was the wind, rain or I might be carrying a bit of a bug but zero energy and glad to get home into the warm shower

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

On this, do you always carb load for a 100km spin? Is there a need to?

Before I go out (in the morning) for a long spin, I'd eat a bowl of porridge flavoured with honey and a banana. I'd also eat a banana or two an route. Occasionally I'd eat a granola bar or some jelly babies while out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Same, cannot beat porridge. I wouldn't be worrying about loading the day before any spin under 130km. Once you are eating a decent lunch and dinner the day before.

Did 55km on friday evening, finished in the dark. Might need to get turbo out

• Advertisement

(stands up on bus)

i don't know if i've ever eaten porridge. i certainly don't remember ever trying.

Advertisement