Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

How do you find the wheels? Did you weigh them. Wondering if 1495g is accurate

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I really like them. They do feel lighter than the Mavic Ksyrium Elites that were on before. Plus I love the song from the freehub.

As for weighing them, eh no.

Got out for my usual two hours first thing Saturday morning. Decided on a tempo effort as time was against me again but picked a bad route and didn't enjoy it as much as I usually love my few hours freedom.

Few roads on the route I selected were new to me and were not fun, with loads of potholes and not much to see. Bit too much climbing too for a tempo effort and was fairly wrecked for the rest of the day when I got home. I normally love finding new roads to spin on but only when I have time on my hands.

Anyway, just sort of 70k with 700 up at 31.6kph.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6250624252

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Christ you are fast.

Similar distance and elevation.

24.9kph

North then south of the Boyne from Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I wonder if I saw you today? I was in that area cycling a 200km route from Dublin along the coast to Annagassan and back. There were certainly plenty of cyclists out today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nice calm day for a 200km spin. humidity was 95%+ though, from the few stats i've seen on strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

106km today at 28.6kph in zone 3

Lovely day for it and every cyclist in the country seemed to be out today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Terrible misty, gank day in sunny Southeast for the spin this morning. Mist never lifted at all, even at 10pm gank.

Went from Gorey out to Ferns, towards Enniscorthy but veered right to Clonroche and straight back same route to Gorey. 82km 570m 29. 4kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Out yesterday with the club. Lovely morning for it. The rain stayed away and it was warm enough. Thankfully the chippings from the hedge cutting have more or less been washed off the road at this point so the risks of punctures has lessened. 120kms at 26.5 kph on fairly flat roads. Enjoyable spin.

Probably not.

Strangely I only saw 3 or 4 cyclists today.

And they were not out for 200k spins

More like 2k

• Advertisement

You can't tell from looking at me if I'm out for 20km or 200km!😃

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Lovely day for it, nicely cool, and the wind wasnt as strong as Friday.

53km at a not so fast 26 kph, Drimnagh up to Tallaght, across to Lucan, then Clonee, Blanchardstown, Stoneybatter, south quays, and home.

God, I'm loving these days off, if only I could get up when I set the alarm.

a tale of woe from yesterday

fixed a puncture yesterday at home that I didn't realise I had picked up on Sunday - probably debris from hedge trimmers, anyway got ready to go out (it was a lovely mild night), lights etc got 3km down the road and another flat tyre. walked it home, took wheel off, checked it under the headlamp and two tubes gone in the one day and 3km done

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You're still faster than me so! 22k at lunch @20kph with 415m of up taking in Cruagh road and back via Foxes. Gusty enough out there so was taking it handy on the descents but pleasant for all that. Nearly blown to a standstill at the back of Marlay park so feeling thoroughly aired and oxygenated right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

I had something similar recently, 3 punctures in a short time (the latter 2 occurring 20 minutes apart). Couldn't find anything in the tyre, then noticed that the holes were on the rim side, not the road side. Crappy rim tape not fully covering the spoke holes seems to have been the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Out for a first retirement spin yesterday (I'm on pre-retirement leave at the moment) around Ballygar, Creggs, Glenamaddy, Moylough While the trees are losing the last of their leaves the colours on the leaves left on the trees are something else to see. I found the wind strong especially between Glen and Moylough, Anyways a very enjoyable 74 km spin @ 25.5 kph with signs that the winter is closing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dublindefy

80km/1110m through Sally Gap which was uneventful until I did a slow fall at lights on Gardiner St on the way home.

Been about 10 years since the last one and they still hurt the pride

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

What happened? Is this where ye can’t get your feet off the pedals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dublindefy

not a scratch, I led with my shoulder somehow. Contact point was probably just the pedal

Usually (for me) caused by indecision.

rolled up to a red light, was going to go past the white line to let the pedestrian walk behind me but then changed my mind…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Welcome to the retirement club. It kickstarted a big increase in my annual mileage but joining a club for the leisure spins really helped the motivation at this time of the year.

Did almost 115kms with 500m on a windy club spin this morning from Lucan to Rathoath, Dunshaughlin, Kilcock & Maynooth. The weather was fairly good for this time of year - glad I had the shades for the first half and the rain didnt appear until after i got home.

Plenty of muppet drivers about. Got this punishment pass on my way to the group meet up...

I've another video (which I won't share because of other riders clearly visible in it) but it involved a thick driver overtaking us as we travelling were in two lines doing over 40km/h from Summerhill to Kilcock. Neither the solid white line nor the oncoming traffic deterred them from the overtake; sure couldn't they move back into the lane right beside me! The facial expressions from the other riders should be enough for the gardai to do something about it.

Absolutely beautiful day in my neck of the woods. Roads bone dry and not a puff of breeze. Hard to believe all I needed was a long sleeve jersey and gilet in late November. Ditched the gloves after about half an hour.

Given the summer-like conditions and the fact that I only had just over two hours, went for a sweet spot effort. Felt good and nice not to be watching out for muck and wet leaves.

70k in total with 650m up @ 32.6kph.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6282087511

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've a few KoMs between Abbeyknockymoy and Ballygar from a spin a few years ago. It's a great stretch when there's little to no traffic to just go for it. That hill into Ballygar though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeah. It comes at the very end of a 300km charity cycle I do, and we tend to TT the last 30 km having spent the previous 270 stopping a lot and eating

• Advertisement

100k around the plains of Meath.

Relatively flat, 650m.

Pretty chilly at 8am and didn't really warm up.

Plenty cyclists about Kilmessan and Dunsaughlin.

Advertisement