Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

50km at 27.4kph

Dying of a head cold since thursday morning so delighted to get out and the cold air helped shift the cold i think

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

770m of up over 55km. First proper cold day on the bike with a real feel of -1 according to Strava! Not the best day to forget gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

65km with 1300m of up yesterday on the club spin, not sure what we did to deserve such punishment but a lovely morning for it. Loads of cyclists out, particularly up around Cruagh Hill.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Short one for me yesterday morning due to time restrictions, 38k and 620m of up taking in Enniskerry, Glencree and back via Cruagh. Lovely climbing weather as the sun was coming up but pretty bitter coming back down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

was off today and did about 130km my garmin died for the second time recently. I cycled from Carlow to Edenderry via Athy, Monasterevin and back in a different loop. Lovely day for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

chilly out there - 6C and 20-25km/h wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Dug out the merino(est) layer I had and wrapped up well. Was about 15 mins before I actually got a temp that didn't feel cold, but had the neck buff pulled all the way up the glasses to keep that wind off the face. Baltic Sea was balmy in comparison :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

6C and 40km/h wind forecast for dublin tomorrow - i may be kind and give the bike a day off..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've hardly been out this month so tomorrow was my day on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

There are plenty of tough ways to get to Bellewstown but, thanks to WA, I discovered a new one today. Turning off the R152 just south-east of Duleek is a narrow winding lane that goes by the grandiose name of Ladymoor Road. Quite a few bits of it are at 12% and it seems to on for ever even though it's less than 3km. I honestly thought we'd end up looking down on Bellewstown but it was still a very gentle few km away. Well worth trying.

• Advertisement

Know it well, its tough going alright, I break it down to 3 mini climbs, but I tend to avoid it for the sharp turn left before the last ramp, the road is not good, full of debris and gravel and you tend to hit it with some speed. Like the climbing aspect of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

First time out to Blessington in cold weather in almost two years due to to lockdowns and stuff. I was well wrapped up but felt the cold despite the layers.

ah yeah, i like ladymoor road. there's a sharp bend at the bottom of a hill that no matter how often i go on that road, it always catches me by surprise.

i suspect i'm talking about the same one as luxman.

46km to a wedding 223m up , so many tractors and trucks on the route I picked. Not a single arsehole among them thankfully, I dished out some amount of thumbs ups to them as they passed. I put the rack in the car herself was driving for the return leg tomorrow. Even got a fresh bottle and a bar as my wife passed me with the kids near Kentstown (she pulled in and stopped it wasn't TdF style unfortunately)which was a nice surprise :D

interesting mode of transport!

Haven't really done a huge amount in the last while so seized the opportunity, glad I resisted the urge to cycle the return leg earlier as those showers were nasty and a fairly strong wind to go along with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

My mother in law bought herself a nice Canyon last month and has fallen in love with cycling, went out on a spin with her this morning. My first proper spin in a few months because of other commitments.

Good hell, she has 29 years on me and I couldn't keep up with her once we hit stocking lane. Not a chance.

Beautiful morning for it though. Cold made the flat white all the better.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/KqLThqEGwlb

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Went up stocking lane myself this morning, first time in a while. Getting lazy now the evenings are shorter and the weather is colder. It was bloody baltic at 10am up there, and my rear brake pads were rubbing, so came back home. Checked the temp on strava, had it feeling like -2!

https://www.strava.com/activities/6312409282#kudos

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Wonder if it was yourself that cruised passed me, I started the climb at roughly 11.

Didn't see many out this morning.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Club spin today from Lucan up to Tara and back via Maynooth. It was damn cold and the headwind as far as Tara made it tough going. By the time we got to the coffee stop in Maynooth my toes were sore from the cold had toe covers on over my shoes. A persistent achilles injury started giving out to me on the short climbs near Dunshaughlin so I had to nurse it the rest of the way home (hopefully it goes back to sleep again).

The tail wind back helped bring my average speed up from 24 to 27km/h.

In the end, it was 103km with 565m. Glad to have gone out even if I was doubting my sanity at times!

• Advertisement

yeah, i walked to the shops earlier and the wind would cut you in two, so of the choice of going out on the bike and chopping down the dying escallonia in my garden, i plumped for the latter.

75K wander in the cold, came home and ordered new gloves.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Went for a run instead.

Shockingly good driving over near the parents while I was out. Kinda Skryne Walterstown direction. Not one close pass or dope swerving at the last second.

My own father didn't know it was me and gave me an acre of space. Fair play.

We'll see what the bike is like tomorrow.......

Wind was blowing a gale in my neck of the woods and it was absolutely freezing first thing this morning. Considered staying in the shed but wrapped up well and managed to get some bit of joy out of my spin.

First 20k were with a tailwind but it was too wild and gusty to put the boot down and so I took it handy. Stupidly chose a hilly route and headed for the coast so the wind only got worse. The last 30k were straight into a brutal headwind and were tough going.

Got home in one piece and was happy to get into a hot shower.

Overall, Garmin recorded 72k with 850m up at 28.2kph: https://www.strava.com/activities/6312407794

Garmin dropped out three times for some reason, so probably closer to 80k.

fairly chilly out there this morning. barely made a dent in the water bottle, took one swig and i may as well have added ice to it, it was that cold. 55km around NCD at 27km/h.

there was a strange effect this morning where i'd be cycling on a bone dry road, swing onto a different one at a junction, and that road would be wet, and it would alternate like that. there seemed not to be a lot of consistency; it didn't seem to be down to aspect or tree cover, i was wondering might it be do to road gritting, as salt is hygroscopic.

speaking of which, i must go out and hose down the bike just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Nice 100km today out to Maynooth, been a long time since I’ve seen triple figures, was worth the extra lap around the block

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Went out with club touring group, out to Ferns, towards Enniscorthy but took the left turn just before scarawalsh roundabout, nice little draggy road all the way to The Harrow. On to Boolavogue, Ballyedmund, out coast road, Kilmuckridge,Ballygarrett, Courtown and back into Gorey. 70 kms 600m up @ 28.2kph. 🥶 enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yeah noticed that everywhere too.

Was wondering was it heavy dew or fog in early morning??

Got in about 55k myself about south Louth.

Bettystown Drogheda Baltray Clogherhead Port Beach and back via Sandpit.

Few cyclists about. No groups at all. Very few cars. Very cold.

I was pretty obvious, Mistral's first day out. Got it on sale over summer. Veeeeery yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

52km at 26.6kph with 320m up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Thanks for the welcome to the retirement club @Mercian Pro My target was to reach 6,500 kms this year. With the added opportunities that retirement gives for spins I hope I can beat that target. Just wondering how far beyond it I'll get. Being a member of a club is, to me anyways, the best way to cycle. Can't beat a club spin for a bit of craic and encouragement. I'd encourage anybody interested in cycling to join a club

Advertisement