Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

That is some going! Fair play to you for pushing on through the pain

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That is some going - fair play to you. 250km in that bitter cold and with leg pains? You're a machine!

My God, you're an animal!

(Would you not think of getting yourself a nice warm little car?😃)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Phil, thats a hell of a spin, well done!

I got out for a few pre spin laps of the runway at 0800 on Sunday and then a group spin at 09.00 around North Co Dublin and Meath.

Roads were lethal early on and I nearly came a cropper a couple of times. There was plenty of very slippery frost on some roads up to 10.00.

Got home about 12.30 after a tough 100+km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Got in an hour this evening.

First spin in 2 weeks. Had the joys of covid in the interim.

There was no flying up hills but felt strong if a little short of breath

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Got a little lucky today; the nut holding the front mudguard on (at the crown of the fork) worked loose. Thankfully the bolt stayed roughly in place so the mudguard didn't drop immediately into the wheel. I assumed the nut would be lost but I found it about 100m back up the road, very lucky it didn't bounce into the ditch.

Between one thing and another, I've not been out as much as I'd have liked recently. Even this weekend was written off as a result of the booster vaccine knocking me over. Anyhow, decided last night that I'd get up early and had a route planned out in my head to head up towards Bective Abbey near(ish) to Navan. Headed out before dawn and as I was leaving my driveway, I had changed my mind and decided to head down towards Blessington - a similar distanced spin involving crossing the first bridge rather than doing the full loop - about 80kms but the Blessington spin would have a few more hills than the Meath one.

Lovely day for it. The weather was quite mild: dry and not that cold. Absolutely loads of traffic on the back roads - even going up Slade hill between the N7 and N81 - I'm not sure if it was regular commuting traffic or did many drivers cross over the hills to avoid the main roads because of the truck drivers' protest (even though the N7 and N81 were fine when I crossed them). It meant that I had a fair bit of stopping to let the drivers past on the narrow uphill laneways.

In the end, I did a fair bit of stopping to check my work emails and answer messages on Teams but I decided that this justified stretching out my 80km spin to 100kms (even though I really should have been at home working but say nothing!). This meant that I managed to complete my 29th 100+km spin of the year which I'm chuffed about. I've 700kms left to complete this year to hit my 10k kms target - should manage it if work would ever stop getting in the way!

103km @ 26.5km/h with 974m - https://www.strava.com/activities/6378255775

Phone call of shame home yesterday morning. Stupidly, took the good bike, which still has slick tyres on, out and paid the price. Headed out in the dark and should have stuck to the main roads but took a chance on a smaller back road. Unfortunately, there are two farms on it and even in summer the farmers there leave them in shocking condition as their cows cross the road to be milked. There is also machinery and debris strewn around the place and loads of people think the road has ended there which it hasn't. Road was destroyed and punctured shortly in - managed to fix it but punctured again a minute later when I discovered a shard of metal in the tyre. Only had one spare tube so walked 3k to local shop and decided to ring home as I was already freezing and there were no other cyclists about. My very pregnant wife and two small kids made an adventure out of it and came to rescue me. Old bike it is until the weather turns. To add insult to injury, we had to pass through said road again, and the car was so destroyed in cow sh*t I had to wash it later.

35k with 400m up @ 29.5kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Would you mind pointing out these farms so I can avoid a similar fate. I think we cycle a lot of the same roads.

Road coming from Kinsale just past the crossroads to Ballinspittle. I think the Strava segment is called 'Drive on through the sh*t'. I won't be cycling it again until the weather turns as it's not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Got out this lunch time for 52km @26kph, was lovely day for it, if a bit cold. There was a relatively strong breeze, constant, but not gusting.

Drimnagh, leixlip, Maynooth, Celbridge and home again.

Was in the office for a while earlier this evening to set up some new equipment (take it out of the box and connect it basically) and rode the long way home which is a loop out of town and back in bringing my lights to see as opposed to just be seen. First time I've rode on unlit roads in an age. 15km with very little traffic but amazing how much clearer the night sky is when you get even a few km from town. Jupiter looked amazing in the SW and it still looked seriously bright pulling into the driveway at the house. Close to home a BE double decker bus was coming against me heading for the depot and instead of the route and route number being displayed or out of service the driver had "The North Pole" on it !!!!

Meanwhile on Jupiter ...

"Graarg fzzk egtjj Earth plkfjzd Magicshine kplrrkt Lycra ttkk!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Went exploring north of Slane today. Encounter with 4 cows lose on a back road. As I moved they galloped off ahead of me so there was no easy way round. Until a farmer appeared on a tractor and ran them as I hid in a driveway. Also loset power to the front di2 derailleur (battery charge low I hope). Some serious climbing to be done up that direction. 95k with 1200m

Oh yeah there are some absolutely leg sapping routes (to me anyway) between Slane and Collon direction. There are parts though when you get up to a height you can see for miles on a good day even though you've only gained 150 meters or so.

The whole area is hills. Love how quiet it is. But yeah leg sapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

88km spin this morning. Enjoyable after missing a few weeks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Out around the back roads near Enniskerry and up to Glencree via Knockree hostel coming back by the Featherbeds this morning. Very foggy until the Featherbeds and then glorious sun above the clouds which remained visible below. Back into the cloud for a cold descent of Stocking lane and nearly wiped out of it on Ballyboden roundabout by an SUV that didn't bother looking before entering the roundabout. The Christmas dodgy driver brigade would appear to be out in force. Lovely for all that for just 50k with 870m of up.

Post edited by smacl on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Extended lunch spin including a couple of laps of Bohernabreena reservoirs to nudge my annual total over 5K km. Had planned on getting a good bit more in this year, but circumstances had me off the bike for much of Sept, Oct and Nov. 36k with 267m of up at a mellow 21kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

One fail and one win today.

Fail was planning a route which consisted of solid head breeze (cold as it was) for 13k on the homeward leg of my spin. South easterlys are rare.

Win was not having my 'proper' cycling gloves to hand (in the wash) and grabbing a pair of the kids woolly gloves which worked perfectly, maybe even better dexterity for fiddling with Garmin buttons. Didn't feel the cold once on the fingers.

Headed out early with a clubmate and made our way out to Howth. By the time we were near the M50 (having travelled from Leixlip) the heavy rain had made its way into my shoes and my thermal socks were soaked. By the time we both up to the summit, I was able to wring loads of water out of my gloves.

The plan was to head up to the summit the easy way and then on down to the village only to turn around and climb back up. The cold wet weather scuppered that plan though.

Thankfully we had one small mercy from the weather which was a tailwind home.

By the time I was nearing home again, I had really wanted to just dry off and warm up. I had about 75kms done and I figured feck it, I'd stay out for the ton so wandered around for a bit but just tipped the 100 by the time I got home with 478m of up.

All showered, fed and coffee-ed now but still feeling bloody freezing!

https://strava.app.link/VsUUOVIgcmb

Went out for 60kms this afternoon around Newcastle, Straffan and Sallins. What a difference a day makes! Not that cold, dry and there were loads of midges out.

Unfortunately, I had about six completely unnecessary close passes, most being by impatient drivers who overtook me on a solid white line with oncoming traffic.

Got in a few hours around north Dublin and coffee in skerries.

Yep lovely mild day. Even the headwind wasn't cold. Sweating TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Did a handy 50km from Tallaght out to blessington, on the way back i was stopped at lights at Jobstown Inn, waiting for green lights, heard a few shouts to my right. A guy had come down the "bastard ramp" section and through the little s bend towards jobstown Inn and went through red light on the outside of the car stopped to my right. 3 cars came out of the road facing jobstown inn and turned right. No idea how the idiot on the bike wasn't creamed. He then carried on ..wrong side of road and then proceeded to go onto correct side of road and almost creamed again by a couple of cars which turned left from jobstown. It was utterly moronic cycling 😡.

Anways 50 km avg 26.3 kpm

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

44ks from Delgany up around the lakes in Roundwood. Nothing mental but very enjoyable. No close passes, and very few other road users out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

Drivers seem to be in a world of their own during this period so be careful out their folks. You might also get drivers who were on the drink the day or night before so their reaction speed and observation skills might be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Had my first Zwift spin this morning, made a few mistakes like not turning off the rad in the room and being up all night with my baby.

Did 20 minutes going pretty full gas and joined in every sprint I could. Good fun, felt like I was goin to pass out afterwards so going to open the window in that room an hour before I start tomorrow!

Have a small fan I need to pull out too.

• Advertisement

A good indoor trainer is very handy with small kids in a house. If I could offer one piece of advice, it's resist that urge to race every time at the start and do some of the structured workouts instead. I got a bit carried away the first few weeks I got mine set up. Better still, do one of their plans if you can find the time.

Advertisement