Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

40km with 900m of climbing today for the first spin of the year. Up to Glenasmole, Cunard Road and across to glencree, devils elbow and back via cruagh direction. Was a small bit damp but blowing strong enough that the featherbeds were a little sketchy when it was a cross wind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

First spin of the new year, Ballycanew to Gorey for meet up, back out to Ballycanew, Ballyedmund; Oulart , then across to Enniscorthy, Ferns, Camolin, Gorey , and back ti Ballycanew. Sttong enough SW wind today.

80km, 618 meters; avg 28kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

New Years Day, had'nt been out for over a week so even though the wind was well up I headed out. Swords to Wimbletown then headed South all the way to the ATC tower, reversed my route for a blowy but highly enjoyable 70km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Not to scare the sh1te out of you, but I wouldn't be doing anything so strenuous after Covid.

I'm currently positive and would be able to cycle tomorrow, but I won't for a few days.

You will find plenty of information online but maybe have a chat with GP first.

Covid has been seen to have effects on lots of organs including the ticker.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1250400

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

This chap is often 10% faster on his own.

Had covid myself last month and eased back into it with a few 5k runs

But everyone is affected differently by it

• Advertisement

Thanks. Was a fairly laid back spin with company so hopefully hopefully nothing to worry about. Muscles were sore from being dehydrated after the stomach bug. I've had a similar stomach bug before and felt the same after first spin back. But have a GP visit lined up anyway so will have a chat as you say. Hopefully the ticker is in good shape!

Appreciate the concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

70km done this morning at 28.2kph with 442m climbing

Was lovely when it was a tail wind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just back from a 15km errand to pick up a parcel from the post office. I was supposed to head into the city centre to lodge a cheque but I forgot it so it was cut short!

I've noticed an increase in people not wanting to get out of the way on bike lanes. I've had a number of people walking towards me with no intention of getting out of the way. Today someone gestured ME to move over as we almost played chicken. Repeatedly painted bike markings don't give it away? Honestly...

Every time I decide to just cruise along in bike lanes rather than the road/bus lane I'm always reminded of why I hate them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Chilly 22k with 400m of climbing over lunch up to Foxes and back via Cruagh. A bit of ice on pine forest road but not enough yet to cause concern quite yet. Time to chuck the ice tyres onto the spare wheels to have them available if things cool down any more. Lovely day out but pleased to be fully layered up for the downhill.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had to drop something off to someone earlier. They lived near park so thought I'd include a loop.

My wife was bringing someone to the mater at the same time and was very delayed and worried about their parking, so I went home for a lock in case I had to get her keys to update her ticket. She rang as I was around the corner, and turns our she was fine for time, but a nail had punctured her tire.

Cue a taxi to get the patient back, and me changing the tired in the meantime while keeping an eye on the bike. Wife back in to drive home and I cycled back.

Eventful 32 km on a sunny and cold morning, all while dealing with work absences and general new year shite over the phone

• Advertisement

Same experience as this last week. Older but very fit couple jay walked across the road and then eye-balled me and just walked out in front of me in the bike lane. I just stopped and didn't get involved but their body language suggested they thought they were in the right. The bike lane is a pain as it is a bollarded one and the road sweepers can't get at it so it's just covered in debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Felt great on the trainer tonight.

Took on Climbers Gambit if any of you are familiar. 1.3km from the end I was ordered to finish my ride by the boss of the house, gutted as I was really enjoying it buy duty called. Think I would have finished just under 90 minutes had I have been able to continue. Held over 200w while climbing for about 30 minutes which shocked me. Delightful.

Looking forward to seeing how this transfers to real roads when I can.

Check out my activity on Strava:

https://strava.app.link/79YqmYHQBmb

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭motley

Wonderful pre-dawn cycle in Galway this morning.

A marvelous never ending headwind, lots of lovely perfectly shaped puddles on the road and meeting distracted drivers with full headlights on.

/sarcasm

40km at 22km/h avg.

Afternoon spin up the Louth coast from Drogheda to Port. Back via Sandpit.

That wind was chilly and very westerly. Very pleasant afternoon though. Missed any showers.

One dope woman in an A4 managed to close pass me twice and nearly wipe out a pedestrian. Stared straight ahead when I caught her in traffic. Never blinked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I missed over a month off the bike after hurting my back in mid November. Did a couple of small turbo sessions to try and keep the legs spinning and finally managed to get back out for a couple 50km spins over the Christmas/new year.

Got out today with the club and did 96km at just under 30kmh. It was cold and some roads were a bit scuttery but there was no rain and the sun even poked through every now and again. Bit of headwind out but that gave a little bit of tailwind home so that wa nice. Felt good enough to put in a few digs in the last couple of km and even sprinted for the lights in the last 200m into the village.

Longwood- Kinnegad- Tyrrellspass- Mullingar- Longwood.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6496168370

Now another few weeks off the bike as I'm in for a minor surgery this week. The joys of middle age, constantly wondering which bit of me is going to break or need replacing next🙄

I would say 99% of the bullshit I've experienced in Drogheda on the Bike has happened coming back in or heading out that way from Sandpit between the CBS school and along Scarlet St towards the other school there. I'd nearly put money on that being where you had bother!!!

Nah I shoot on past the Athletic club and in along the river.

1. Was down the hill near Greenhill motors

2. Headed out the Dublin Rd at the train station

Got out good and early Sunday morning and did the first 45 minutes in darkness. Only issue was cars coming at me with full headlights, but they are few and far between at that hour.

Feeling better post Covid so went for a very hilly route on minor roads with my brother. The usual chatting and lack of focus on straights and descents and hammer down on the hills.

Started out in rain and finished in rain but 90 per cent in between was completely dry so I timed my run very well.

79km in total with 1,100m climbing at 28kph.

Day off today yay (work tomorrow, booo!) so off out on the bike at 9 for a few hours. Loop of airport, then loads of L roads near Hollystown and Tyrrlestown that took me behind Kilbride and then onto Ratoath. Stopped in the Garden centre there to ask about a plant, before heading onto Ashbourme, Garristown, Clonalvy, Oldtown and back home. Detoured to the local bakery and butcher to get up to 100km in very pleasant, but sometimes cold conditions.

Had a flask of coffee with me, and stopped in a daybreak to get a sausage roll, but otherwise was moving for much of the 4 hours. Stopped to take a call from the garden centre as they found the plant.

100 km, just shy of 4 hours which I was happy with as I hadn't done 100 since the Resevoir dog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we spent enough money in that garden centre over several years to the point that they gave us a €100 voucher as a wedding present.

• Advertisement

They have 2 german shepherd pups now. I don't imagine they're their most of the time, but i enjoyed playing with them while they checked for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the pond up the back also has about 8 terrapins/turtles, most of which were smuggled in and dumped without the knowledge/consent of the staff.

107km done today in afternoon and in the dark.

28kph and 541m gain

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

70kms with 775m up. Averaged 13.3km/h coming down Red Lane at the back of the Sugar Loaf, sat behind a tractor and trailer all the way to the bottom. Probably need to replace the pads after it. Otherwise very enjoyable and loads of other cyclests out and about.

Post edited by stevencn88 on

If that ever happens on a decent, I just stop and take a break for 5mins

out around NCD today, decided to head back via kilhedge lane, on the outskirts of lusk, which i'd never been on; and the road is closed. seemingly not just for roadworks, not sure if it's being completely redeveloped. anyway, 60km at i think just over 28km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Club spin , Gorey, Ballycanew,Killenagh, Ballygarrett, Kilmuckridge,Blackwater , up by the church across to main road, Ballycanew and back to Gorey. Roads were filthy, fairly dank damp weather but no wind was good 👍

62km , 500m, avg 29kph.

First 100km of the year for me. Got out very early and did the first hour in darkness which was grand as the roads were dry and there was nobody about.

Headed for Nad in the Boggeragh Mountains. Drivers were great and very respectful with passing and waiting for a safe time to do so.

Covered 102km in total (Garmin battery died 4k from home) and climbed 1,100m at 30.3kph.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6526124910

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Headed off for the Dublin mountains today, decided to have a go at Stocking Lane, started out ok but soon realised something was up approaching the Hell Fire entrance as there was a traffic jam , cars trying to get in. So that scuppered my plans for a PB, had a bit of the tail wind too. Continued on up towards Sally Gap but the amount of traffic there kind of took the solitude of the place away. Headed off Sally Gap into a very cold wind and first time to attempt Ballinascorney from that side. Tough climb. Saw at least 8 cyclists with their knees out!! Mine haven't been seen since October. I must be going soft. 111k, 1300m up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

With work and other commitments, I haven't been able to get out much so far in 2022. Had hoped to get out yesterday with a route planned, etc. but stuff to do at home ruled that out. Decided I'd complete the route this morning.

Headed off from Leixlip after 9 with the intention of climbing Ballinascorney and then on up to Sally Gap. About 7 or 8kms into the spin I was trying to recall if I packed my second bidon as I had intended and looked down and hadn't even packed the first one. If I turned for home to get them I figured then that the spin would take longer so I had hoped to get a bottle of Ballygowan in Ardclough - if the little shop there was open - if not then there wasn't really anywhere else along my route. Thankfully it was open and I got a 1L bottle which I put in my jacked pocket. This meant that I'd have something to wash down the two bananas in the back of my gilet.

Similar to Luxman's experience on Stocking Lane, there was a fair bit of traffic at the top McDonagh's Lane for people going to Slade Valley. The climb had woken the pain in my right knee.

I stopped for a break at the entrance to the firing range on Ballinascorney. At this point my knee was killing me but I convinced myself that there was no point to heading for home. Discovered then that one of my two bananas had been evicted from my pocket presumably by the large water bottle. Still I also had a back of jellies as a backup - I'd open these when I get to Sally Gap.

The trip from Kippure to Sally Gap was good. Tail wind and not cold at all. One dope in a Yaris gave me a borderline close pass along the way. A couple of kms further on he had stopped to take a photo. As I was getting into position (wasn't going to bother interacting with him about the pass) to overtake he hopped back into the car and started to move off. At this point, I had to slow down but he did the first 100m slowly meaning that the nice pace that I had been travelling at was scuppered (it probably would have been a short bit further on anyhow!). But really stupid driving - not malicious, just stupid.

There was a fair bit of traffic at Sally Gap including some kind of Nissan GTR club. As I was nearing the crossroads, the gardai passed me. Nice to see them patroling the area.

Travelling along the stretch around Lisheens towards the N81 I saw a woman stopped on her bike with a fella in a car right behind her. As I passed them, I felt that something didn't seem right with it so I turned back and just asked her if she was ok. Apparently he was with her and she thanked me. He gave me a thumbs up so whilst I was wrong, I'm glad I was.

The return trip from Sally Gap included climbing a few regular bits - Ballysmuttan, Blackrock Hill and Golden Hill as well as back up McDonagh's Lane which had even more cars on it. Heading up McDonagh's lane a car passed me. Twice I caught up with it as it was reversing downhill to somewhere which would let an oncoming car pass. Despite this clear lack of progress, the car behind me was anxious to get past me but I would not let them. Presumably because of the last oncoming car, the people behind me reached the summit about 30 seconds after me. Muppets!

The lane descending from the top of Slade had a load of muck on it left by a tractor. The surface wasn't great and with the likleihood of oncoming cars, i kept my speed to about 40km/h. At one point I saw a phesant in the middle of the lane. Knowing how stupid and unpredictable they can be I immediately started braking but by then my brakes would have been dirty and the greasy surface made it difficult. Thankfully it legged it into a gateway on the left. Straight away it came back out onto the road and started running downhill. I was catching up with it and really didn't want to have to jam on the anchors but was worried about what it would do. I shouted at it and thankfully it understood English (and bad language!) because it then decided to fly off (turn off sound for this video)...

The rest of the trip home was uneventful but the pain in my knee was unreal. My overall speed was low for most of the spin as a direct result of it. I'll replace my SPD pedals and cleats with newer ones this week. I've a bike fitting session with Aidan Hammond in a few weeks also so hopefully then that will sort it all out.

When I finally got home, it seems that my recent order from Galibier had been wrongly delivered to a neighbour ten doors up (who coincidentally has the same unusual surname). They also threw in a free headband - yaay. I'll have to head out again tomorrow to try my new threads out.

103km @ 23.7km/h with 1504m - https://www.strava.com/activities/6533250127

Advertisement