Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Deansgrange > Golden Ball > Rathmichael > Old Conna > N11 to Glen of the Downs and under the underpass > Enniskerry via Kilmacanogue and back to Lamb Doyles for a couple of cans of beer in their smoking shelter.
    About 55kms and avoided the worst of the showers.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35852108

This I'm pretty sure is the marked route. Pretty good route whoever mapped it.

That's almost right. The route takes a longer route between Cloneen and Fethard. It goes north in Cloneen then next left and wiggly wiggly to Fethard.
    I'll post a map later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Decided to get some climbing into the legs tonight. Nine reps of The Mall near the Naul. 58km, 923m of climbing. Happy enough with the pace I was setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Wasn’t planning on going for a cycle today. But my birthday present from the wife of a Karoo 2 arrived early so felt it would be rude not to take it for a spin.
    Dun Laoghaire - Enniskerry and up Old Military Road - back to Enniskerry - Johnny Foxes and home.
    52k at 24.7kmh with 900m of climbing.
    Managed to pull a few PRs out on the climbs but I am a bowl of jelly now on the couch.

https://strava.app.link/3DjRcM5jRfb

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Hard to know what to wear this morning so wore long bibs, summer top and base layer with arm warmers. Left a pleasant Bray and climbed Bohilla Lane. Crossed the N11 and climbed Red Lane. At the top I was going to remove the arm warmers due to heat. Left them on when I saw dark clouds. Took a left on the back road at the top of Red Lane and a right at the end. Should have gone left down to the coast. Crossing at Djouce golf club the rain started, 100m later the hail and sleet while the temperature on the Karoo dropped from 7 to 0 in less than 5 minutes. Sheltered under a tree but eventually continued to the junction. Turned right towards Djouce but the road was white and I had no grip. U turn and back to main road but cleat wouldn't clip in :rolleyes: Had to stop and take a pair of disposable gloves out of the saddle bag to put on my hands they were so cold.

On the Long Hill to Kilmac it warmed up towards the bottom and when I hit the N11 it was bone dry, bright and warm - unlike me!

An interesting day all captured on the Fly12 to the amusement of everyone here later - while sitting out in the back garden.

Note to self: check weather for further afield from where you're starting and finishing!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Headed up to the Sally gap yesterday evening after work. Sunny enough but bitter on the descent. Was glad of long sleeves and base layers and even then was trimming the speed a bit to keep warm. Lots of cyclists coming up the Military road and Stocking lane as I was coming back at around 7-7:30pm. Felt a bit sorry for those who'd decided on short sleeves and legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just back in from a 45km spin around NCD. Clear blue skies out of my window now. It wasn't like that around Ballboughal an hour ago!!! Twice I got caught in hail showers!!

Day off with no kids around and nothing to rush home for.

Did 95k with 995m up @29.7kph. Lovely weather and not too much wind away from the coast. Completed the 7,500m climbing challenge for the month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5217410428

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you mean you didn't need the lucozade?

do you mean you didn't need the lucozade?

I drank the full bidon of water and Lucozade. I didn't bother with the bars or the banana in the jersey, but I always carry them just in case and sometimes do eat them.

• Advertisement

ah yeah, the reason i was asking is a bottle of lucozade sport is about 1.5 bananas, if you're just counting the calories involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Out the door at 10. Within 10 mins I was being hailed on. I had a shakedry jacket and mossa jersey so core was fine but my hands and feet were frozen.

I stuck at it to skerries to meet a friend for a distanced coffee and then home..I'll probably pay for it now though, so taking it easy for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

Off work today so spun to the school with the kids then went off for a loop in the hills.

65km 900m up.

Looked like a lovely day but cool out. Lugnaquilla is wearing a white cap and I could see the showers not too far away.

Remained dry for me though, just got in the door and we had a massive downpour of hail.

Glad I got out early, otherwise I'd be on the wimp list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Was dozing off after getting home from work but managed to force meself out for a quick spin before dinner and headed out around dunboyne, shorts and light jacket and it’s was lovely weather for it, got 26kms in just over an hour and that was with the panniers full of junk to get some practice in before the big trip next month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Got in a pretty flat 30k at lunch time.
    Great way to get away from endless zooming

Up at out early.
    Was only 2 or 3 degrees.

Up Bellewstown over past Pudden Hill
    Up Skryne down and around by Garlow and up Tara.

Then repeat Skryne and Bellewstown on the way home

Glad I ignored the forecast from earlier in the week.
    It's lovey out there, a bit fresh

86k with 860m up

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Inspired by NamelessPhil and the Borders of Dublin route and aware of my own ability, I did the Borders of DLRCC starting in Sandyford, to Kilternan, Glencullen,Tibradden, around Marlay, along Dodder to Clonskeagh, through UCD to Blackrock, along the coast to Old Conna Rd, Ballyman Rd, Kilternan and home. 62km 720m climbing 3hr40!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A fresh day with an early start for 4 glorious hours on the bike. Noticeable increase in traffic that will take a bit of getting used to again.

124k @ a brisk 31.2avf due to a a few efforts, roll on tomorrow for more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

A nice loop from Dublin city to Bray/Greystones/Delgany and back on the N11, including a climb up Blackberry lane in Delgany - 16.1% over 280m, but over 33% in places - great fun (afterwards!).

57km in 2:02hrs at 28av with 507m up.

Great to use the new bike lane southbound around the long sweeping corner before the top of the Bray Head road (R761) - pity it dumps you back onto the road just as you need it, for the narrower final 20m over the blind crest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Popped my Sally Gap cherry today. Went up via the Lough Tay side and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a lot more doable than the near impossible climb I had been building up in my head; I think I actually struggled a bit more going up Long Hill. A lovely day for it and stunning scenery all the way. One of my longest rides to date at 65km with 1200m of climbing in 3h30. Can't wait to get up there again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yesterday was a lovely day. Once again you could've easily been scared into sleeping in by the forecast but, while it was cold, once you kept moving, operating temperature was perfect. Clocked up 158k. Longest spin in a while. Glenmacnass and Sally gap were eerily devoid of cyclists though, way quieter than normal.
    Oh, and if any of the new cohort of coffee vans are listening, €3.20 for an espresso is not OK. :( We decided against.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Longest spin in a while. Glenmacnass and Sally gap were eerily devoid of cyclists though, way quieter than normal.

Funny enough was thinking the same myself.
    Was on Bellewstown twice, one other cyclist.
    Nobody else pone tara.

Plenty about around the sea though, where all the wind was!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Got out early this morning to take advantage of the last of the nice weather. 45k with 200 up @ 29.4
    Went with base layer, jersey, Gilet, arm warmers, snood and gloves. Also went with bib shorts which I realised after about 5 mins was a mistake. Considered turning back but glad I didn't as things got warmer and I actually ditched the arm warmers after awhile.
    Only realised how cold the feet were getting off the bike - need to get some overshoes.
    Overall nice Sunday spin. Might even get the grass cut before the heavy rain hits

shortish 42k, first puncture since january of last year.
    i am now a local legend where the locals have probably never heard my name.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Took a route from this book , a 50km trip up past Hell fire club, Military road, Glencree Road, back up towards Glencullen, then back up Cruagh Road.

Continue to be amazed how quickly you get from Dublin to complete wilderness !

https://www.strava.com/activities/5224751612/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

70km 1000m of climbing regular enough spin great day

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

Did 95km today with 800m of climbing.

Didn't go out until 2pm and it got quite cold, I would have pushed on for 100 but hands and feet were like blocks of ice.

Definitely a day for the winter jersey, done again I'd leave the shorts and go for long legs.

I'm strongly considering joining a club. Had all my pondering done by 70k, after that I started thinking about distance and speed and other nonsense. Never do that when I'm out with someone.

Have only cycled with someone else once since late 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

63km with 999m up. Stayed relatively local due to forecast. Like others above have said I thought there were very few bikes about yesterday too. But I think most seemed to be waiting for today. At midday Enniskerry was like Oxford Street

this.lad wrote: »
    Have only cycled with someone else once since late 2019.
    funny enough, today was the first time i'd cycled with someone in about 18 months. spotted a chap i know in oldtown, who was chatting to a cyclist, so i stopped to say hello and ended up doing about 5km with the lad he'd been talking to (and who has had both jabs, so was happy enough to cycle along with me)

• Advertisement

funny enough, today was the first time i'd cycled with someone in about 18 months.

I was thinking the same yesterday.
    Bother was home last Christmas, last spin with someone else.
    Moved house around same time and then covid.........

Advertisement