Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Had to go into the office today, and being the glorious day that is is decided to take an extended lunch break and that the scenic route home via the Waterford greenway and Copper Coast. I stopped for a coffee at Mount Congreve on the greenway, and was just getting set ready to head off again when the bike toppled over, gently enough, leaving me with a badly bent derailleur hanger. Cue limping home missing most of the gear range for 21km rather than the scenic 40 odd km I'd envisaged 😩

Two rules I try to follow: always salute a fellow cyclist and never pass one in trouble.

Last night I met 12 cyclists on the road and got two salutes. Miserable return. Passed a couple coming against me on tiny roads and could have reached out and high fived them and nothing back from my raised hand and big 'hello'.

Second rule tested to the limit as a I met a Brazilian Deliveroo guy looking forlornly at his e-bike/big heap of metal at the end of my estate just as I was setting out. Went past him, but my conscience got the better of me and I looped back.

His front disc rotor was dangerously loose and causing an awful sound. I fixed it for him and got him up and running again. He had a very little English but was thrilled.

His bike was a mess and I think I explained that he needed to get it serviced and he told me that last week the front brake failed and he crashed into a wall, proudly showing me a load of cuts on his arms. Anyway, I hope my neighbour's takeaway managed to stay warm.

After that, I got in 50km @ 30.1kph with 550m climbing, with the acrid smell of bonfires and the impending threat of rain hanging in the air. Place is like a dustbowl so the rain is badly needed.

I would defy anyone who claims they know of a better way to spend your time on a balmy evening in high summer than to be pootling around on a bike in short sleeves. Never gets old.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Two rules I try to follow: always salute a fellow cyclist and never pass one in trouble.

I do the first on quieter roads and always do the second. Gets a bit thronged by times up my way by Cruagh road, descenders focussed on their line, middle aged climbers like myself juggling telling the legs to shut up, trying not to barf and attempting to hold a nonchalant smile pretending its all a piece of piss.

I would defy anyone who claims they know of a better way to spend your time on a balmy evening in high summer than to be pootling around on a bike in short sleeves. Never gets old.

Absolutely, only had an hour last night but the run up Cruagh and over to Foxes was glorious. Actually had someone hang on my tail for most of Pine Forest road too, quite chuffed as most usually just whizz past. 22k @21kph with 403m of up and touched on 65kph coming down. Loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I'd always be the same, even if descending I'll usually try to give a least a nod of the head, or manage some sort of a wave. Return rate these days I find much lower than it used to be say 20 years ago, and at that stage I'd have been living in Dublin (obviously didn't wave at everybody in the street - that's Bang Bang territory)

Got to love your description of covering 50km with a respectable amount of climbing at over 30km/h as "pootling", but absolutely 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd say 75% of people I pass on the open road give the nod or the raised fingers; I don't really expect cyclists descending fast to do so though.

Marshalling a club race last night so cycled there and back (a 40km TT I was not sorry to be missing) - lovely evening for a spin despite the persistent headwind on the way there. 60km @ 26km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

First time on the Mullingar - Athlone Greenway yesterday and really enjoyed it.

Drove over parked in the free car park right at the start of the Greenway,the car park itself was easy to get to.

I was on the gravel bike so the surface felt super smooth compared to the usual gravel canal paths im on.

Stopped off in Moate on the way back to grab a cold drink as it was very warm on the return leg, lovely town it has to be said.

Certainly recommended but dont expect lovely scenery, its you the pathway and trees either side apart from two sections of about 500m where i could see fields :)

Other than that its a great place to cycle, too flat though even for someone like me whos not a fan of climbing anymore :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

50k up and back to the Formentor lighthouse in Mallorca yesterday, stunning scenery. I see the council have mercifully closed part of the road to cars so only cyclists and the odd bus allowed up.

https://strava.app.link/ZW8KQlJ48qb

blob:https://www.boards.ie/82e1a2c6-ac84-47dd-abc2-2aefb2af4ed6 There was an error displaying this embed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out for a solo spin this morning. Whilst the forecast was for dry and getting progressively warm, it was to be windy with Southerly winds of about 35km/h.

Not really sure where I'd head, I just headed into the wind thinking id have a tail wind home.

Headed down to Sally taking in Ballinascorney, Dowry and Slade hills.

Very few out on bikes at the start but as the morning progressed I passed more and more.

Stopped for a coffee and bun in the new cafe in Ardclough which I can see myself going back to.

Just over 100km with over 1400m* @ 24.8km/h: https://strava.app.link/GGY9ZPjj9qb

* 1245m in Garmin Vs 1459m in Strava!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Gorey to Ferns, right turn heading towards nine stones but took left turn up a long drag, not familiar with that side of Ferns, through a few small villages , checked Strava...Ballycarney, Ballindaggan...and eventually into Enniscorthy, up the long drag ofa road to Oulart, out on to main road back through Ballyedmund, Ballycanew and back to Gorey.

86km 750ish metres and avg 29.60 kmh

Managed to avoid heavy showers, came across wet roads. Luckily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I stupidly and knowingly went out with a tailwind for 35k and back into that 35kph headwind for 35k.

Was a bit of a struggle at times tbh. Amazing with the right attitude does though, was out to enjoy it and take it handy into the wind. Even when pedalling to go downhill at 30kph I was happy out.

Up the coast as far as Annagassan from Bettystown and back across country

Post edited by Wildly Boaring on

• Advertisement

It's only a 60km odd loop for me, which way did you opt for on the way back? Togher/Sandpit or Grangebellew/Ballymakenny Rd? I know which one I favour

Sandpit

Back by ballymakenny road. Usually do sandpit. Fancied a change. No mad traffic about the place anyway. I've a nicer spin through Drogheda if I go sandpit too.

Yeah agreed re: through Drogheda and I'd have the same opinion in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Was up around this neck of the woods yesterday as well. Tackled the the 9 stones route, starting in Bunclody, heading up Mount Leinster, down through Kiltealy/Ballindaggan, across to Ferns, Ballcanew, Gorey, back to Camolin and then up to Carnew and back down to Bunclody

120km,1700m up, 24 kph avg. Far and away the hardest spin I've done on a bike, completely snapped going up and over Sliabh Bhui, which came at around 100km. Stopped in Carnew for pint and a sandwich, sorted me right out and gave me the legs to get back to Bunclody

Good spin that on your own in the wind and rain yesterday . 6 of us out, 4 doing the work towing 2 lads around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm in Bormio for 2 weeks on a family holiday so plan to take the opportunity to get out on the bike 2 or 3 times. Yesterday was Gavia pass & Lago di Cancano!

Started early with a forecast of 3 degrees for the top of Gavia - we have family living here and they told us it had snowed up top the previous night! Thankfully though the sun was shining which meant it was ok at the summit although I was still very glad I had brought full finger gloves, arm warmers and hat for the descent! As a climb it was ok, scenic in parts but also quite narrow and varied road surface, the 1-1.5km of 10% at around 2,300m killed me and I had to stop to catch my breath before ploughing on. The road surface was a pain, in particular on the descent as shadows meant I often couldn't tell whether the surface was broken or not.

Back in Bormio I had a coffee stop with the wife & kids before heading for Cancano! This is an absolute cracker of a climb, incredible scenery pretty much the whole way up, with km & gradient markers as you climb and really good surface too. At one point you realise you're looking at the bank of hairpins that you still have to ascend and it's hard to believe that you'll climb that high in under 5km! Through a couple of tunnels at the top you come to the Torri di Fraele tower that marks the top of the climb and also provides an incredible view of both the hairpins below and the surrounding mountains. Another km or so further on is the lake which again is beautiful, so much so that we're planning to come back up with the kids to cycle around the lake later this week :)

The descent from Cancano is sheer bliss, hairpins, some sweeping bends and long straights to get up decent speed! All in all while it's less well known than many climbs in the area I'd highly recommend it.

One of the most enjoyable days on a bike I think I've ever had! 😊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was a cracker of a morning. nice and calm too. at one point i cycled through a cloud of what i presume were horseflies, which was so dense you could see it from about 50m away. felt like cycling through a shower of hail.

Gorey to Ferns, Enniscorthy and on to Wexford town; left at Ferricarrig Bridge and across bridge to Castlebridge, group split and 6 worked together back to Gorey.

94km, 629 m, avg 31kph. Lovely days spin, had done only 25km during the week due to a viral infection , happy out with todays spin .. ps virus was not the covid19 one 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Pre work morning spin (not my work, my wife's. I won't be working again till the end of August 😀).

Saw two herons and a fox.

The difference between Sora and GRX is very noticeable. The difference between a 9 speed and 11 speed cassette is also noticeable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

smoother? just a general feeling of quality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Smoother, quicker changes. Easier changes too, if that makes sense?

70km this evening, beautiful evening for it; was out exploring some roads i'd not been on before, between kentstown and skryne. there's a mad little kicker of a hill i was on for the first time - washboard surface, but got up to 60 without pedalling going down it.

Réaltóg or Hill of the Rock??

Or just Skryne but assume you were up there before

Hill of the Rock is a hidden little gem.

the one you've marked there at the bottom - the stretch just to the east of the junction at the very bottom of the screenshot was the hill i was referring to; the drop to the NW is too technical to get up to a high speed. i didn't do the road from end to end; i approached from the south and headed towards walterstown first; lovely view off to the NW from that junction as you drop into walterstown.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7464152922

Brave man hitting those speeds on a surface fit for a horse and cart!!

When I was a teenager I didn't know the hill existed. Went off down to Balrath on my bike, hill appeared out of nowhere on my way home. Steep fucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

On Wednesday I bit off slightly more than I could chew with my second Italian cycle. 4 mountain passes, Passo del Bernina, Forcola di Livigno, Eira & Foscagno. What was always going to be a tough spin was made much moreso by my non-recovery from last Friday's effort up Gavia & Cancano, running short on water & food mid-ride and the high temperatures as it was consistently above 30 degrees, even at altitude.

Amazing scenery almost all the way, although there was a lot of traffic on parts of the Bernina pass as well as signal controlled road works which were quite frustrating. Moving onto the Forcola di Livigno after Bernina, I was expecting 4km at 6% per the route description I'd read but it turned out to be mainly around 10%, with the average coming from a short descent early in the climb. Fairly broken after the efforts till then I stopped in Livigno for lunch before climbing the relatively easier Eira & Foscagno passes, although these were a massive struggle again given how I'd suffered earlier and the unrelenting heat! That said there was a lot of pro spotting to distract me, loads of riders from Lotto Soudal, Quickstep, Bahrain Victorious, Trek Segafredo etc. While stopped for food at the top of the Foscagno, Vincenzo Nibali spun by followed a good bit behind by the rest of the Astana team!

Foscagno to Bormio was such a relief, almost constant descent of around 1,100m to see a broken version of me home. Next up on Monday is the Stelvio, if I can recover at all by then!

127km, 2,688m elevation.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7462165657

Post edited by mr spuckler on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭traco

Lads they are some spins. I picked up a secondhand bike a few weeks back did a few bits on it and took me and it for a first shakedown. Portmarnock to Howth village, up passed the Summit pub (I blew up on the way up) and back home.

So I'm crap and bike needs new cables and a tune up. 22km in an hour.

I suppose the good news is that there is loads of room for improvement, the downside is that I doubt I could be any worse????

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

That’s some top speed. 77kph. Most I ever managed was 72 from sally gap and it was a brown bibs moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Just back. 55km cycle around hilly territory Kilkenny, Laois, Carlow border. Most enjoyable.

• Advertisement

110km and 1000m around east Meath and NCD.

Bettystown. Bellewstown. Stamullen. Naul. Garristown. Ardccath Duleek. Balrath. Slane. Yellow Furze. Walterstown. Skryne. Big lunch with parents. Then back to the sea via duleek.

A day for plenty water, actually ran out around slane and ground it out to skryne. Heart rate was bananas for last 15 mins but head was good so stuck with it. Plenty sweat lost.

Advertisement