Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

Had a friend down from Dublin for the weekend so we got out for a long spin early yesterday morning. He's a competitive guy and was pushing it from the go so I knew it was going to be a hard day in the saddle.

Heat wasn't too bad. Maintained my policy of constant eating and drinking on long spins: 3 big bottles, one coffee, five fun sized bags of Haribo jellies, two Snickers, one banana and two jam sandwiches after a good breakfast. Definitely noticed a huge improvement in recovery and my ability to push through long spins without fatiguing since I started fuelling properly.

Anyway, stunning spin on a near perfect route in the Boggeragh mountains north of Cork. We had the place to ourselves and the roads are very good.

All in, 100k with 1,100m climbing at 31.6km per hour and didn't feel like a zombie for the day after.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7477319946

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I can pretty much guarantee that 72kph from Sally Gap will be a lot more terrifying that 77kph on smooth roads 😄 I have topped 80 descending the Manor Kilbride side of Sally Gap and that was sketchy to say the least...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

80km this morning with 700m climbing around with a 23kph average. Bandon-bishopstown-crookstown bandon.

as someone getting back on the bike and going solo, I’m happy enough but must start pushing more and try and get a few hill repeats in during the week.

thinking of joining the local club, where would my average speed slot in? Can’t seem to get it any faster though the last 7km to home are uphill.

I do that route fairly regularly. Do you go up and over Moskeagh from Crookstown towards Bandon?

Mix up your spins and do shorter, harder stuff during the week if you can. Some lovely hills from Inishannon towards Dunderrow on the Cork side and to Ballinspittle on the Bandon side.

As for the cycling club, they would have a few different group rides and you will go much faster with the group. Give them a shout.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

thinking of joining the local club, where would my average speed slot in? Can’t seem to get it any faster though the last 7km to home are uphill.

As @[Deleted User] said, clubs will have a few different groups depending ability (speed, climbing, etc) but any club may want you to start off in a group slightly slower than your current average speed simply so you get used to group riding but that shouldn't take long to get used to at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Many moons ago I raced up at home in local leagues and was fairly handy. It helped I had no car for a summer job so it was 40k each way everyday for 10 weeks, I’ve never been as fit. Also rode with a club for a few years so group riding is no bother.

just trying to find the right routes around cork now, this morning I just went out with no plan other than I wanted to do 80/90km.

Bottom line I need to get my ass in the saddle more! Hard with 3 kids and a 50hour work week though!

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

First time on the bike in ages. Like years really. Harold's cross up Cruagh, across to Viewing Point, down Stocking Lane, across Mount Venus for another loop up Cruagh and over to Viewing Point.

Pushed fairly hard from viewing point to Terenure, did it in 15 mins, decent tailwind though. Wasn't too wrecked once I cooled down but pretty tired now and have been eating like a horse all day!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, you did better than i did years ago when i tried that spin after not being on the bike in a year or two; i'd lain down at the side of the road halfway up to recover, and as a german tourist pulled up in his camper van to ask directions, i hosed down the side of the road and he floored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks!.....I'll have that in my head next time I head up. Hopefully sooner than a few years.

Had my youngest (4) with me this evening on the beater bike down along the river. She likes to listen to music on my phone in my jersey pocket when she's on the bike with me and some teens drinking cans gave us the devil horns as we passed them "They think we're kewl daddy" We had Far Beyond Driven by Pantera on so my faith in teens has been restored somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

respect.

Some fantastic routes around that area. Tough going with three children but it's possible. I haven't seen the inside of a pub in a year and don't have time for much else but it's worth it and it's the release I need from life and work stresses. Give me a shout if you want any routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

A surprisingly cool breeze in Howth yesterday morning, once I got back inland the temperature really picked up. A leisurely 55k.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not getting in much cycling over the last few weeks post covid but managed a leisurely 40k with 832m of climbing on Saturday taking in Cruagh, Glencullen, Knockree, a small bit of the Wicklow way and back via Glencree and Featherbeds. The backroads around Knockree are well worth the diversion when doing the Enniskerry Glencree climb, a bit lumpy but very quiet with great scenery. Need to make the effort to get out much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

A beautiful morning to cycle into work in Dublin, hazy sun and quiet roads, heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Final Bormio cycle for me this morning, decided on a simple up and down of the Stelvio pass rather than pushing harder and wrecking myself again like last week. I also had no idea how I'd feel on the climb but as it turned out I felt ok and got up in much better nick than my last attempt 9 years ago!

I headed up at 7am to avoid both the heavy traffic and the hotter part of the day and the decision definitely paid off. Climbing in shade for much of the climb meant I didn't overheat too early and I was sensible enough to stop twice on the way up rather than push beyond my limits. It was a glorious climb tbh and even more glorious descent 😁 Given that I'm a slow climber but fast descender I always see the descent as my reward! Looking at the stats I'm in the bottom 25-30% of times for the full climb but top 1% for 1 section of the descent and top 4% for another. I'm genuinely proud of that 😆

Just the 42km but 1,526m of elevation. Didn't quite crack the 80kph on the way down but got very close!

https://www.strava.com/activities/7492705733

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Had my first commute since Covid started. To be honest I’ve not been out much since Covid.

hoping to do 2 days in the office from now on, mainly just for the cycle, really need to shift the Covid Kilos

main observations, there is far less traffic. no change in cycling facilities. And there’s a few pot holes in strand road that still haven’t been fixed.

https://strava.app.link/wZvcexVRMrb

blob:https://www.boards.ie/3022ed83-0bc6-4ab5-b78a-af90c5c0a3a3 There was an error displaying this embed.

when i was commuting and crossing the east link northbound, i'd go straight in into ringsend, take a right at the church onto thorncastle street, and drop back onto the bridge just 50m or so from it. i preferred that than using sean moore road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

id usually go that way. But spotted a new cycle park along the Sean Moore road.

But to be honest the road from the waste place to the bridge is a disaster. I’ll be going right at the church in future

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Headed out this afternoon for a short spin but it didn't take me long to decide to head over towards Ballinascorney. I've a very minor op on my neck on Thursday so wanted to get a few hills in before then as not sure how long I might be out of action.

Next to no other cyclists about. It was strange but given the heat, I guess not surprising.

Shortly into the Ballinascorney ascent (from the famine cross), my rear tyre managed to puncture another tube. This is the second time in as many rides. I've been using a tube inside my Vredestein Fortezza tubeless tyre almost since I got the bike in May - I think it was my second spin where I got a bitch of a puncture that simply wouldn't seal. I've patched it and done all sorts but need to face the fact that I must replace the tyre.

As I had a puncture on my last spin, I only had one spare today - sure I'd hardly need two? Well, now I'll have no spare so do I change the tube and head for home or do I head over Ballinascorney and take the slightly longer way home? Feck it, I'll take the brave option!

Anyhow, the heat while I was fighting with the rim to get the tube replaced meant that I ended up finishing my single bidon of water. Not to worry, once I cross the hill, I'll head to Manor Kilbride and get some more in the little shop there. Murphy's law - it was closed. I went on towards Brittas but the cafe there is gone. Kept going and figured that either the cafe or the shop in Ardclough would still be open. I also noticed that my Garmin was down to 10%. My stress levels suddenly increased (I'm the type that won't let my phone run low and often would have a power bank handy).

The problem facing me now though was that Boston Hill would be closed for resurfacing during this week - daytime only. So would it be still closed about 4:15? Feck it - I'll chance it. However, if I'm wrong and have to go back up and around then my Garmin will presumably be out of battery before I get home.

Thankfully, it wasn't closed off and in fact, the three ramps there that slow down a cyclists descent have been removed and the surface is currently is smooth as ice. As I had started the descent taking it fairly handy, I figured there was no point now trying to get a decent time. Maybe tomorrow befor ethe cover it with a load of stone chips and kill any chance of a decent time for a few months.

Got to Ardclough and got some water, Lucozade sport and a Mars bar. The shop owner's husband charged up my Garmin for 10 minutes (up from 4% to 17%) so my stress levels were able to revert back to normal for the last 10km home.

Almost 79km @ 26.3km/h with 950m: https://www.strava.com/activities/7494754375

• Advertisement

managed to knock 35s off my PR on a 9km segment today without really trying, and with no tailwind. caught me by surprise when i saw it on strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Garristown to Rathbeale road? Only 9k segment I know of.

is that called the rathbeale road? anyway, yeah, G-Town Buzz on strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I’m fond of a buzz myself now and again !

also got local champion on herbertstown; kinda surprised me that i'd manage that with four goes at it in 90 days.

Turned 42 the other day. Couldn't afford a Porsche or a wife 20 years younger than me so went out chasing KOMs as an expression of my mid-life crisis. Picked three segments and got two of the three, with a second on the other, just four seconds off over 2.5k. I was well up on the live segment but burnt my matches too soon and died on the ramp at the end. I hadn't chased KOMs in ages, and while I won't get any younger, it was good to feel alive for a few hours on a summer's evening.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7501359260

Was the distance planned or a coincidence? 😁

I hit the same millstone last week.

Ha, hadn't even noticed! Serendipity.

Congrats, it's a funny one. I think I'm conscious of ageing for the first time in my life. I don't feel old but then I meet an old school friend or sit in a room for a vaccine with others my age and realise I am older than I think. I suppose that's a good thing in a way. Cycling definitely keeps me young in my own head.

I told my wife last night I got two of the three KOMs I targeted and she replied, very earnestly, "what's the next step after a KOM? professional?" That took a few years off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Went up the Col de Galibier today. It was closed to cars for the morning as part of the annual free Cols Réserves events. We'd just arrived a couple of days ago and I was going to give it a miss between the heat and altitude, but my better half thankfully persuaded me to give it a go. Took it very handy on the way up, frequent stops to catch breath and take photos, but bar the 12% sections near the top wasn't as bad as I feared (had to walk a short section of these, just couldn't get enough oxygen in)

There was free food and music at the top, and the descent was a blast. I continued toward Briaçon, and nearly came a cropper when a bee wedged itself behind my shades at 60km/h. I somehow didn't fly off the road while trying to stop and getting stung. Poor bee didn't fair too well either

Highly recommend the Col Reserves, there's another 2 for Granon and Galibier again on Aug 17/18 respectively. Details here https://www.envie-de-brianconnais.com/guide/velo-route-rando-vtt-brianconnais

• Advertisement

Mid life crisis in full swing and back on KOM trail. Started raining just as I left last night so kept it local and hit the two segments I got KOMs on Wednesday night, except in reverse. Bought a power meter a few months ago and find it much easier to judge the efforts as a result.

I've also been practicing sprinting properly out of the saddle and in the drops, and think it has made a big difference as I seem to be able to get to a higher speed much quicker and then maintain it. Got both KOMs before the rain got too heavy, averaging 477w for one effort for 1m 45 seconds which I was very happy with.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7511511458

Advertisement