Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Privacy zones are great but an absolute pain to set up. Doesn't recognize my address, thought it might have been because it's a new estate but any random houses nearby whether it's the road, house number or Eircode it doesn't recognize. Managed to set a location and use the biggest radius to cover me. Don't know why it can't just use GPS location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Sunny windy blast onto Bellewstown from Julianstown side and back down.
    Couple PBs on way up into the wind. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Couldn't pass up on a sunny evening, so I struck out for the flattest 100k I could possibly do (700m). Out to punchestown, kilcullen, dunlavin and then straight back the N81. It's a horrible road at the best of times but on a sunny evening, heading back to Dublin it's actually a grand spin. Traffic is all the other way and the surface is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

fat bloke wrote: »
    Couldn't pass up on a sunny evening, so I struck out for the flattest 100k I could possibly do (700m). Out to punchestown, kilcullen, DUNLAVIN and then straight back the N81. It's a horrible road at the best of times but on a sunny evening, heading back to Dublin it's actually a grand spin. Traffic is all the other way and the surface is good.

F.Y.P.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    F.Y.P.

I... dont see what you did there:confused::o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Got out for a fully legal spin with a few club mates this evening. I've had a few ropey spins over the past few weeks while trying to get used to some new meds I'm on. Struggled to maintain any kind of solid efforts, gassed badly on hills which really frustrated me. Today felt good. Wasn't flying or anything but didn't blow up or struggle to hold a wheel so I'll take that.

Longwood, Enfield, Donadea, Coil Dubh, Allenwood, Carbury, Broadford, Longwood
    65km @33.3kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5280678067

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

Got out for a quick spin between work and bringing the lads to football. It was a great evening to be on the bike.

39k at 31km/h average not epic speeds but I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I... dont see what you did there:confused::o

I gave DUNLAVIN that extra bit of prominence, that it deserves.
    I'm an, at least, 7th generation Dunlaviner, although I haven't lived there for over 50 years.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Got out for a fully legal spin with a few club mates this evening. I've had a few ropey spins over the past few weeks while trying to get used to some new meds I'm on. Struggled to maintain any kind of solid efforts, gassed badly on hills which really frustrated me. Today felt good. Wasn't flying or anything but didn't blow up or struggle to hold a wheel so I'll take that.

Longwood, Enfield, Donadea, Coil Dubh, Allenwood, Carbury, Broadford, Longwood
    65km @33.3kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5280678067

Ropey, gassed, frustrated, struggling, hills... 33.3kph!!!??!:eek:

That's fair speed for any spin!!

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I gave DUNLAVIN that extra bit of prominence, that it deserves.
    I'm an, at least, 7th generation Dunlaviner, although I haven't lived there for over 50 years.

Aha. I see. Apologies. I should at least have bothered with a capital D. I did come across another cyclist on the way in to the Lavin :) thought it might have been you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

first club spin since lockdown, short but steep bit of off-roading. Beautiful evening, good company, huge fun - everyone was beaming by the time we got back...

image.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hills? they're not hills!

i actually had a similar evening yesterday. felt spent by the time i was climbing southbound on the naul on the home stretch. lovely evening for it though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5280438804

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

loyatemu wrote: »
    first club spin since lockdown, short but steep bit of off-roading. Beautiful evening, good company, huge fun - everyone was beaming by the time we got back...

image.png

Downs Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

That's fair speed for any spin!!

Ah yeah, we were clipping along nicely. Last week I coud barely hold 30 on the flat and turned around and went home as soon as I hit a headwind after 15km

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Went out for a short spin yesterday evening.

Up around the reservoirs around Bohernabreena and up Cunard road to military road and home via Cruagh Road, 36KM with 546m climbing. 21km/h.

I'm consistently amazed at the average speed some of you guys can knock out.

Going up Cunard Road some lads in a car came up behind me and were videoing/photographing me as they went past. Has anyone had this happen before?

https://www.strava.com/activities/5280302404

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Downs Hill?

yep - I'd never been there before despite living nearby. Beautiful spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

loyatemu wrote: »
    yep - I'd never been there before despite living nearby. Beautiful spot.

Yeah it’s lovely. A few nice trails up there for the gravel bike!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Headed out after work this evening for a planned 50km. Decided to stay on the flat as my knee has been aching the last few days so planned a route from Leixlip > Ardclough > Bodenstown > Straffan > Celbridge > Leixlip. In the end it was 50km on the nose @ 30.1km/h.
    However, the weather turned rotten after 10 minutes and got progressively worse. Apart from a summer jacket, I wasn't dressed for the weather. No shoe covers or anything so I got absolutely drenched and covered in muck.
    That wasn't the worst part though: it appears that my orange jacket actually makes me invisible as I don't recall as many close passes and stupid impatient overtakes. One lad was beeping his horn behind me on the stretch from the barnhall roundabout to the Celbridge Rd (where strava says I did a PR) and as he passed me he was giving out stink (although I couldn't hear him). He drove on towards Celbridge and I turned left down towards the Hazelhatch & Ardclough. At the canal in Ardclough, I stopped for a breather and guess who crosses the bridge a minute after me :rolleyes:
    Anyhow, although a pleasant spin in the rain, I did end up very drenched and feeling quite vulnerable.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5285092247

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I did 30k in the lovely sunshine around drogheda.
    Just the one young lad in a golf driving too close.

Strange weather

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Headed out at 10am yesterday, a bit breezier than I would have liked. Swords to Portmarnock via the Baskin, back to Swords, on to Portrane, across to Ballyboughal, followed by a 12km lap of same, across to Oldtown, down to the airport, back to Swords, after a lap of the town, all came to 100.4km precisely, my first solo ton. Sat out the back for the afternoon, in between checking on the Giro.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

rushfan wrote: »
    Headed out at 10am yesterday, a bit breezier than I would have liked. Swords to Portmarnock via the Baskin, back to Swords, on to Portrane, across to Ballyboughal, followed by a 12km lap of same, across to Oldtown, down to the airport, back to Swords, after a lap of the town, all came to 100.4km precisely, my first solo ton. Sat out the back for the afternoon, in between checking on the Giro.

100k spins in the middle of the week... the dream.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Strange weather
    indeed. i was hoping to head out at around 5 or 6pm, but the rain arrived in D9 at about 5pm, as was forecast, and was forecast to last for a few hours. which it did, so i stayed in. but it never made it much further north than dublin airport. apparently bar one 30s shower, it was a lovely evening only a few km north of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

indeed. i was hoping to head out at around 5 or 6pm, but the rain arrived in D9 at about 5pm, as was forecast, and was forecast to last for a few hours. which it did, so i stayed in. but it never made it much further north than dublin airport. apparently bar one 30s shower, it was a lovely evening only a few km north of that.

Likewise, I was intending cycling into work, via Ballyboughal & Oldtown. It's approx 37km but I just did'nt fancy getting soaked, so in the end I drove. It was'nt too bad really & not for the first time I regretted not cycling.

Was on rain watch last night. Skies cleared at 6.50pm so I was out like a flash and got two hours in. Focused on 3-4 full gas efforts followed by easy recovery, and managed to get two KOMs. Home by 9pm as the rain started again. 50k @ 26kph with 700 climbing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Up to the Sally gap last night and back up to the viewing point today with some off road thrown in. A bit slow and struggling in the hills for both spins. Had changed the disc brake pads on Monday and sure enough they're both binding, even though I'd checked them after installation. Out with the bleed kit later methinks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Planned to do a huge cycle today. Plan was the gaps and military road. My rear wheel seemed to be a bit off though, so had swapped them out for the carbon ones I picked up here a few weeks ago and changed the brakes. As rain and thunder was forecast for about the time I'd have been somewhere up, I I headed for the coast with the intention of picking up bibs from a fellow boardsie.

Went over howth and my climbing legs were at home, so Wicklow wouldn't have been fun. Around the estuary, onto donabate and portrane. Took a KoM before hearse road.

Notice of a delivery to my house came, so had to abandon the bibs and went for home via Ballyboughal and Oldtown. Stopped for espesso in Oldtown. Decent enough, and I'd say nicer than the coffee in Naul and Ballyboughal. They have some free mini chocolates too to boot!

Home right on time for the delivery and 100km on the nose in 3hrs 40mins.

Weather held on, so glad I had the suncream and it was a cycle I ate very little on which is most unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Down the N11 to Glen of the Downs Then left in Delgany over the rolling countryside to Belmont and Bray Head. Bray Main St, Shankill, Ballybrack (to avoid Loughlinstown roundabout) and home. About 40k

N11 roadworks in Kilmacanogue haven't improved for anyone heading that direction at the weekend. Road hasn't been swept either so plenty of debris inside the cones where you will be cycling..

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

quick 50k spin before the rain and almost got squashed twice within a 3 minute window

https://streamable.com/mamf2z

https://streamable.com/p7di8m didn't know this bridge was so narrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Been a hard week to get out! Between work being mental busy and family commitments (8 week old at home) I've been limited to 5am training sessions (FTP builder on Zwift - 4 weeks down now 2 weeks left)

Was able to get out on Tuesday for my first club spin! Really enjoyed it I have to say. Learned a lot about how to ride in a group and everyone was dead sound. I put myself in the beginner group which was nice and handy 35km @ 23.4. Happy enough to hang around the beginner group and pick up the basics before moving to stronger groups.

I was able to convince the missus to let me get out for a short spin today because I finally got upgraded wheel set https://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20190628/21/trek0shimano/f3/ac/j/o0640048014484058894.jpg
    Mavic R-Sys SLR. Loved the upgrade. Much better acceleration, breaking and handling. Legs felt a bit tired after a hard week of indoor training but still managed 40km @30.1 without exerting myself too much. Just got in before the rain too which is always a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Achill hospitality?
    I was trying to do all the loops of Achill. Legs died, I'm just not able for the hills presently. I stopped for a coffee and Mars bars, but lost my card and I had no cash. Oops, I said to the shopkeeper as I pushed the bars back to her. Sorry, I've already pressed the button on the coffee dispenser. Ah, your OK, she said, I'll drink it myself.
    I left the shop. Lo and behold, the card was on the ground near the bike. I had already crystallized my feeling for the shopkeeper, so I mounted the bike and faced home, with an unfinished task and an empty water bottle.

Am I being a bit precious, or might she have offered me a freebie?
    60km, 1000m or thereabouts. Great day, otherwise. I'll be back to the island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    N11 roadworks in Kilmacanogue haven't improved for anyone heading that direction at the weekend. Road hasn't been swept either so plenty of debris inside the cones where you will be cycling..

Believe it or not that has improved. At least they have finally removed what was left of the dead bird and the half a tree that had been on it

Advertisement