Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭secman

Endurace spin here too, headed out for 8:30 meeting up in Walkinstown. Headed for Newcastle, Lyons estate to Ardclough, across to Maynooth and out to Summerhill. Back via Straffan, Clane, Celbridge. Back to Newcastle,Saggart and home.

113 kms 550mtrs and 27.5kph avg.

Felt tired from 90kms onwards after we did a 1km rollover into a headwind for about 10 kms. 3 of us in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DrumcDub1

Any recommendations for good pieces to read up on Z2?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Had a great 2 hours around mid Meath. Tara, Trim, Summerhill, Drumree, Dunsaughlin and back to the start.

Pitch black by the end and roads around a few farms, like warrenstown, were pretty mucky.

Lovely spin, really have to wash the bike after it though, smells of cow shite

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had a plan to head up to Sally via Ballinascorney & Bohernabreena to complete my weekly distance and elevation targets.

Crossing Seskin towards Brittas, the rain was torrential. My overshoes were beaten and my feet soaked and starting to get cold. The rivers of rainwater coming down the hill reduced the available road-space. Then the feckin hailstones came. It was bad enough having them belting me in the face but they built up on the road where there wasnt flowing water.

By the time I was near the top of Ballinascorney, the hail had covered the entire road with the occasional passing car cutting grooves into the mush. However, it felt like it was starting to harden and I figured that while the rest of the uphill would be ok, going downhill would be quite risky. I decided to knock my plan on the head, turn around and just do some smaller hills.

By the time I finished, it was 70km with 1100m at a slow 22km/h but given that my feet were saturated and numb, I think I did ok. More importantly, I met my targets for this week!

While out, I passed four others as stubborn as myself (2 solos and a pair) - not sure if they're from around these parts but fair play to ye!

https://strava.app.link/KTm6pD2puvb

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The Lamb is a small hill now is it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

You'll find some good material on Trainerroad blogs, e.g. https://www.trainerroad.com/blog/endurance-training-for-cyclists-where-zone-2-fits-in-your-training-plan/ - just bear in mind they are trying to flog you their service

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I was due for a jaunt yesterday with a mate but we both chickened out, I ventured out today as the forecast did predict any rain even though the roads were saturated from recent rain. About 20K in around Slane the rain started, last about 20 mins and I was properly wet, I could feel the feet were soaked and getting a bit cold. I ventured on as my core temp was still ok as long as I kept working. About 15k from home my hands became very cold and weak. Got home nicely cold, took about 15 mins to warm back up. Not sure there will be much more cycling this week. My Garmin failed to register the climbing number, it registered just under 300m but when I corrected it with Strava it was over 600m. Poor Garmin felt the cold too!

My Garmin failed to register the climbing number, it registered just under 300m but when I corrected it with Strava it was over 600m. Poor Garmin felt the cold too!

When I was out yesterday, my Garmin slowed down when it was at ablout 230m. By the end of the spin it was telling me that I had climbed 380m and although I knew I had done more, I didn't have a ballpark in my head of how much more. It turned out to be 1100m, which was a nice surprise.

Maybe Santy will bring me a new Garmin that can do what it is meant to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Im blaming the cold, I only got the 530 this year and hope it was a glitch. I'd prefer a Varia instead of having to replace it

Headed out into a cold morning and got almost 1km from home when my rear derailleur cable popped out of the shifter. Its a new cable so may have stretched recently. When I was looking at it, I noticed that my BB is on its way out so made my way back home. I threw the bike onto the car and brought it up to my LBS who will fix both issues today/tomorrow (if they have the same bracket in stock).

Popped onto my ~15kg hybrid and headed off to work. Depending on time later, I might take it up around the Saggart hills on my way home.

• Advertisement

Bugger - just got a call - turns out the BB shell has come apart 😖

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you're clearly putting out too much power.

frame is totalled?

I collected the bike from the LBS and managed to get it in to Carbontec in Palmerstown who will look after it. The BB shell came loose but he reckons a new one can be put in once he cleans the frame, etc.

Had it come to it, I don't think herself would be impressed with me buying another bike this year!

We're down a car this week, so I needed to pick up the wife's at lunchtime from her work to do taxi of dad later on. Short flat 12km spin into town to do so, but oh was it brass monkeys. Temperature about 2-3 degrees to start with but a stiff northerly breeze managed to drop that a few degrees in feel. I honestly think it's the first time I've felt cold in a Mistral

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nice 25k around the Bohernabreena reservoirs at lunch. Cold starting out but great cycling weather once warmed up. Thinking about putting the ice tyres on for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Managed just 2km this morning... too much fog and mist so turned back! I will switch to the mountain bike for the rest of the year. Better [wider] tyres and more grip.

Dan.

Having not been on a bike since Thursday, my withdrawal symptoms were there all weekend and I decided I'd head out today on my hybrid with it's 40C tyres which would be more content in this weather than my 25mm road bike tyres. As it turned out, the roads that I travelled on were absolutely fine to cycle on

Headed from Leixlip over to Hazelhatch and made my way along the Grand Canal to Ponsonby Bridge (on the Straffan/Kill road) and back a few times. Loads of birds about: several swans, a dozen or so herons, two buzzards, little grebes, moorhens & coots.

Although it was bitterly cold, I didn't feel that cold apart from my nose. I wore an old pair of shoe covers over my runners while on the flat pedals and my feet were grand. Base layer, jersey, jacket and gilet meant that I felt nice and warm without getting sweaty. My only clothing let-down was my Lidl winter gloves - I keep meaning to replace the gloves - but my hands weren't too bad today thankfully.

Didn't see one other person on a bike but given the cold it's not really surprising. After about 5km from home, frost had already formed anywhere facing into the cold air, I had to remove my glasses every so often because condensation on the outside was freezing. Frost had quite evidently formed on my groin area and I could feel the leg muscles in that area getting slightly sore from the cold.

Popped into the Cliff at Lyons cafe for a well deserved coffee and danish. My crumbs attracted the attention from a pied wagtail, two robins (which kinda surprised me as robins are very territorial) and a cock blackbird while two greenfinches pecked away in the nearby grass (I havenn't seen a greenfinch in several years).

All in all, it was lovely out. Bitterly cold but with proper clothing I dind't really notice it!

42km @ a leisurely 22.6km/h - https://www.strava.com/activities/8239532820

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also out on the hybrid over lunch today as it is currently wearing the ice tyres. Headed up to Massey's wood but trees down over my two favourite paths limited the options a bit. Roads were mostly fine apart for the road from Cruagh lane to the entry to Massey's wood which was thoroughly iced over. Front fork on the old hybrid is banjaxed so while very little distance was covered a decent bit of exercise was had and a wakeup call as to how crap my off road skills have become. Hopefully get out again tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

got out today for my second 32km spin this week, after a month off the bike. not exactly a marathon, but i was surprised i hadn't lost more form.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I got a Covid booster today, purely by accident as they had then spare, so I may or may not be up for cycling tomorrow

• Advertisement

there must be some tractor rally on in dublin today? i passed dozens on the road, including some in convoy of the same make and model; e.g. half a dozen john deere tractors, same colour and model, not far from the five roads.

it may have been intended to be friendly, but thanks a **** bunch to the lad who gave a blast of the horn as he passed me. my ear was ringing for a couple of minutes afterwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That would be the Barney Green tractor run for St. Francis Hospice apparently. Going 15 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

First spin in almost 4 months. 62km cycle with my local club, average speed 25.1kmph but I struggled after 45km and let myself be dropped. While it's almost a relief to be dropped so that you can go at your own pace, part of my brain knows you're better off staying with the group if you can- shelter, less drag etc.

Despite playing astro football one or twice a week, a Christmas of eating chocolate & drinking, coupled with lack of any cycling time, made it a tough cycle. Still felt a sense of achievement upon finishing & happy I got up and out (after getting into the habit in 22 of not getting up for the Sunday club spins).

It rained heavily towards the end but I didn't mind as I was well dressed for it.

I had planned on signing up for a 200km solo cycle in April (https://eventmaster.ie/event/orp5ik3tLm) but having second thoughts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Club spin again yesterday, 60km (58.5 when I got back to the car but cycled the extra 1.5km to hit a round 60, presume many do this....), average just over 25 kmph. Found it easier than last weekend (see above), still slightly tough in the last 10km. I'm happy with myself that I've gone out 2 Sundays in a row & intend to keep it up; will take time to build my cycling fitness back up especially as it's dark early so opportunities are limited.

I saw the forecast for my area yesterday morning and assumed I wouldn't get out. Had nothing ready or charged from the night before and the rear shifter on my bike is not working.

Weather was actually lovely so headed out with no Garmin, two working gears (stuck three from the bottom of the cassette), 16 per cent on my battery phone.

It was like playing a round of golf with just a driver and a six iron. Picked a relatively flat route, but that's relative in Cork.

Anyway, tough going on the knees but not that bad and made it up all the hills with plenty of momentum. Recorded to Strava on phone and battery lasted two thirds of the way before dying.

Strava actually kept recording until I recharged the phone an hour and 20 minutes after I got home but somehow took my washing of the bike, washing of myself, some hoovering and building of a fort in the living room into account to give me a miserly 18.9kph for 62kph with 380m up. Based on how my knees feel now, I was much, much quicker than that and got a good a workout as I have in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can trim the activity in Strava to get rid of the extra 1h20m at the end.

I guessed there was a way of doing that alright but didn't get the time. I might have a look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Jesus Christ why is commuting in Dublin so bloody shite!? I don't know about the rest of the country but there all bloody savages whether your on the bus the luas or cycling everyone is a prick.

This morning Tallaght was like a bloody ice rink the cycle lanes especially so I just took it handy do you think people around you would do the same ha oh of course not! Took me an extra half hour to get into work in town I don't know how many times I had to jump off the road and just walk on the path for a while because vehicle's where driving in on top of me. It obviously got a lot worse as I got into the city centre with all the buses and trucks joining in.

Also did I miss something? Do we get some kind of prize for breaking red lights or what's the crack? Why are so many cyclists breaking red light after red light on very busy streets? Why are lads flying down very steep hills that lead right into traffic when the roads are so messy?

I love cycling and the freedom and enjoyment I can get heading out for the day but Jesus I hate commuting and I cant see a way it can be made any better unfortunately. Wish I could work from home haha :-)

Had to go to the office today and it "looked" ok outside - no frost and the internet connected weather station round the corner told me it was around 3 degrees

If I'd known at 8:30 what I knew at 9:30, the bike would have stayed at home. Whatever about the air temp, ground temp was certainly sub-zero. Black ice everywhere and more fool me I took the backroad I usually take to avoid muppetry on the Waterford ring road, which looked fine at the start but after 500m and round a couple of bends turned into a skating rink. It was a case of tiptoe along keeping the bike in a straight line and try to join up the patches of loose gravel. 30km/h NW headwind to add to the fun.

The trip back in the afternoon was way more pleasant. The ice had melted and the wind had for once stayed in the same direction and strengthened a bit, so gave me a nice push home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I managed to get out both Tuesday and Thursday, same route.

Just an hour both days, 24 km at about 25 kph. As I went out at midday or so, most of the ice was gone, but there were a few surprises in shadowed streets.

Quite cool out but thankfully the right gear helps. Thank God the wind and rain has died down.

First two of the year, hopefully many, many more to go.

Advertisement