Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Cycled into work today for the first time in 6 months and got a bloody puncture half way, ended up walking 20 mins to Joe Daly in Dundrum who kindly replaced the tube for me. Even more annoyed at myself for not packing a spare tube, levers and pump because of a lack of space in my bag. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I’ve started cycling to work the last week and I’m lucky it’s nearly all fairly decent cycle paths the whole way but I’ve already gotten one puncture from the amount of broken glass and I’m tempted to get out on the roads instead if it happens again

Rare day off with no commitments yesterday so did my first 100km ride of the season (three hours is as much time as I usually have). Cold but clear in Cork when I left but as always the hills/mountains have a mind of their own and was cold and a little wet for much of the ride.

Plan was to go easy as had a bit of a bug at the start of the week but realised the route I had picked wouldn't allow for that. Garmin told me I had done 1,100m climbing after 60k between the ascent of Mushera and then Nad in the Boggeragh Mountains.

Easy, downhill spin home with the wind at my back. Overall, just over 100km with 1250m climbing at 28kph.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Set out for a 2-3 hour cycle earlier. Took my argon 18 so I could listen to my hunts go whoosh whoosh. It's been hibernating since August.

Had some rattling noise though after a few km, and couldn't really put finger on it. Then, the saddle came lose and I recalled changing saddles over on bikes and only half doing that one.

Thankfully a passer by had a hex key which I forgot, tightened it up and just turned for parents, grabbed a set of hex keys, had tea and went home for 30ish km.

Another man rolled down his window to say that my freehub was music to his ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

did a a hilly one today (137Km) incl SG (head wind)and WG (tailwind). loads about esp in Laragh, all the nice bikes were there. even got a bit sun burnt on my hands and face

on my way out near hazelhatch i saw a large dark coloured 4 engine jet flying low and slow coming from the Celbridge dir., presumably coming into Baldonnell airdrome...part of the preparation for Biden ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

That was most likely one of the C17s who have been semi regular over the last week in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Took advantage of having today off, Ballycanew to Gorey, group decided to go back out that way and out onto coast road into Ballygarrett, on to Kilmuckridge, and to Blackwater. Headed back out to main road, group split, 4 headed back to Gorey. Other 4 of us headed across to Enniscorthy, on to Ferns, Camolin, 2 headed onto Gorey and 2 of us turning right back across to Ballycanew.

86 km 629m and 28.4kph avg. Legs died today at about 60-65 kms 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Hard push today, arklow, gorey, ballycarnew, ballyedmund turn to ferns via boolavogue(sp), then turned at camolin to Craanford. A lot of headwinds but moving well. Then decided to have a peak at the gorey 3 day race so went to hollyfort, which has terrible roads and cheeky climbs. Just missed the peleton but enjoyed attacking down to inch and then we sauntered home (I might have attacked scarnagh cross and nearly beat my pr).

83km, 980m climbing at 27km/h. Leg of lamb on the BBQ and a glorious burn in the legs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, that was a windy day today. going down a 4% hill and if i stopped pedalling my speed dropped back to just over 30km/h.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lumpy little 44k with 860m of up taking in Bohernabreena to the Featherbeds, Glencree, Knockree, Devil's Elbow and Glencullen back home. Wet and windy and came home like a drowned rat. Glorious sunshine too, something for everyone in the weather this time of year.

• Advertisement

Nearly 3km to the pub on my 98 Kona Hahanna.

Marshalled the SERC 3 peaks, great crowd of people altogether and the weather was outstanding. No accidents and only 3 people got lost (I have no idea how, did a practice ride with a newbie to the route).

Big thanks to everyone taking part today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭snowgal

dont know if this is the right place at all for this but Ive just started cycling again since 10 of April. Im not at all into races or the like, I just love cycling. Reading all the threads here is overwhelming!! I did 15km yesterday, that's as far I as I went 😕 😂 but still, I like to just get out and cycle. Hopefully Ill build as I go on. The intention is to cycle to work during the summer. I dont even know what type of bike I really have or should have. Its a giant mountain bike, about 12 years old oops.. Anyway I tend to just cycle on quiet roads outside the Trim area. It was lovely ride yesterday, sun was out and the roads werent too busy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nice and windy yesterday too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yup. I did an airport loop before work as I was working from home. I got one stretch of a tailwind and the rest reminded me why I dislike headwind. At least with a hill there's a point to aim for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

On the subject of wind is there a certain direction it always blows at each time of day? My cycle to and from work both seem to be almost entirely against the wind! (And uphill)

Yep, headed up to Glencree via Johnny Foxes and the Devil's Elbow on Wednesday evening. First time in a very long time I had much appreciated tail wind for most of the climbing, really nice and lots of bikes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Short one today around Waterford as I've had a sinus infection for the past 2 weeks which has floored me and left me lacking in energy (I did check the obvious, but was clear for whatever that's worth). I did the same route - which isn't tough by any stretch - last weekend and cardio was going bonkers. going up to pretty much max and not dropping by much. Took Monday off and tried the deferred sweet spot turbo session on Tuesday, but had to drop the intensity to finish it.

Anyway, took it handy since and this morning, and thankfully it seems to be be back to normal. Finished fresh, and HR was where I'd expect it. I'm doing the Orwell Lite at the weekend with a few mates, so added to not having been on the bike over Easter as we were away, it's not been the ideal prep. Anyway, we are where we are so fingers crossed!

30km, 230m @23km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Gorey to Arklow, Woodenbridge, up the New Line and a right turn heading to Ballycoog. Over to Aughrim, Woodenbridge, Arklow and back to Gorey.

75 km, 600 or so meters, 28.97kph avg.

Coming down from Ballycoog, there's a view up towards Dublin Wicklow mountains, the highest peak was wearing a snow cap today 🥶

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm recovering from a severe dose of food poisoning which has kept me indoors for the past week. Figured that I'd try and get a bit of a spin in after work today and as I wrap up my work, look out the window, I see my plans go down the drain with all the rainwater.

Fed up indoors!

Lugnaquilla.

Arklow to ballinclash harbour, then up the brown mountain drag to the start of slieve maan, but turned towards the Wicklow gap pub and back over croghan via the old barracks road and to the top of the new line.

Got stuck in the big ring up brown mountain which knackered me out no end, tough day but enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Great stuff, well done. cycling to work is one of those free exercise things. makes it easier for the other things.

just get out there and enjoy it.

try and make sure the bike is maintained nothing worse than pedalling a bike that's not running smoothly.

Getting very little cycling in these days so took the spin up to the Sally gap after work. Looked lovely out but chilly and breeze enough up top and was glad I opted for the long bibs and jacket. Plenty out on bikes, many in shorts, must be a bit bitter on the descents! 50k with 868m of up at a very leisurely but enjoyable 18kph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Out of curiousity, what's the temperature drop like up around the Sally Gap at the minute? Doing the Orwell Lite at the weekend and trying to figure out clothing. Currently thinking (warm) shorts and jersey with leg/arm warmer and a jacket (hopefully arriving tomorrow and fitting when it does!)

I'm doing the 150km Orwell. Sally is to have patchy rain so I plan on bringing my foldable rain jacket (link) that I can put away when the rain stops. Other than that, I think I'll wear a base layer and jersey. I can take the base layer off if it gets too warm. Bib shorts - open knees now that Winter is over!

If you look at www.met.ie and enter Sally Gap as the location, it will give you a rough idea of what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

@Seth Brundle, without wishing to turn this into another clothing thread, how do you find that jacket? I'm looking to replace an Altura Pocket Rocket, which, while keeping the rain off, is not particularly breathable. I already have a Mistral foul weather jacket, so I wanted something light and packable, but wasn't sure what to go with off the Galibier website. If you want to pm instead of further derail thread, that's fine.

It's a bit of a boil in the bag job but I only wear it if I'm likely to get cold from being wet. It does fold up small and light. Not sure what your Altura is like - I presume it's much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Cheers. Sounds similar all right. Might look at one of their more breathable rain jackets

Met.ie had it as about 8-10 degrees yesterday evening. Usual craic in the hills of being too warm going up and too cold coming down so I saved my packable altura windproof for the return leg. Long leg bibs, base layer and long sleeved jersey felt about right for me, but I feel the cold more than many. Leg and arm warmers and jacket in back pockets make sense. Met has Wicklow hills as 12-13 degrees on Saturday, not much wind but a bit of rain, should be a nice day out. Haven't done the Randonee in a few years but always remember it as a water cooled event ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

was a beautiful day today, bib shorts and a short sleeve jersey.

75k with 700m and averaged 28.5km seemed like the most perfect day for cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Went up to Sally Gap today, dodged the showers except for one, but the spray got me good anyway.

Lost the bottle off the bike when I hit a large pothole on that stupid Blackglen road, in fairness I was probably going a bit quick down it as the ironworks are all exposed, but the full bottle took a dive and went straight under a wheel of a closely following car. 🙄 It was my good WW200 bottle too. 😄

Sally Gap was busy with cyclists and very threatening clouds moving across from the South-West, but temperatures were fine and there was a bit of wind, so the return journey into Enniskerry was interesting with the wet roads. But sure it's a great amenity to have on the door-step.

Advertisement