Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

Beautiful day here in Cork. Out at 6.45am with a four-hour pass so joined up with two lads and headed for the hills.

Felt good from the off, and while I'm by no means a climber due to my weight, I felt much better than I have for a while. Think I must have had a virus or something last month as every spin felt like a battle for a few weeks.

Headed for Mushera via the Butter Road from the city and then on to Millstreet.

My longest spin in a while and one of those rare days with good legs, good weather and good company. Brilliant.

Overall, 117k with 1,750m climbing at 28.5kph: https://www.strava.com/activities/8982656942?source=global-footer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Tough day today (for me), up to the tap pub and through deputy's pass, then around the back of glenealy to bookey bridge then Shay Elliot and sleave maan, turned left at the bottom to go up brown mountain. Ended up in Aughrim for a lovely coffee and then up croghan then home.

92km with 1600m of climbing, a slow 22km/h but felt like I could keep going. Weather was scorching all around, 5 mins after I got in the rain was bouncing 6".

Still another 6weeks to the W200 and I'm finally starting to think I'll get around (that first 30km has me worried as a Clydesdale).

Djouce on the MTB tomorrow 🤦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Big shout out to the cyclist who bailed me out with a tube to save me a fair walk after I damaged two tubes of my own .I was walking into Kilcloon when he stopped .Also to two others that gave me a tube up the road , wasn't my day for tubes .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Gorey to Ferns and on to Scarawalsh roundabout and then towards Bunclody. Turned right for Clohamon and back to Ferns and finished back in Gorey.

65 kms 500 + meters and an avg of 30.5 kph.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Ballyboden - Cruagh - Sally gap - Laragh - Sally gap and home for me yesterday for 80k with 1259m of climbing. Lovely day and seemed to miss the heavy showers though very wet roads. Highlight was struggling up the top of Cruagh road, passing a small cottage, hearing a small voice saying "Good boy, well done" and seeing a young girl of about 4-6 waving frantically at me. Delighted for the bit of encouragement which put a big smile on my face :)

Post edited by smacl on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I did the Orwell Wheelers Randonée on Saturday (as did a few others on here). Still tired from it. Initially I wasn't sure if I'd do the 125km or the 145km route. Although I had booked the 145, I'm just getting over a bad dose of food poisoning. In the end, I made a quick judgement call (plus I was aboiut 10 minutes ahead of my club-mates who were doing the 125 and I didn't want to wait). Shortly after I turned down the Powerscourt road at the start of the extra 20kms, I spotted a €50 note sitting there in the middle of the road, so I was glad I made that call!

145km with just shy of 2500m of climbing - Kiltiernan > Cruagh > Crone > Powerscourt > Ballinastoe > Sally Gap > Laragh > Wicklow Gap > Blessington Lakes via Ballyknockan & Manor Kilbride > Sally Gap > Glencree > Enniskerry > Kiltiernan

The weather was quite mixed - as I was passing Lough Tay, it was very warm and sunny. Half an hour later and it was lashing rain and bitterly cold.

I got soaked between Glenmacnass and Laragh. By the time I got to the Blessington Lakes, my energy was waning and I could feel my left calf starting to cramp up. At one point as I was approaching the Lakes, a driver close passed me. Pissed off, I held out my right middle finger. The driver stopped and got out - he was big, real big and I was half expecting him to throw a punch. Asking what I was giving out for, I just said that he came very close to me. His response was that if he was to give me 1.5m then he'd be driving in the ditch. I was about to tell him (as I would move off again) that if he didn't have room then he shouldn't overtake but when I went to put weight on my left leg, my calf locked up and I ended up hobbling over to the right hand side of the road and I'm sure that your man just thought I was weird.

The earlier rain as I approached Laragh had removed much of the "dry oil" on my chain so as I was going around the Lakes, I could hear the dry chain as I pedalled. Managed to get some oil from the mobile mechainc when I stopped at the water stop in Manor Kilbride. I really struggled from Manor Kilbride and by the time I was ascending the final Km up Sally Gap, the torrential rain (and hail) had returned, I had nothing left in me and had to briefly stop. Other cyclists passing by me gave me some words of encouragement which helped me up the hill. A coke and some sweets from the water stop helped me a little and I got going again but I was cold and wet.

The road from Glencree to Enniskerry was flooded from the rain so I figured I'd follow the line that the lad 5-10m in front was taking. This meant that I'd have a bit of a heads up if there was a pot hole (which thankfully there wasn't). As I went up the hill from Enniskerry (the scalp?), my left thigh locked up with cramp. I gave it a few seconds and managed to push on again.

The event itself was well organised. A few marshals at most turns so although I had the route on my Garmin, it was still good having them there.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8978674197

Went out yesterday and did a bit of a recovery ride (50km) but even today I can still feel my legs a bit tired.

From djouce to Crone and back via a few adventures down dead end trails that looked interesting. Some sketchy descents and loads of friendly walkers out.

Legs were tired so had to work way harder than usual and lost my GPS in the car park. Which is a pain.

Day off today so headed for the hills of Waterford. Started in Fermoy Co. Cork and did a hilly 100k route with a number of well known climbs. Lovely day, perfect for the bike with light winds and temperature around 15 degrees.

The 'highlights' were Barnafaddock and Shanrahan which are two tough climbs. Shanrahan gains just short of 400m and has an average of over 7 per cent for 5.6km. The gradient is consistent nearly all the way to the top which is very unusual.

I took in the Vee from the Lismore side which is much gentler but has superb views from the top. From the descent, I would imagine it is nicer from the Clogheen side.

Got a puncture on the main road back into Fermoy just 1km shy of where I parked the car so missed out on the century.

Overall, 99km with 1,553m climbing at 28.1kph: https://www.strava.com/activities/8995610475?source=global-footer

Highly recommended route and area to cycle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Used live down there. Main thing i miss is the cycling. The Vee and all the roads around Kilworth were on my doorstep.....

Savage day today, didn't know half the route.

Arklow to ferns then across to buncloudy. There then up a decent drag to shilaleagh (sp) and onwards to tinahely.

Absolute hammer down to wooden bridge, then some cheeky climbs around avoca before heading home.

112km, 1100m climbing with an ave of 27.5kmh. I'm goosed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got myself up stocking lane for the first time in a year with a few extra kg on too. Loved and hated it. Time crunch so just the 40 km with just shy of 509m climbing. loads out. Need to start getting out before 8

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

First red arms of the year, and i was only out for 2.5hrs and back by 11.30! Today and yesterday have been fantastic cyling weather

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

First time out in shorts this year (I had leg-warmers on last weekend but quickly took them off). Should have gone with short sleeves as well but then my arms would be burnt like my knees and calves.

Went up Wicklow Gap for the first time, it's a bit of a slog but worth it on a lovely day like today - loads of cyclists about; lots of motorcyclists too, many of them seemingly with a death wish; and at least 2 c***s in cars who decided that they'd like to try to knock a cyclist into the ditch for the hell of it.

Other than that, a very pleasant spin; ~80km with 1200m of climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

I did the Dublin to Clifden cycle for the Capuchin centre this weekend. it was on Friday and Saturday.

an amazing trip, with some great people and a great cause, my first time to do it, but I'll do it again.

Day 1 Dublin to Ballinasloe Day 2 Ballinasloe to Clifden. the weather for the 2nd leg was perfect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭chuckles1

Did that as well, it was brillant. Don't recognise you though from the profile pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

Met ye passing Ballinasloe and I was wondering what event was happening - well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Took part in the Tuam Sportif yesterday. Did the 50km instead of the 100km as I haven't been out much this year.

First half (well 27km) was at a very relaxed pace, everyone chatting away to people, taking it easy enough. The 2nd half (24.5km) was a different kettle of fish. Once we passed Caherlistrane the pace quicken significantly & people were dropping off. I moved up, positioned myself in the main small bunch & stayed there. Didn't realise that there was only 3 of us until I glanced back.

I had only 1 stint leading, which was almost pushing myself past my limit. I dropped back from the front 2 after a while but not out of sight. Several times thought and wanted to ease up but kept pushing. Proud that I managed 35.4 kmph for 23.4km ( speed slowed down as I entered Tuam town for the last km)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I was 1 of the 3 Challenge CC club (had a red Canyon bike) doing the 50km.

Check out Pa Dinneen on Strava

https://www.strava.com/athletes/33526725 me in Strava.

About 30+ from our club did the 100km.

Which club are you with?

Third group. Ended up with three punctures....

• Advertisement

I was in 1. That was hard luck. Great event though

-delete-

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Not long back from a school spin, organised by the CoCo for Bike Week. We brought about 30 kids out, through the town, onto the new bike paths and back to the school.

Did the CoCo organise the bikes as I assume not all kids had one. With this weather making it feel even better being out, I'd say the kids are hoping to have another day out soon

The short answer is no, students had to bring their own bike.

PM me if you'd like the long answer 😉

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where would the council have sourced the bikes?

Dunno. If they are organising cycling events, I'd have hoped that they would have a few bikes handy for those that don't have them for whatever reason. Maybe I'm too naive.

There are two guys, as far as I can tell, that are our CoCo cycling officers (or whatever the proper title is). They would seem to be responsible for organising stuff like this.

Having met one today, the very kindest thing I can say is that he's not a cyclist

• Advertisement

Was at the physio during the week with a tender hamstring. Gave me a few exercises but overdid them and ended up with sore calves and quads.

Couldn't get going at all this morning after a third night in a row with kids who didn't want to sleep. Legs were giving out 20k out the road and could tell it was going to be a hard day. Lashed rain on top if myself and the lad I was with for the first hour and a half and got quite cold in the mountains to the point that my ungloved hand struggled to shift the front derailuer.

Really struggled on a brutal stretch of the Butter Road from Millstreet to the top of Mushera Mountain. My legs were killing me and felt like dismounting and firing the bike over the ditch. But the only way home was to keep ploughing on and I get to the top after a struggle.

Downhill home but felt like crap. Few days of rest and a few decent nights' sleep badly required to get back on track.

Overall, 103km with 1,300m climbing at 29kph. A battle from pillar to post.

Advertisement