Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Got out for a sneaky 35km this afternoon, I abandoned the 80KM route I'd been planning due to the weather this morning. Hopefully that will happen tomorrow instead...

35km @ 23.7 km/h with 411m of elevation.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5301418775

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Needed to get one final long spin in before the trip to Kerry in two weeks so headed out at 7am and pretty much spent the next 6 hours in the rain and headed from blanchardstown to Kildare town and back averaging just over 20kmh. I am home now and feeling pretty stiff but glad I got through it. Had the panniers fully loaded with tent and sleeping bags and all the other bits and bobs so I think we did well all things considered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

70k this morning. Up Baltray, Clogherhead, Annagassan and back Ballymakenny.
    Foolishly home into the wind.
    Plenty rain about, no toe covers. About my only clothing mistake, socks were pretty soggy.

But it was enjoyable... To an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Slid in a very easy 30km recovery spin under the guise of going to town to collect Sudocreme for the baby. Flat @ 27km/h.

Been a hard week to get out! Between work being mental busy and family commitments (8 week old at home) I've been limited to 5am training sessions (FTP builder on Zwift - 4 weeks down now 2 weeks left)

Was able to get out on Tuesday for my first club spin! Really enjoyed it I have to say. Learned a lot about how to ride in a group and everyone was dead sound. I put myself in the beginner group which was nice and handy 35km @ 23.4. Happy enough to hang around the beginner group and pick up the basics before moving to stronger groups.

I was able to convince the missus to let me get out for a short spin today because I finally got upgraded wheel set https://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20190628/21/trek0shimano/f3/ac/j/o0640048014484058894.jpg
    Mavic R-Sys SLR. Loved the upgrade. Much better acceleration, breaking and handling. Legs felt a bit tired after a hard week of indoor training but still managed 40km @30.1 without exerting myself too much. Just got in before the rain too which is always a bonus

It's not easy with small children. I wish I had discovered cycling when I had more free time.

• Advertisement

It's not easy with small children. I wish I had discovered cycling when I had more free time.

Doesn't get any easier when they get a bit older and learn to ride their own bikes, I have to try and be quite heading out on a Sunday morning. I've been caught a few times and ended up bring the 7 year old with me on a much revised shortened route.

Saying that I might actually bring her in the morning as I'm not really in the mood for longer spin and she's actually great company on the bike. Doesn't shut up for a minute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

First time down in the inlaws this year, so up to Mount leinster for some climbing. So mount leinster x1, corrabut gap twice and then to finish off 6 intervals up kilbranish, for about 55km and just under 1600m of climbing. Managed to avoid all the rain, roads were quiet, nicest day out on the bike in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First proper club spin for me since busting my thumb in October. 14 out this morning, almost perfect weather. Not too hot, not a bad breeze. Great to be back in the peloton, plenty of shelter and everyone pulling well. Plenty of chat and everyone happy to be getting back to some kind of normal. Got drowned by a heavy shower in the last 5km but didnt care at that stage.
    Longwood, Kinnegad, Kilbeggan, Castletown-Geoghegan, Mullingar, Longwood
    107km@33.5kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5306103465

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Daroxtar wrote: »
    First proper club spin for me since busting my thumb in October. 14 out this morning, almost perfect weather. Not too hot, not a bad breeze. Great to be back in the peloton, plenty of shelter and everyone pulling well. Plenty of chat and everyone happy to be getting back to some kind of normal. Got drowned by a heavy shower in the last 5km but didnt care at that stage.
    Longwood, Kinnegad, Kilbeggan, Castletown-Geoghegan, Mullingar, Longwood
    107km@33.5kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5306103465

Jesus that’s a class speed over that distance

Having built up sufficient browny points earlier in the week I was able to get out for another club spin this morning. Navan - Tara - Ashborne - Duleek and back home. 2nd group needed numbers so I made the step up. 111km @ 29.1 and 600m of climbing. Only got wet once and after 20 mins pretty much dry again. Was a day for the Gillet and arm warmers. Had a few brief moments where I considered taking them off but glad I didn’t. Really enjoy cycling in a group- you don’t be long finding the KM ticking along

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out on Saturday evening for a 40km local spin and got absolutely drenched. Was able to put on my Galibier Ventultra jacket but with no mudguards my shoes quickly filled with water.
    Dried everything out overnight and with the weather forecast looking quite good for the morning, I headed off towards the Blessington lakes with the intention of getting a 100km spin in. Heading up Boston hill, I realised that my climbing legs were still at home and was wondering if I should stick to flatter terrain but I persevered. Found the climb up McDonagh's Lane tough going but at least once you're at the top, you get to cruise downhill from there (although loose sheep on the road killed my plans for a PB there).
    Had a lovely spin around the lakes, as you do, with loads of people out on bikes. Heading back towards home, passing by Glending woods, I had four close passes one straight after another. Then the weather decided to ignore the forecast and the heavens opened up. Again, my feet were saturated but no point doing anything other than continue to head for home :(
    Arrived home wet but glad for having persevered earlier. 105km @ 27.5km/h with 759m (my third 100km spin in the last fortnight :))
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5306563216

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

I cycled in a group, 11 of us today. Its the second time this week, it was glorious. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

First group spin since Oct. 9 of us were out. We just did a sociable 60kms at ave. 29.5kph.
    Great to be able to get out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

First spin up to Sally gap this year, back via kilbride camp where I bonked badly. Not many about, considering it was a sunny sunday, and it felt a lot warmer than the 13 degrees it said it was when I left. Brought a jacket with me but had no need for it, although i passed quite a few people who were really overdressed.

57km in 2.5hrs, 950m vertical.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5308107618

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

A chilled 3 hours in the saddle up to Wicklow along the coast and back via the old N11.

Despite a fair old bit of zwift I'm not used to that long in the saddle.

Was great to natter and take turns at the front.

Loads of groups out and all with a cheery hello too!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

Early start, 200km, (only) 1000m vertical, 4 maybe 5 counties, shipped an unreal quantity of water on the way back but dried out nicely.

Wrecked, absolutely flipping fantastic day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lovely weather today in the nw. club spin spin back on 70km done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Met a mate today to get a loan of a headunit and ended up knocking out 4hrs with him, a really enjoyable spin across some roads I’ve never been on.

130km @ 30.7 avg with a tasty bun & coffee to get a lad home.

It does however seem like some clubs had no spins organised today. I’m not sure how this will work out going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

I'm a newbie cyclist with a running background. Did 40K today Dublin city centre> up to Dublin mountain viewpoint>glencullen>stepaside>City Centre.

Last week Stocking lane climb kicked my a$$. Delighted this week, I did it without stopping. I'm definetly a "fred" as I wait for more gear to arrive in the post. But I didn't care. At one point, I had the road to myself, slight downhill, perfect weather and cracking view. Cant wait to get out again.

Drivers were also incredibly courteous for the most part until I came back into town and car doors would open or people block lanes when encrouching to turn right from side streets. Some punter parked up and left their car in the bus lane opposite Peggy Kellys (middle of the road basically, check it out on maps)

One thing I love from cycling is the friendly hellos and waves you get from others. I'm hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Club spin. Coffee. Cake. Heaven

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Met a mate today to get a loan of a headunit and ended up knocking out 4hrs with him, a really enjoyable spin across some roads I’ve never been on.

130km @ 30.7 avg with a tasty bun & coffee to get a lad home.

It does however seem like some clubs had no spins organised today. I’m not sure how this will work out going forward.

Tuesday evening or was it Monday evening, seems to be the new Sunday morning. Which ever evening it was this week I saw loads of club lads out but in 2's and 3's oddly enough.

EDIT: Thinking about the time and day I saw these guys they would normally be racing their club league at this point in the year so probably getting spins in instead in small groups.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

out for about 50k this morning. in places, the road was black with cyclists, i must have passed about 50 just between hollystown and ratoath.

pointed out to one chap as i passed him that his QR on his front wheel looked undone. by his reaction, i don't know if he understood what i meant. i suspect he'd just tightened it up without realising how the lever works.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Just a short 30km at 26 kph to try blow off the cobwebs of a weekend of too much alcohol and too many late nights. I really need to get out more this month to try beat last Mays total. I have bettered each month significantly this year so far.

Was beautiful in Drimnagh, but before I even got to Ballyfermot the roads were soaked from a previous downpour, luckily I didn't see any rain as I had shorts and a short sleeved jersey on. was soaked and filthy from all the spray, had to wash the bike when I got home too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5307083103

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Got a tough 80km in today.

Gelncullen to Tibradeen, the full length of the military road to Laragh, then back via Glencree.

It was good but there was some unpleasantness. First got absolutely destroyed by rain I was completely unprepared for which made a bit of a slog for quite a while though was ok once I dried off and warmed up (Hot chocolate helped!).

There was a f**ckin procession of boy racers tearing past me o the road in into Laragh, around 30 of them one after the other, all at crazy speed and most way too close. Overtaking around blind bends in the middle of the narrow road etc. Wasn't a good experience at all.

Good day apart from that though I was wiped out for the day afterwards.

80km @ 21.5 km/h with 1,157m of climbing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

definitely seems to have been a case of being in the right place for the weather. my mother (who lives in D15) was telling me they had heavy rain this morning, but D9 had none.

85k with 1,100 climbing at 28kph for me yesterday. Was out early so escaped the rain and got the best of the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Struggled to sleep last night, awake early this morning. Too nice not to go out and take advantage of the slack winds. 84km @ 27km/h for me this morning, down the N25 to Dungarvan and back via the greenway at a fairly leisurely pace.

Still getting the feel for the new bike and trying to push my range on a little further. Really want to break the 100km this month.

Yeah, its where I bought the bike, they are usually pretty good to be fair.

Club spin. 57k with 330 up @29.6km/h

got absolutely soaked to my bones. Still had fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I had set myself a challenge of doing a 100 miles this year and yesterday I did 168k @ 28.4kph average on my own.

tough enough going mentally at times but I was well happy I did it.

Advertisement