Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have had a plan for the last few weeks to head out today on a short spin in a kind of homage to Arthur Guinness where I'd take in his statue in Celbridge, his grave in Oughterard (as mentioned by @devonp above) and Huttonread House where they reckon he was born (Arthur's ma's homeplace) as today is his birthday (remember Arthur's Day?).

Given the strong southerly wind, I also figured I might set a few PRs on my way home (stopping off for a sup obviously).

However, I've developed some kind of stomach bug so maybe I'll park the idea until next year ☹

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

Today I got two KOMs (one of which I previously had, and took back.)

Apart from that, I saw a heron, and in general it was a beautiful day to be cycling, particularly because it's a day I'd normally be working

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Thought today might have been one of my last cycles on the good bike for the year. So planned a route from Roundwood over Wicklow gap around blessington and back over Sally Gap.

On the decent from the gap My bike was making a lot of rattling noise. So stopped at valley mount to have a look. Front wheel was loose. Went to tighten the thru axle and the head sheared right off. Feeling pretty lucky it didn’t give up the ghost on the descent.

Had to call the parents to come drive over and rescue me. Plenty of cyclists offering help but obviously nothing to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Saw that on Strava, very lucky when you consider the descents 🫣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any idea wha caused it? i'd be sending a photo to the manufacturer!

• Advertisement

I’m guessing I over torqued it. Although I use a torque wrench. Unless my torque wrench is reading wrong.

That's a possibility. Torque wrenches, technically speaking, need to be calibrated periodically.

At the very minimum, they should be stored with torque reading wound back to zero.

I only recently learned that.

Another issue can be the range of the torque wrench, and the torque setting you're using

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

still, it's a hell of a step to effectively shearing the head off the shaft - no matter whether the torque wrench was calibrated correctly or not, if it wasn't, you still need to put the excess torque through it yourself and probably would have copped if you'd been waaaay overtorquing it.

• Advertisement

Is it possible that the thru axle wasn't torqued enough, and that it was moving, causing a wear ring around the head?

Looking back I think I probably over tightened. As I remember setting my torque wrench and thinking this was much tighter than I usually tighten it. Usually I wouldn’t go more by feel and have the torque as a backup but never quite reach it.

On the road at 7.30 this morning. Saw a bouquet of pheasants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Did you flush them or was it some other noise? If not was it not a bevy of pheasants?

I flushed them, definitely. Otherwise you're correct, it would have been a bevy. Or possibly a nye.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

If you flushed a couple of turds, would ot be a bouquet, bevvy , bevy or other more appropriate term?

(Plane delayed, bored and other unspecified apologies)

Headed out after lunch today to try and make the most of the Indian Summer before it apparently finishes tomorrow. For the middle of October, it's gas to be heading out in a pair of shorts and a (boards) jersey - no base layer or jacket!

Followed a route from Leixlip to Tallaght and up to Sally Gap via Bohernabreena and Featherbeds. It was my first time heading up via Bohernabreena and I'll happily admit, that seems a much more attractive road than the adjacent route via Stocking Lane. There was a strong SW wind which made it feel even tougher heading to Sally especially when on the plateau - in hindsight taking the aero bike probably wasn't the best choice. I passed another cyclist who was pulled over at the Lough Bray parking spot - soon after he and I were sharing each others wheel as far as Sally. My legs were tired at this stage so it did really help (if you're on here then thanks and I really liked your yellow Audi bike).

The spin down from Sally to Kippure Estate felt dodgy with the sidewind doing its best to push me over. I took it fairly handy but even so, I was half expecting somehting to happen. Headed over Ballysmuttan to Blessington and then back towards Leixlip.

As I was approaching Leixlip, a car passed me just outside the old HP plant and was probably the closest pass I've ever encountered. The driver didn't alter their line or their speed at all and it honestly scared the crap out of me. Pulled over and stuck the reg into my phone before heading on (I initially was thinking I'd report it but soon resigned myself to the fact that it wouldn't be worth the hassle). Anyhow, 2km up the road, there they are queueing to turn right towards the village so it clearly wasn't worth the risk. Kinda left a bit of a sour taste on what had been a good day out.

Anyhow, a few photos...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

Bohernabreena up to Featherbeds was part of my favourite loop until one day in August when I came across this! Had to pull over and call the fire brigade. Looked like they had just set it on fire ... shook me for a bit. It's a lovely climb on a quite road.

https://streamable.com/9p17n1

https://streamable.com/705xq9

https://streamable.com/504xz6

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

didn't an ambulance go on fire going up there on the Reservoir Dog a couple of years ago?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Seen this before and burnt out cars on the stretch all the way up to the Sally gap used to be reasonably common. Wouldn't let it put you off what is a wonderful cycling route.

• Advertisement

Went out yesterday afternoon for a spin around from Leixlip up towards Ashbourne. After a while the rain came but it was still a peasant enough evening despite. I had brought a banana for along the way and decided to pull over just off the Rathoath Rd (on Harlockstown Lane) as I was starting my journey south (and into the wind). A man walked past just as I was finishing my munch and we each exchanged the usual pleasantries regarding the weather. He then surprised me and offered to take the banana skin and dispose of it for me. I thanked him but declined his offer but was left thinking that as generous as it was, it was somewhat strange all the same.

i know someone who was fined for throwing away an apple butt many years ago. so i always have a furtive check before lashing by banana skin into a hedge.

I'd be the same and it was a km or more up the road before I chucked mine away into a hedge along a remote stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

What are ye talkin about, Passats are daycent, laaad....

Thanks to the 3 fellas who didn't mind me jumping onto their wheels for a mile or two coming out of Athy this morning.

I'm not a member of a club, and I don't often ride in groups, so I'm always surprised at the extra speed you get from it.

Had to collect two new GP5000 tyres for bike #2 in CSS so headed over on it. The forecast was for temperatures to be cold and for it to feel even colder but with base layer, jersey and jacket, I was roasting so removed the jersey in CSS and stuck it in my backpack.

Decided that as I was already skiving off work, I'd take the long way home by repeating my recent venture up Bohernabreena to Sally and then back to Leixlip. As it turned out, the weather was glorious on the ascent to the Featherbeds.

As I had time, I pulled into Glencree for some lunch and caffeine and as the few short descents I had done felt quite cool, I put the jersey back on. Shortly after leaving Glencree the cold mist came so it was probably a wise decision.

By the time i got home I had 85km in mixed weather with just shy of 1000m of up.

I took a photo at the bridge when I last went up Bohernabreena on the good bike so figured I'd get a matching one with the Orbea..

Need to clean the bike shortly and then fit the new tyres 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Mudguards arrived first thing this morning, so stuck them on and went out for a 60k rattle test. Beautiful Autumn morning. Not too many zombies on the roads. Got home just as the rain started. Perfect :).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not today but saturday, managed to go out for a mere 25ish km in an airport loop in what is the first non commute cycle since my Son was born in June. Nothing special, just nice to get out.

Hoping he soon falls into a semi predictable pattern and I;ll be out doing 6 or 7 am cycles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Got the 9 year old lad out yesterday for a spin on the Waterford Greenway in a brief respite from torrential rain. Started at Mount Congreve and cycled out to Kilmacthomas for a well deserved hot chocolate and toffee apple with marshmallows (though he admitted afterwards this was a combination better in anticipation than reality). Marred only by getting back to the car and the stupid key fob absolutely refusing to work, could get into the car with the emergency key but couldn't start/turn off the immobiliser/alarm so for the first time ever had to call the broom wagon (luckily only 10 minutes away)

31km round trip, which is his longest spin yet :-)

Advertisement