Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options
1676869707173»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Gorey over to Mount Leinster and back via Bunclody Ferns and Gorey. My back gave me terrible lackery on the climb, lads and gals were waiting for me at carpark, stretched back out and was fine for the descent and spin back to Gorey. Just over 100km, almost 1200 meters and avg of 27.80kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First time up hills since the trip to the Vuelta in September , or first time up the native hills since the Reservoir Dog. I've had ongoing knee issues for months and every time I feel good enough to get out, it's been p1ssing rain. I've gotten a bit of consistency doing club spins over the last month or so but there's only so much flat repetitive spinning about that I can put up with.

Lovely day up there today. A little bit fresh this morning at first until the sun burned the fog off so the arm warmers and gilet stayed on during the first few descents but there was no need for them by the time 10am rolled around. By the time I had my coffee and came back up Sally gap from Laragh it was absolutely lovely.

Blessington, Gap road, Sally gap, Lugalla, Green Road, Laragh, Sally gap, Manor Kilbride, Blessington.

Legs held up but I don't think I set any records😄

85km, 1440 climbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

From Naas, Ballymore Eustace, Glen Bride, Gap, Rathdrum, Arklow, Wicklow, Moneytown (difficult and unexpected hill!) An Toghar, Other Gap and home.

Got two very good face to face encounters, with a deer and then a pine marten (cat crainn), who was chilling in the middle of the road near Greenan.

Weather treated me kindly, as did Sugar Mountain café. 175k, 2440m

Good luck to all the W100 and W200 heroes, assistants and supporters out on Sunday!

Post edited by Roadtoad on

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bluejohn1

Well done the Wicklow 10...95km. Seems to have been a bit of a mix up with the marshalling near roundwood lake l1076/R763. They signaled to take the left, but the computer said go straight. the signage also pointed left. The next marshall I saw mentioned it to him. So hopefully it was sorted.

Anyway bit of a blessing as I was poo'd again by the end. 95km 1800m climbing in 4:13. happy enough seeing as I done the 100 in 2022 in 4:15 and it was only about 1300m climbing then.

I just checked the w200 route and seems I was signalled to take that. 😅 dunno how many 200 routers would be around there at 9 am

Post edited by Bluejohn1 on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Myself and a few clubmates did our own alternative to the W200 today. Starting early in Lucan we travelled down to Saggart, Kilbride and around the lakes. We grabbed a quick coffee in Hollywood before continuing onwards.

Our original plan was to head via Donard and the Ballinabarney Gap to Tinahely but we ended up on closed roads due to the rally so had to head all the way back to the N81 and follow the main roads to Baltinglass and Tinahely. A lad from Naomh Barrog CC joined the seven of us along here and took his share of the lead 👍

I'll admit that I was disappointed not to go through the Ballinabarney Gap today because last year passing here I heard three cuckoos calling together and I still can't shut up about it!

The plan was to get a toasted sambo & chips in the hotel in Tinahely but we were far too early for the kitchen so we all popped into Centra for a deli roll.

Slieve Mann & Shay Elliott seemed easier this year as there were no flies (last year was poxy with them).

From Laragh on we left the official W200 crowds and travelled N via Glenmacnass up to Sally Gap and on then to Manor Kilbride and towards home. The weather deteriorated more and more as we got closer to home.

The other six, like myself were cold, wet and tired and wanting to head home - I had other plans and had to make a quick stop on the way home

207Km with 2600m

https://strava.app.link/pH8o0z9uiKb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Haven't posted here in a long time as haven't had many notable spins to post about!

Did Athlone to D5 yesterday, knew from the forecast I'd have a tailwind for the most part but also that rain was likely from around 1pm. In reality it started to fall lightly almost as soon as I left Athlone (11:30) and had light drizzle most of the way which got heavier as I got closer to Dublin. I had it in my head to push myself (mentally more than physically) so declined the easy option after 135km and carried on past my house for a lap of Howth where the rain helpfully bucketed down on my way up to the summit.

Felt good other than a bit of emptiness (cycled through lunch and survived only on bars and a croissant from a petrol station) but pretty happy with my day out :)

151km & 786m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Solstice time is a good time to fit in a long spin. Few of us headed out yesterday to hit some hills.

Bray, Kippure TV mast, Sorrell Hill, Turlough Hill, Shay Elliott, Slievemaan, Mt. Leinster TV mast, Bray.

267.5km

4,763m

10h moving

12h30 total

26.7avg

Good day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

This mornings spin was a nice easy roll just to keep the legs loose before Mondello on Sat/Sun, it was entirely unremarkable until I came up behind a lady taking her two kids to national school in Kildangan in a very fetching Babboe cargo bike. That's the first time I've seen one in the wilds of rural Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

I saw three buzzards today (although I might have seen one of them twice).

The first came out of a tree about 6 feet from my head. The second was hovering, and looked to be in hunt mode. The thirds came out of a tree close to where the first came out, but on my way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Went east coast to West coast. Near drogheda to bundoran

210km across country. Struck to a lot of little bsckroads. A great Saturday!!

Post edited by Wildly Boaring on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yep no problem, there's probably a way to share a gpx, but....

Bettystown

Drogheda

Collon

Dromcondrath

Carrickmacross

Cootehill

Newbliss

Clones

Lisnaskea

Carrybridge

Blacklion

Garrison

Bundoran (tullan)

That we 206km and 1800m climbing. We did another 5 or 6k to ballyshannon b&b and Guinness

Also saw 3 buzzards

Thanks for that. I'll try and stitch a trail together, but if it's on Strava or similar, I'd love if you could share it directly. I can pm you my number. This is purely out of laziness 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Weekend away with the club in Killarney. We got a nice spin in on Friday evening, Gap of Dunloe‐Molls Gap, in beautiful weather with an obligatory pint in Kate Kearneys cottage which seemed great at the time but not so much half way up the climb.

ROK route on Saturday. The weather was fine from Killarney to Killorglin but then the cloud dropped and we rode in mist and drizzle the whole way from there through the first coffee in Cahercieveen and on past Waterville and the 2nd coffee stop in Sneem. I hear the scenery is fantastic out there but all I saw were the wheels in front of me and the busses of depressed looking tourists as they passed us.

The lunch in Sneem was delicious and it stopped raining so that got us in good form. A tailwind picked up and pushed us at a nice auld clip from there to Kenmare, we did a good steady effort up Molls Gap, descended safely and had the legs to tear back into Killarney just in time for the cloud to clear completely and show us what we missed all day.

Still,it wasn't cold despite the rain, the legs held up and the craic was good. I'd definitely do it again, preferably in better weather.

171km with 1500m climbing, 5.46 moving time @29.6kmh average

https://strava.app.link/HuPLYT1pFKb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

Bit of an offtopic but how’s that Orro bike? Never heard of this brand but was looking at it on B2R.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yesterday myself and some clubmates took a spin from Lucan down to Blessington & Ballymore Eustace before heading north up to Mondello for the start if the 24hr bike race where four clubmates were entered.

Shortly after the 24hours started we all headed on towards home but made a quick "coffee" stop in McEvoys at Hazelhatch.

Today myself and another lad headed back to Mondello for the last hour. Once the race was over we took a sneaky lap of the circuit before heading back towards home.

I really really love it! It's nice and stiff, feels quick despite the useless yoke sitting on it and is unusual enough to stand out from the crowd (I've had random people come up to me and ask about it when I'm stoppped at traffic lights).

Despite feeling stiff, it is still comfortable and I've no problem doing long spins. The only issue I've had was with the Ultegra Di2 syncroshift and the chain dropping scratching the frame. Since turning that feature off, it hasn't happened (but I believe this is a Di2 issue rather than an Orro issue). Personally, I'd consider another Orro when getting n+1 (despite the poxy Union Jack they put on the frame 🤣)

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/orro-venturi-stc-review

https://road.cc/content/review/orro-venturi-stc-sram-force-etap-2021-279615

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

We took a spin out to Bray today, finishing up on the promenade "cycleway" which actally serves as a pedestrian walkway, as we braked, slowly weaving in and around people, dogs and prams, total waste of space as a cycle path though!

Advertisement