Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

Well that was in my top ten awful wet cycle commutes! Terenure to City Centre- Only 6 k but it was character building!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It's about 55k to work across country.

Got up early yesterday and had a great day.

The spin home was in glorious sunshine with a tail wind.
    I stick to pretty quiet roads.
    No idiots in cars about.

One thing I noticed, few cyclists about at 6:30 and 7:30, but none waving hello, was I too cheerful??
    Way home was all waves and smiles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Was out early this morning - on the road at 7:15 and dragged a friend with me. He's the type who never goes out on his own but always enjoys it when he does go out so I'm trying to get him into it more. Lovely morning - plenty warm enough for shorts and a long sleeve jersey with base layer. Tips of fingers were a bit cold but warmed up after the first few km.

Did a handy 55km with 260 up @26.7. Mostly just chatting away but raced a few short hills for a bit of craic :D Home in time to make breakfast for the family and settle in to watch the giro

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Kind of sick of looking at the rain all week. I figured the best option for decent weather was going to be this morning, I was up early (by my standards) and hit the road by 9am.

I gave the Dublin/Wicklow mountains a break this week and went north towards Sutton/Malahide/Donabate/Ballydoughal/oldtown and home via Blanchardstown/Clonsilla/Phoenix Park.

100km @ 25 km/h. Happy with this, first 100km ride in around 5 years and happy with the average pace.

I had to stop and borrow a multitool from a friendly cyclist in Malahide (Thanks!) to sort out an issue with my cleats. Overall decent day out and happy to get it done before lunchtime for a change!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5338501961

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First 100k this year for me too with 1.5k of up at a very relaxed pace, taking in a l-roads, plenty of gravel and some spectacular puddles. Helped someone with a puncture on the way and then punctured myself later. Puncture was my own fault, too low pressure on the front tyre pinched hitting a pothole. To be fair, the Gravel King slicks are a doddle to work with roadside leading to a very fast fix. Forest tracks around the Vale of Clara are gorgeous but messed up on navigating off road to Rathdrum and ended up doubling back, being able see the road I wanted to take on the wrong side of the Avonmore river. Six hours all in and gasping for a beer as payback!

553790.jpg

553792.jpg

I reckon I may be asking a bit too much of the slicks here, but they handled it all surprisingly well.

553793.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nice, great photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Decided to take it easy this morning before the big spin to Kerry on Thursday, the brother for some reason thought the canal from clonsilla to the city centre would be a nice spin, how wrong he was! Its literally a pig sty the whole way to ashtown and a pretty scary 20 foot drop into the water along most of it with massive tree roots erupting everywhere through the mud puddles. We were both on hybrids with fairly skinny tires and fully loaded on the panniers with the tenting equipment so plenty of brown trouser moments but we made it and chilled out at the board gais theatre before taking the easy way home through the Phoenix park, nice leasurely 40kms and back home to a few cold ones and signed off on the route we’ll be taking on Thursday. Nervous but excited and any tips or warnings are most welcome please!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Up early is your only man! 7.30 start for a well trodden ex club route from South Dublin to Newcastle, Sallins, Clane, Prosperous, Hill of Allen, Curragh, Kilcullen, back by Rathsallagh, Dunlavin, Hollywood and straight home the N81. Great route, wind wasn't too bad, roads pretty good. Bloody cold though until nearly midday. Legs were dog tired after a fast hilly 99km on Wednesday evening. The bulk of the credit for the 136k at 31kph goes to the two lads with me, towing me around :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Decided to take it easy this morning before the big spin to Kerry on Thursday, the brother for some reason thought the canal from clonsilla to the city centre would be a nice spin, how wrong he was! Its literally a pig sty the whole way to ashtown and a pretty scary 20 foot drop into the water along most of it with massive tree roots erupting everywhere through the mud puddles. We were both on hybrids with fairly skinny tires and fully loaded on the panniers with the tenting equipment so plenty of brown trouser moments but we made it and chilled out at the board gais theatre before taking the easy way home through the Phoenix park, nice leasurely 40kms and back home to a few cold ones and signed off on the route we’ll be taking on Thursday. Nervous but excited and any tips or warnings are most welcome please!

Sounds like you may have gone through Deep Sinking. Very picturesque but not for the faint hearted on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

After a 4 plus week lay off, back issues:( went on a club spin, brilliant to be back as a group:), Gorey to Arklow and up the old N11 to Jack Whites and to the Beehive and back the same way, just under 80km, 29.5kph and 510m.
    Few niggles again this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Lazy route choice meant 4 hours of head & crosswinds on main roads, cursed myself a few times on the road. It was still great to be out on a fine day given that tomorrow will be a very wet one.

135km @ 31.7 avg.

smacl wrote: »
    Sounds like you may have gone through Deep Sinking. Very picturesque but not for the faint hearted on a bike.

Ha yes that’s exactly the name I was told! Crazy to think the canal goes so far below ground level but we did get to see a fox chilling out in the undergrowth who wasn’t fazed by us at all so definitely worth the trip

Very broken night's sleep last night but had committed to meeting a friend so got up and at it.

Did 100km with 1,100 climbing at 30kph. I mostly cycle on my own but I have realised from looking at Strava and the few rides I've done with others that while I am very strong on climbs, I'm awful on flats and descents. Not sure why that is as I'm big and should be able to put out plenty of power.

Best day we've had in Cork in May so was delighted to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

7.30 is the time to get out. For me, though, it was pm.

Got caught up in a work thing that ended up dragging out from 5 oclock yesterday to 6 o clock today, on and off, and to be continued tomorrow, left me looking out at the sun and thinking, with the forecast, I wouldn't get out at all this weekend.

As soon as I started moving the kids towards bed I decided to tear out for a quick spin.

35km at 30km/h, albeit flat at 250m gain. Getting consistent times over 30 at around that distance.

Like someone else here said I find I eat hills out of it going up but I'm very nearly slower going down. Maybe it's the poor surfaces etc or general fear or lack of skill descending.

On the flat, if I keep checking myself, I can put out reasonable speeds but I often drift off into a world of my own. And maybe that's why I really cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

this.lad wrote: »
    7.30 is the time to get out. For me, though, it was pm.

Got caught up in a work thing that ended up dragging out from 5 oclock yesterday to 6 o clock today, on and off, and to be continued tomorrow, left me looking out at the sun and thinking, with the forecast, I wouldn't get out at all this weekend.

As soon as I started moving the kids towards bed I decided to tear out for a quick spin.

35km at 30km/h, albeit flat at 250m gain. Getting consistent times over 30 at around that distance.

Like someone else here said I find I eat hills out of it going up but I'm very nearly slower going down. Maybe it's the poor surfaces etc or general fear or lack of skill descending.

On the flat, if I keep checking myself, I can put out reasonable speeds but I often drift off into a world of my own. And maybe that's why I really cycle!

I think "a world of your own" speed, whatever it is on the day, sounds right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

55km legs felt pretty dead (vaccine after effects?) but a bit of light rain the dried up at 11am.

broke a fecking spoke though

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

Went out yesterday with the intention of doing an hour and ended up staying out for 4! First time going over 1000m climbing in a very very long time. Lots of short steep hills.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5338734976

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Saw very few out today and I don't blame them, that cold rain froze the bones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'm only in the door from doing the Canals & Greenway 300 (320km door-to-door). I left my house at 06:00 Sunday and staggered back in the door at 02:13 Monday.

Sh!te weather apart from two hours either side of Tullamore and most of yesterday evening. That's my first time doing the full Grand Canal and my first time on the Athlone -Mullingar Greenway in its present form.

Out the door at 6am and I had the first stretch of Canal from Inchicore to Hazelhatch to myself. All the scobies were still tucked up in their beds. I could have used herons as mile markers because they were plentiful as far as Offaly.

I was on 25mm tyres (but I only weigh circa 63kg) so the mixed surface presented several challenges. No grip on mud which was plentiful from Clondalkin onwards. The tyres were ok on grass, give it another two weeks and it'll be impassable. There was also cinder style stones, pray to the guardian angel of punctures, the best example of which was Offaly style Strade Bianchi. If I ended up on the wrong side of the canal I had to contend with the chippings for kilometres.

Getting to Shannon harbour took half my allocated time.Then I was persued by thunder showers over the Shannon and up to Athlone. Athlone isn't any more attractive than the last time I saw it. The Greenway has a great surface and I should have made better time but I kept dozing off on the bike, lack of sleep before the start got to me. Again I had the place to myself mostly.

The Royal Canal's surface was great from Mullingar to Maynooth. After that it reverted to mud, grass and tree roots. Not what you want to navigate safely in the dark. I finished with time to spare and it was my first 300 since 2019. It's good to be back.
    https://strava.app.link/YlVjGzjyvgb

That’s some going! Any sleep or breaks at all??

• Advertisement

That’s some going! Any sleep or breaks at all??

No, straight through. I was riding it under Audax rules that give you 20 hours to ride 300km (minimum average of 15km/h). It's usually plenty of time.

No, straight through. I was riding it under Audax rules that give you 20 hours to ride 300km (minimum average of 15km/h). It's usually plenty of time.

That’s superb going and after giving me some hope for Thursday as I’m planning on cycling to Kerry but I’ll be stopping at the 200km stage and pitching a tent for some sleep!

That’s superb going and after giving me some hope for Thursday as I’m planning on cycling to Kerry but I’ll be stopping at the 200km stage and pitching a tent for some sleep!

Well if you get a taste for long-distance and don't mind doing events that are self-supported with no goodie bag, come and join us. www.audaxireland.org

Decided to take it easy this morning before the big spin to Kerry on Thursday,

Good luck with it. It’s been interesting following your training on here. Keep us updated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Would it not be easier to push on, especially without the panniers?

PS: Best of luck with it, I am yet to ride a 300k, perhaps this season, fingers crossed.

positron wrote: »
    Would it not be easier to push on, especially without the panniers?

PS: Best of luck with it, I am yet to ride a 300k, perhaps this season, fingers crossed.

I’d be tempted to go without the panniers but with still no access to hotels this week I’d be afraid I’d run out of energy halfway and have no place to sleep! At least with the tent on the back I can try push on and get to Adare which would be 200kms and leave a nice handy 100kms for the next day

Last week I didn't manage to get out all week really until the weekend, except for some trips to the shops and to the LBS (twice). Anyway, I much prefer to something done early in the week and mission accomplished this evening.

31km @ 23.8 km/h with 370m climbing, went up Edmondstown road to Tibradden and onto Glencullen, home via Ballyedmonduff road.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5351728770

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Took a week off work, a few days down in Wexford with the wife and the bike.
    73km at 25 kph on Saturday, beautiful morning for it, just as well as it bucketed down since. I hadn't realised Wexford was so undulating.
    Really enjoyed it ~ out in shorts plenty warm.

https://www.relive.cc/view/v4OGo78dgmO

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had my first club spin of 2021 on Saturday.
    76km @ 28.1km/h with 427m.
    Three punctures amongst the group with one lad getting two. With his second one, I assisted him taking the stubborn tyre off the rim and managed to graze three knuckles off the spokes. They wouldn't stop bleeding and my right lever, hood, leg and shoe was sticky with the blood.
    Mental note: pack a few wipes and plasters in my keg just in case!
    https://strava.app.link/v2d9mTIPwgb

Headed out this evening for a while - managed 65km at 30.8km/h (although Garmin says 31.2km/h). There was a decent Westerly breeze which helped me hit another dozen PBs :)
    https://strava.app.link/OaKNKqcQwgb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

Took out for a short spin this evening between showers. Ended up with 50k and 650m gain, 26.3km/h

Windy and threatening showers so I wore long sleeves, was over dressed on the climbs but glad of it on the descents, rain stayed away.

I confirmed today that I am outrageously poor at descending. Steep sections with bends had me heading towards the hedge twice. As the man said; when I got home, the underpants came straight off.

Advertisement