Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

this.lad wrote: »
    I confirmed today that I am outrageously poor at descending.
    Just close your eyes and use the force!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Took a week off work, a few days down in Wexford with the wife and the bike.
    73km at 25 kph on Saturday, beautiful morning for it, just as well as it bucketed down since. I hadn't realised Wexford was so undulating.
    Really enjoyed it ~ out in shorts plenty warm.

https://www.relive.cc/view/v4OGo78dgmO
    Yeah the coast road from Ballygarrett to Wexford town is definitely rolling and indulating and the road to Enniscorthy to Ferns, The Harrow are too. No major climbs but plenty of pulls , drags etc to keep it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

It was such a nice day even I, the laziest cyclist I know, ventured out on the bike - first time in many many weeks.

Exploring north of Drogheda towards Slane - my god, so many hills!! King William's Glen to Tullyallen is nothing compared to what lies beyond - Melifont Abbey to Hurcle Hill to across N2 to many roads (Old Church?) and many hills in that area and eventually back to Drogheda via Slane. No need to head to Naul for hills from now on.

45k or so with 516m elevation (felt like a lot more than that). But more importantly I got to enjoy the stunning views all around, what a beautiful part of the world!

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I’d be tempted to go without the panniers but with still no access to hotels this week I’d be afraid I’d run out of energy halfway and have no place to sleep! At least with the tent on the back I can try push on and get to Adare which would be 200kms and leave a nice handy 100kms for the next day

That makes sense, you can stop early etc if weather turns - gives you more flexibility. Are campsites open now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

positron wrote: »
    Exploring north of Drogheda towards Slane - my god, so many hills!! King William's Glen to Tullyallen is nothing compared to what lies beyond - Melifont Abbey to Hurcle Hill to across N2 to many roads (Old Church?) and many hills in that area and eventually back to Drogheda via Slane. No need to head to Naul for hills from now on.

Yeah from Tullallen just go straight west.
    Melifont over to Grangegeeth and keep going straight you'll hit the second highest point in Meath over in Rathbran.
    If you want more hills head north to Sydan and over to Newtown nice climb and descent if you head on to Collon. Fairly downhill home then.

My mam is from that neck of the woods and I never ever realized the amount of hills up there until I headed on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

It was such a nice day even I, the laziest cyclist I know, ventured out on the bike - first time in many many weeks.

Anywhere around Collon or the hills south of Ardee are pretty nasty. I usually encounter them halfway through a 200km Audax.
    Rathkenny mountain or Smarmore are tough enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Rathkenny mountain

Which road is that?

Had the misfortune of trying to get half wild cattle in off the side of one of these hills a month ago.
    Paid for it.

Which road is that?

Had the misfortune of trying to get half wild cattle in off the side of one of these hills a month ago.
    Paid for it.

https://strava.app.link/QeBts4vWwgb

Anywhere around Collon or the hills south of Ardee are pretty nasty. I usually encounter them halfway through a 200km Audax.
    Rathkenny mountain or Smarmore are tough enough.

I was up around the turbines west of Collon a few weeks ago for the first time in years, coming from Drogheda to Collon straight though onto the Kells Rd and right up Everitts Lane. I think the other road up from Collon is steeper?

The view from the roads up there on a good day though is stunning. I think you're only about 250m up max there? But yeah those roads aren't kind on the legs.

Was curious though if anyone rides off road around the turbines there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

That makes sense, you can stop early etc if weather turns - gives you more flexibility. Are campsites open now?

Not at the moment but one site owner we spoke to said we could pitch a tent in a corner of his field just so we are a bit more secure although there will be no facilities open

• Advertisement

Got out for 50k last night. In keeping with my rare ability to mess up KOM attempts, I went for a long uphill one I hadn't done before as the wind was with me. I was 15 seconds ahead and nearly done when I managed to go the wrong way at a junction and the segment went dead.

Nice to get out though after a few midweek spins on the turbo due to the rain - 50 km with 700 climbing at 27.5kph.

Yeah from Tullallen just go straight west.
    Melifont over to Grangegeeth and keep going straight you'll hit the second highest point in Meath over in Rathbran.
    If you want more hills head north to Sydan and over to Newtown nice climb and descent if you head on to Collon. Fairly downhill home then.

My mam is from that neck of the woods and I never ever realized the amount of hills up there until I headed on the bike.

Thanks for the tips (on what to avoid :D). It looks like I made it as far as Grangegeeth and took L5603 to Slane. Approaching Bawn Hill / Grangeeeth I could see the windmills in the distance.

554020.jpg

And this photo is from just around Hurcle hill (turning left coming out of Melifont abbey, over the bridge, up the hill and taking first right to Hurcle hill - dramatic approach to hurcle hill too - the hill blocks your field of vision and all you see is a road going straight up like a wall, reminded me of the south side of Mamore gap, but similarities ends in the optics thankfully, just a small hill really).

https://www.strava.com/activities/5351959527

Really tranquil part of the world too. I will be going back that way for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Headed out on Sat intending to do around 70km plus, ended up doing 91km but I suffered at the end as I had'nt brought any grub. Made up for it yesterday,106km around NCD. Stuck a Fulfil bar in the back pocket but it was just about enough. I'd say the road maintenance workers in Ballyboughal were sick of the sight of me, such was the amount of laps of the locality. Weatherwise, it was almost perfect apart from the stiff/blustery wind out by the coast.

70kms and about 900m, around Blessington lakes and over to Hollywood, Dunlavin and home, chain jumped on a bad bit of road and DI2 went into crash mode, first time that ever happened, lashed rain then, was nice to be out though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm back on the turbo after smashing my hand into the teeth of a crankset when removing a pedal. I was worried it was broken for a few days, but even though it still tender, it's not sore enough to be that bad.

Anyway did a virtual Ventoux on Road Grand Tours today. took me 90 mins and then warmed down for the "descent". I miss the fresh air and nature, but enjoy the cat coming in, looking at me with sheer disdain and leaving the room for somewhere quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Another lovely day for it in the (sunny) south east, a few splashes of rain, but nothing to write home about.
    48 km at 26ish kph, dont know what's happened to Strava, its not showing.
    Lovely couple of days off work, bar the drive up and back to the Aviva for the vaccination.

went over the Wicklow gap to Laragh and up to Glenmacnass waterfall, then back down to Laragh for an a coffee and back over the gap again to get home, 113kms and 1440m climbed, good few around Laragh for a weekday,

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Did my first attempt at Kilmashogue. That is a spicy one. Jesus the end is a killer. Followed it up with a loop around the reservoir.

57km with 1022m of climbing.

https://strava.app.link/eq3grDb4zgb

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time out in about ten days. first time out to bellewstown in at least six months; got 60km in, just shy of 800m climbing. lovely evening for it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5362753715

Very nearly met my maker tonight. Just outside a village, I saw the nose of tractor peering out of a field. Eye balled the driver and he looked at me and then up the road but never looked back in my direction and went without checking. I had a feeling he was going to pull out in front of me and slammed on, swerved and just missed the prongs of his silage bailer as I went off into the ditch. Must have been in shock but once I realised I was ok, I got back on and cycled a few metres up the road when I heard a volley of abuse from the driver.

I'm normally pretty level headed but I lost it and turned around, jumped off the bike and had it out with him. He insisted it was my fault as I wasn't wearing a 'yellow jacket'. I had front and rear lights on despite the fact that it was incredibly bright and only 6.50pm. I think he was actually blinded by the sun. We spent about a minute roaring abuse at each other - he kept shouting about a yellow jacket.

I showed him the high vis gilet I keep in my pocket for evenings when the light is poor and explained that I thought it was pretty ****ty that he had nearly killed me and all he cared about was abusing me when I was happy to leave it go initially.

Eventually, he saw sense and apologised, but only after I took a photo of the tractor reg and threatened to report him. I'm not going to bother as I could tell in the end that he was pretty shook when I told him that had I not been so aware he'd have been peeling me off the road.

I dropped my bottle twice on the remainder of the cycle as I was shaking so much, but managed 50k with 600 climbing at 31kph. And I'm still alive.

• Advertisement

Very nearly met my maker tonight. Just outside a village, I saw the nose of tractor peering out of a field. Eye balled the driver and he looked at me and then up the road but never looked back in my direction and went without checking. I had a feeling he was going to pull out in front of me and slammed on, swerved and just missed the prongs of his silage bailer as I went off into the ditch. Must have been in shock but once I realised I was ok, I got back on and cycled a few metres up the road when I heard a volley of abuse from the driver.

I'm normally pretty level headed but I lost it and turned around, jumped off the bike and had it out with him. He insisted it was my fault as I wasn't wearing a 'yellow jacket'. I had front and rear lights on despite the fact that it was incredibly bright and only 6.50pm. I think he was actually blinded by the sun. We spent about a minute roaring abuse at each other - he kept shouting about a yellow jacket.

I showed him the high vis gilet I keep in my pocket for evenings when the light is poor and explained that I thought it was pretty ****ty that he had nearly killed me and all he cared about was abusing me when I was happy to leave it go initially.

Eventually, he saw sense and apologised, but only after I took a photo of the tractor reg and threatened to report him. I'm not going to bother as I could tell in the end that he was pretty shook when I told him that had I not been so aware he'd have been peeling me off the road.

I dropped my bottle twice on the remainder of the cycle as I was shaking so much, but managed 50k with 600 climbing at 31kph. And I'm still alive.

Jesus that sounds horrendous, glad your ok and glad the dope saw sense in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

He must have been listening to the FCI too much! https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-farm-group-reminds-cyclists-of-their-responsibilities-to-tractors-large-vehicles/
    Glad you're ok.

Mundo7976 wrote: »

Bit of noise needs to be made about that, I'm lucky I've not had anything but positive interactions with tractors in recent times, but the age of the lads driving them is a bit unnerving. The last thing those young lads need to have drummed into them is everyone else needs to watch out for you.

Fair play avoiding getting skewered by the tractor dancinpants!!

I have huge amount of respect (ehmm.. out of fear) for tractors after a brown trouser moment while riding the motorbike - one moment I am beautifully leaning into this corner, and the next second I am staring this wall of a tractor just meters ahead and barely moving. Shudders!!

Another time, a tractor approached the road from the left, sees me coming up on the road, breaks hard and in the process dumps a loader full of water one me - I think it was water anyway, but I had my goretex gear on, so I just kept riding until it dried up.

Both incidents happened on N51 (Drogheda-Slane). Seeing fresh tractor tyre marks on the road is like seeing fresh elephant droppings on a forest trail. :D

After Ventoux on Tuesday, and with time squeezed and my hand still a bit sore, today was a virtual Stelvio to partly honour the Giro. A few more of these and the Evil 200 will be a easy right?

https://www.strava.com/activities/5365391548

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Scary one today. Got taken out of it by an SUV entering the roundabout at Stocking lane but through some fluke managed to stay upright as I was going at a good lick. The driver stopped and she apologised profusely, talking about a fly in the car distracting her. I left it at that and reckon she was even more shook up than I was. Got back on the bike and had another brief wobble before realising the front wheel and handlebars were no longer facing the same direction. Took it easy for the last bit home and pretty pleased getting in the door feeling that a bullet had just been dodged.

Had gone up cross country through Tibradden and Cruagh wood before coming out to the viewing point. To of Cruagh road is being resurfaced currently so I'd advise avoiding. I asked was it ok to go through and was told I could but the still sticky tar turned my Gravel King tyres in Gravel King Plus, the plus being the extra gravel that became attached. Will clean them and give the bike a bit of TLC this evening. Brake cables may also have become a bit stretched :o A beer may also be called for.

Between tractors and SuVs. Smashing my hand may have been a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I feel like a bit of a fraud with not having a close call to report - thankfully!!

Beautiful morning for it, got out for 55 km at 27.7 kph. Shorts and short sleeve top weather.
    Drimnagh to Tallaght, up the N81 to Blessington and back again.

https://strava.app.link/GFx12dYpBgb

No close call for me, except I nearly lost my sanity enroute to Adare but managed to get here eventually after about 10 hours of non stop rain, in the tent now and feeling ok, managed 220kms today so only have 80kms to do tomorrow so hopefully I’m not too sore when I wake

• Advertisement

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    No close call for me, except I nearly lost my sanity enroute to Adare but managed to get here eventually after about 10 hours of non stop rain, in the tent now and feeling ok, managed 220kms today so only have 80kms to do tomorrow so hopefully I’m not too sore when I wake

Fair play! Take it handy for the last 80km. You will probably feel stiff but it mightn't kick in properly until Friday evening. I hope the weather is kind to you.

Advertisement