Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a feeling for traction limits

Options
  • 21-04-2021 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

I'm a new rider... just 1000km under my belt at this stage.

I've been watching lots of videos on youtube... Dan Dan the Fireman... Motojitsu... CanyonChasers.

I'm quite safety conscious... not much of a speed freak. Trying to educate myself and minimise the risks as much as possible - aware that as a new rider, it is a fairly dangerous time. I have a short 10k commute to my office on a relatively quiet country road and my plan is to do this 4 times a day (returning for lunch) to build up my experience level in a fairly safe controlled way.

One thing I am wondering is how much I need to slow down in a bend when it is wet. More generally, I'm wondering how to get a sense of where the limit of traction is short of the obvious way, of losing it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That sense of traction only comes with time on the bike and an appreciation of how much your bike and tyres grip.
    You have traction grip and cornering and braking grip, all of these add up to 100% so in a bend you may be using 60% of the grip available for cornering and there is 40% left for traction/braking as an example.
    Not all road surfaces grip evenly some are way slippier than others and if there is loose debris on the bend then it is another thing entirely.
    Just ride steady and look through the corner and try and feel what your bike is doing underneath you, try not to brake in the bend itself as you will stand the bike up and run wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

I'm in a similar stage to the OP and would add another to your YT viewing - MC Rider. His latest video about cornering might help.
    https://youtu.be/hRWZYmQYLmc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

The wet takes away a lot of feedback on a bike.

As a beginner slow down a lot more when its wet, yes, you still have a lot more grip than you think but you want to be very smooth, and this is probably something you have yet to master. Get all your braking done in advance, right speed, gear, road position for the corner. Steady smooth throttle all the time and avoid dumping the throttle while leaned over. Looking as far ahead as you can will open the corner for you and help you stay smooth and confident....and all of this pretty much applies to the dry too.

It takes longer for your tyres to warm up in the wet, so take it handy if you're just riding 10k. With this in mind, what tyres are you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Also if it's rain you're worried about knocking your confidence, get tyres that boost it.
    A good all-round tyre that performs great in the wet would be Michelin Pilot Road.
    Excellent in the wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any bit of slick. Or even a particular poorly laid tarmac surface can remove your traction.
    Had a fun slide up the lights the other evening ground was wet but good 20 meters away from lights straight on back wheel locks up and slides left . Kept the front steered into the turn and she came right over about 8 meters.

Little things like that can throw you off and reactions to them are just as important.

Keep the controls smooth , smooth smooth smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I don't ride much in the wet but when I do/did I try to assume there is little traction and ride accordingly. I understand and am willing to exploit the fact there is lots (in most circumstances) but keep this in my pocket.
    The only issue with the above is you have to understand its there and be willing to use it or you may not commit because of fear.

Ps fresh rubber (for the conditions) at the correct psi mondo important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks for the great advice everyone.

Someone asked about the tires - I have whatever was on the bike from the dealer. I bought a 2020 demo model. I believe they are Dunlop.
    H_Lime wrote:
    The only issue with the above is you have to understand its there and be willing to use it or you may not commit because of fear.
    Yeah, I guess that's my concern... it would be good to have a feeling for how much is there... it's not the kinda thing you want to find out by trial and error lol! But you're dead right.
    I'm in a similar stage to the OP and would add another to your YT viewing - MC Rider. His latest video about cornering might help.
    https://youtu.be/hRWZYmQYLmc

Thanks for that - some mentioned MC Rider in another thread I think, I must check him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

I'm only 7 Months on my bike now and the difference when you have some confidence is huge,

I rode all through winter, I found I had to be more gentle on the controls when it was wet\frosty.

At the start I would go into a corner expecting to end up on my backside if I leaned over at all,

After a while on the bike you realize the bike has way more traction than most of us will ever need.

Any times I've had issues its down to me not reading the road surface \ going in too fast \ wrong line into a corner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Competence and Confidence go hand in hand.

Just be careful to not let an over supply of one lead to an under supply of the other!!

I say this as a lad with the grand total of 8 months driving bikes!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

At sensible riding speeds and style traction is not much of an issue under normal circumstances.

The only real way to find the limit is to push it until it slips.

Far more important is to adjust your speed before entering the corner keep your head up and be alert and be looking at the road ahead. Adjust your speed before entering the corner and keep on the throttle so you have control of the bike. As others have said keep it smooth.

90% of the problems you may encounter is in front of you.

People pulling out of a house or junction
    Animals
    Debris
    Slick surface oil more than water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Competence and Confidence go hand in hand.

Just be careful to not let an over supply of one lead to an under supply of the other!!

I say this as a lad with the grand total of 8 months driving bikes!! :P

Reminds me of what MC Rider says in this video that @enrique66_35 linked :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRWZYmQYLmc

He's saying novice riders who have a healthy fear and respect for the machine and riding, tend to have low speed drops but when that gives way to confidence after a year or so, but skill levels are still not developed, this is a dangerous phase leading to more serious high speed accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Definitely make sure you're checking your mechanicals daily too. Are you checking tyre pressures (every day!) and are you sure they're a good choice for your usage?

I started on a ropey Bandit and I had no idea how insanely bad the headstock bearings were until a mechanic advised me they needed doing "now-ish". I had no idea I had been riding a death-trap.

Advertisement