Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying rough/rustic timber poles

Options
  • 21-04-2021 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone help me with a quick question?

Many years ago I used be able to go to some place and buy what I assume were timber thinnings - straight poles with bark on about 3" or so in diameter, with which I built a rustic trellis/fence affair.

Is it still possible to buy (small quantities of) something like this?

No matter how I phrase it in google I get stuff that is not what I want - 'Rustic timber poles' only comes up with UK firms. What am I looking for, are they still available and what kind of supplier might have them? I am in the south east.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Maybe call a few timber harvesting contractors in your area. Timber that thin is of no real commercial use, so they may supply it to you for cheap.

I donated similar sized wood to the local scout den when I was thinning my forest. The felling contractor I used didn't charge for gathering it up for them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thank you for that 'timber harvesting contractors' was the phrase I needed to start to find some links.

No firms apparently in my county but I did find one not too far away so I have a lead to chase up. People are usually good about pointing the right direction once you make a start :)

I guess you could try Coillte too. I have never dealt with them, so I have no idea how you would get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭con747

I used to get them in my local sawmills, they will have them.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I had been through the Coilte site but hadn't found anything that pointed in a useful direction. I think your suggestion of harvesters might be the way to go.

Can you tell me, is there a particular time of year that thinning is done?

• Advertisement

As this is not something that is normally for sale, it is not surprising that you could not find anything on the Coillte site. Essentially, you are looking for a favour from either a harvester or Coillte.

The suggestion to try a sawmill is good too.

Also, harvesting is done all year round.

con747 wrote: »
    I used to get them in my local sawmills, they will have them.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't seen any around me, you need very local knowledge to find the smaller sawmills a lot of the time, most seem to only deal with the large timber that will be sawn. The nearest guy to me that calls himself a sawmill doesn't even do any sawing, he just buys timber in.

I think it was a sawmill that I got the first lot from, but that is decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »

Thanks for that, I am in a county that does not have a lot of forestry (Waterford) which probably accounts for the difficulty in finding any. I'll probably wait until the country opens up a bit again, its a bit impossible to do anything at the moment :)

I certainly have a better lead on who to ask now though, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Local yard here in south Kerry always has them and sells them in huge piles of 8-16 foot lengths @ 75 euro delivered locally, they are a mix of spruce and larch. Most people use them for firewood.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Now that's what I could deal with! If there is anyone round here doing that though I haven't come across them!

Edit - just thought, there is a crowd in Clonmel might be able to put me in the right direction, I hadn't thought of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

looksee wrote: »
    Now that's what I could deal with! If there is anyone round here doing that though I haven't come across them!

Edit - just thought, there is a crowd in Clonmel might be able to put me in the right direction, I hadn't thought of them.

How many poles do you want? What length?

Can you collect?

Pollards in Clonmel should be able to sort you either way

Yes, it was Pollards I suddenly thought of. I am going to have to invest in a small trailer, I need one anyway, but I will ring them and see what they say.

Edit, contacted Pollards, they do not take delivery of the thinner timber, only large ones for sawing.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Hey looksee, I have a lorry load of poles ill be peeling to make show jumping poles out of, 3.6m in length from about 3 inches to 5 inches if they are any use?

Can either do a peeled or not peeled pole if they might suite your needs? As the name suggests I'm kilkenny so not too far away.

Hi, I'll pm you, thanks!

Advertisement