Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky box in the attic

• 22-04-2021 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have recently build a new house & im at the stage of setting up TV’s.

My goal is to not have any Sky box or dodgy box or any boxes/cables beside tv’s which will be wall mounted.

I’ll have a main room with TV & Data point, Data point in all other rooms incl. playroom & 1 other TV point in our eldest’s room.

What are my options with
    1) setting up Sky - can I get a Sky Q box in the attic & then use Sky eye for multi rooms?

2) can I place Amazon Firestick in the attic and control via a eye like Sky?

Any advice on best set up would be great with the main objective being to have no boxes beside tv’s!

Cheers
    Chesty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Hi there,

My goal is to not have any Sky box or dodgy box or any boxes/cables beside tv’s which will be wall mounted.

I’ll have a main room with TV & Data point, Data point in all other rooms incl. playroom & 1 other TV point in our eldest’s room.

What are my options with
    1) setting up Sky - can I get a Sky Q box in the attic & then use Sky eye for multi rooms?

Any advice on best set up would be great with the main objective being to have no boxes beside tv’s!

Cheers
    Chesty

Is it a bungalo?..

There are limits to how far a Hdmi signal will travel down a cable, 5m springs to mind.
    There was a post recently about sky q remotes and apparently they are Bluetooth now so may work through one ceiling but probably not 2.

I know this isn't what you asked but if it was me I would build a box into the stud wall near or behind the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Unless you’ve pre wired to the tv points with hdmi cables will you not be sacrificing picture quality on the nice new TVs to avoid seeing a box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What are my options with

My brother uses one of these for a SkyQ box located remotely, converts the HDMI SkyQ output to a DVB-T RF channel over the co-ax cable that can be tuned in as a regular TV channel. IR return via the co-ax using SkyQ IR r/c.

https://www.freetv.ie/hd-to-rf-modulator/
    http://www.technomate.com/products/TM%252dRF-HD-IR.html/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi there,

What are my options with

Cheers
    Chesty

Presumably all those 'data points' are wired back to a specific location ........ is this the attic or do you have a 'media press' in a more accessible location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Thinking will picture quality be affected?

• Advertisement

Neatest solution might be to have the main sky q "boxed in" in the living room then sky mini boxes behind the other tv's. They're only small so they'll fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Presumably all those 'data points' are wired back to a specific location ........ is this the attic or do you have a 'media press' in a more accessible location?

All wired back to the attic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

It’s a two storey house. I’m not doing a boxed in style built stud partition for the tv to sit in.

It’ll be straight onto the wall & that’s why I want the box hidden

It’s a two storey house. I’m not doing a boxed in style built stud partition for the tv to sit in.

It’ll be straight onto the wall & that’s why I want the box hidden

What cables have you running to the "server room" and are you able to run more?

From the sounds of it you'll be running hdmi (direct, or over coax or ethernet) from the attic. That doesn't seem ideal for reliability.

What I was thinking of wasn't a box around the TV, but a hidden alcove in the wall (between the studs) into which you could place the sky box. Then either cover it with plywood and paint over it, or better, site the alcove directly behind the tv and wall bracket. The TV would be flush to the wall.
    I haven't seen the size of a sky q box to see if it would work, but it definitely would with a sky mini. Obviously needing to be careful about ventilation. A decent carpenter should be able to wangle something. What do you think?

Advertisement