Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting surround sound to TV

• 22-04-2021 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I've got a cheap technika 5.1 home theatre system that I'm trying to connect to new LG TV.
    With the old TV, I was able to connect it to the headphone hole on TV from the subwoofer.

The new TV doesn't have a headphone socket.

There are 6 inputs from the subwoofer; front L&R, rear L&R, SW and CEN

The new TV (LG - 49UN73006LA) has video/Y, PB, PR and LEFT and RIGHT audio on the back.
    There are 2 HDMIs and 1 HDMI ARC ports.
    It also has optical but the subwoofer doesn't have that.

Basically I'm asking what cable do I need to connect the TV to the surround sound? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

davidcorry wrote: »
    I've got a cheap technika 5.1 home theatre system that I'm trying to connect to new LG TV.
    With the old TV, I was able to connect it to the headphone hole on TV from the subwoofer.

The new TV (LG - 49UN73006LA) has video/Y, PB, PR and LEFT and RIGHT audio on the back.

Basically I'm asking what cable do I need to connect the TV to the surround sound? Cheers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valueline-VLAP22255B02-Stereo-Audio-Female-Black/dp/B00OHW3Q4E/ref=asc_df_B00OHW3Q4E/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218843350928&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2587007909367309130&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007864&hvtargid=pla-423278804795&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Hdmi, or 2 phono to 2 phono if no hdmi input on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 davidcorry

Thanks, the subwoofer doesn't have hdmi.
    It's a cheap thing I bought off donedeal.

The only audio outputs available in the settings on the TV are internal speaker, Bluetooth, mobile device, optical, HDMI Arc and Bluetooth surround

Connect L to L and R to R and see what happens

I wouldn't expect it to sound much better than the TV itself

The lads on the Richer Sounds forum will sell you a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 davidcorry

athlone573 wrote: »
    Connect L to L and R to R and see what happens

I wouldn't expect it to sound much better than the TV itself

The lads on the Richer Sounds forum will sell you a cable.

Yeah, have a spare phono to phono cable and nothing, no sound. Tried all audio outputs the TV has to offer but no sound.
    I'm thinking 2 phono to HDMI Arc cable but no experience of this.
    Would the hdmi input not need to be selected on TV in order to get any sound from it? Like if I am in HDMI 1 (not arc) then how is sound from Arc gonna be heard on HDMI 1?

Thanks for your help so far!
    P. S. Where can I find Richer Sounds?

• Advertisement

Yeah, have a spare phono to phono cable and nothing, no sound. Tried all audio outputs the TV has to offer but no sound.
    I'm thinking 2 phono to HDMI Arc cable but no experience of this.
    Would the hdmi input not need to be selected on TV in order to get any sound from it? Like if I am in HDMI 1 (not arc) then how is sound from Arc gonna be heard on HDMI 1?

Thanks for your help so far!
    P. S. Where can I find Richer Sounds?

I give up. Use the search bar here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

You can get a small optical to rca adapter for 20e in Powercity, would that do the job.

Advertisement