Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray for Evergreen Tree.

Options
  • 22-04-2021 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

Whilst not a fan of sprays generally, I have a number of Golden Crest (I think) tree's I've had since small pot size. I've since replanted into ground, good sunshine, air circulation etc. I've noticed a greyish tint developing on one of the tree's and assume it's a fungus of sorts, primarily in the centre.

I wonder is it and is there a treatment anyone can recommend.

Thanks in advance of any advice.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Picture if it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Tree looks healthy to me. There are lots of fungi in gardens and many of them play important rolls in decaying dead material so the nutrients can be used again by plants and some even directly interact with plant roots to help them find more nutrients in the soil. There are only a small percentage of fungi that are pathogenic to plants. Do you have a reason to think this grayish tint which I can't see in the photo is causing some harm to your plant? There are some fungi that grow on the material excreted form aphids when they feed on plants but really just guessing as to what this fungi that you have observed might be. A fungicide spray will kill beneficial fungi as well as any that could be causing harm to your plant so I wouldn't recommend spraying and even if I see a plant in my garden that is diseased I just let nature take its course and replace it if it dies with something more robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

macraignil wrote: »
    Tree looks healthy to me. There are lots of fungi in gardens and many of them play important rolls in decaying dead material so the nutrients can be used again by plants and some even directly interact with plant roots to help them find more nutrients in the soil. There are only a small percentage of fungi that are pathogenic to plants. Do you have a reason to think this grayish tint which I can't see in the photo is causing some harm to your plant? There are some fungi that grow on the material excreted form aphids when they feed on plants but really just guessing as to what this fungi that you have observed might be. A fungicide spray will kill beneficial fungi as well as any that could be causing harm to your plant so I wouldn't recommend spraying and even if I see a plant in my garden that is diseased I just let nature take its course and replace it if it dies with something more robust.

Thanks for that, photo doesn't really show the greyish color as its in the centre around the Trunk. I'll take your advice and leave it, perhaps with weather improving after an extended damp spell might sort the issue. Thanks again

Advertisement