Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vestibular Disease

• 22-04-2021 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Sudden onset yesterday of vomiting and inability to walk, resulting in a trip to vet and overnight stay on fluids and steroids for my lab of unknown age, but approx 10/11yrs we think.
    I wouldn't have thought he is an old old dog yet, as is still very active. Vet last night made it seem as though after 12/24 hrs on fluids he'd be grand, this mornings vet suggested he may be left with head tilt and eye flicker.

Anyone have any experience of this condition and effects on the dog afterwards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah sorry to hear about your boy - you must have gotten a bad fright? I've no experience of it myself but have seen posts about on one of the CAM FB groups - Hollys Army - you might be able to get some info there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Just to add to this, 24 hrs after vet discharge, 48hrs from starting, I'm starting to see signs of improvement. Dealing with a lab with no appetite is a novelty I don't like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Sudden onset yesterday of vomiting and inability to walk, resulting in a trip to vet and overnight stay on fluids and steroids for my lab of unknown age, but approx 10/11yrs we think.
    I wouldn't have thought he is an old old dog yet, as is still very active. Vet last night made it seem as though after 12/24 hrs on fluids he'd be grand, this mornings vet suggested he may be left with head tilt and eye flicker.

Yep, we had an old guy who got a very bad bout of it around 13/14 years old and the vet wanted to put him to sleep, he was in the vets for 2 days and we took him home on a Friday with the idea he'd spend the weekend at home and go back Monday.
    My partner isnt a fan of euthanasia however and decided we'd do all we can to get him back to somewhere that he could enjoy life.
    It was a long road, he could not walk for weeks after, was incontinent, and had to be carried everywhere, hand fed. But he was an absolute warrior, I know people often say their pets are tough but this guy was just not one for giving up, his spirit was amazing. He got back to being able to walk well enough for 30 min walks regularly, playing, scoffing food and was very happy. He had maybe 2 more good years and then his body and mind gave up. The vet said if we were waiting for his heart or other organs to go in his sleep, it would be a long wait, because they were still like a 10 year old dog, but he was getting very scared at nights and could no longer walk, so we made the decision to help end his suffering.
    He had a bit of a head tilt afterwards but nothing that affected him adversely. He got on with it and was a happy dog.
    Its a tough illness but with the right help and a strong spirit they can come back.
    I hope your doggo does.

I don't mean to worry you, or contradict a trained vet - but the same thing happened to my dog when she was 11. Sudden onset on a Saturday night - I brought her straight to UCD emergency vet and they kept her in and diagnosed her with vestibular disease and discharged her back into the care of my own vet on Monday morning, still on a drip.

Two days later she had a massive stroke. My own vet believes the first attack was a smaller stroke, leading up to the big one. My own vet would not release her until the eye flicker had stopped, and she had a pretty bad head tilt for a few months afterwards, and even after she recovered, her head would tilt when she got tired. My vet gave her thirty days at the time to either improve, or deteriorate. She said if the dog had another stroke within 30 days, we should consider our option

But, happily, she did recover - albeit very slowly - and lived another three years. Similar to above, she had to be lifted in and out of the garden for the first couple of weeks until she got a bit steadier. Six months later you would never know except for the slight head tilt. So if I were you I would keep a very, very close eye on your dog and if there are any hint of a sign of deterioration, get her back to the vet asap.

I hope in your dog's case, it is just vestibular disease, and hope they recover quickly. Poor doggo.

Advertisement