Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mink

• 22-04-2021 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

I want to start trapping mink on the local canal , I can get the traps in the local shop . Have ye got any tips on whens the best time to do it and where's the best place to leave traps , the canal see a good bit of activity so would I be wasting my time due to someone picking it up and binning it . Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

I want to start trapping mink on the local canal , I can get the traps in the local shop . Have ye got any tips on whens the best time to do it and where's the best place to leave traps , the canal see a good bit of activity so would I be wasting my time due to someone picking it up and binning it . Thanks

Think the last line is your problem, people will lob them in the nearest hedge and let the world know about them on Facebook also I don't know if you can legally set traps on the canal without waterways Ireland permission.
    Maybe try the little drains or ditches that run alongside the canal out of sight of the public.I use tuna or chicken and check traps every evening.Google mink droppings and look for them along ditches and drains and you'll see the paths they make.
    Cover cage with vegetation or make up a simple box the same size of the cage and place it in it.Most important thing is patience as sometimes you might get nothing for months on end.I only trap in spring, summer and half of autumn as the streams I trap will fill up after a couple days of heavy rain and wash traps out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Asus1 wrote: »
    Think the last line is your problem, people will lob them in the nearest hedge and let the world know about them on Facebook also I don't know if you can legally set traps on the canal without waterways Ireland permission.
    Maybe try the little drains or ditches that run alongside the canal out of sight of the public.I use tuna or chicken and check traps every evening.Google mink droppings and look for them along ditches and drains and you'll see the paths they make.
    Cover cage with vegetation or make up a simple box the same size of the cage and place it in it.Most important thing is patience as sometimes you might get nothing for months on end.I only trap in spring, summer and half of autumn as the streams I trap will fill up after a couple days of heavy rain and wash traps out.

Thanks man , would rats be setting off the traps aswell ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Good advise above. Coming into the warmer months you need to change bait regular.

Here's a tip I've mentioned before. Look at the area you intend to trap
    on Google maps, and you'll see any little streams drains etc, and go check them out. Most places will have mink present, even little drains, with no fish in them. As said above, look for little inlets going into the canal. Trap them away from canal walkways. A nice quiet spot away from prying eye's.

Don't think so as I've caught a few rats.I did have one trap keep tripping and I couldn't figure it out.Put up trail camera and it was a cat coming at cage from the side and sticking paw through it setting it off and would pull the bits of chicken out the bars.Thats why I started using homemade boxes covering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Makhnovist

What would be the reason for trapping mink exactly?

• Advertisement

Makhnovist wrote: »

Invasive species which has no predators.It is extremely hard on anything that lives on or near water.I trap as I've ground nesting waders on my land who are redlisted and who's young are easy picking for mink.Government policy was total wipe out of them but realistically they know it's not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Invasive species which has no predators.It is extremely hard on anything that lives on or near water.I trap as I've ground nesting waders on my land who are redlisted and who's young are easy picking for mink.Government policy was total wipe out of them but realistically they know it's not possible.

We're overrun with Pine Martens here in West Mayo but we can't touch them.

You'll catch rats when mink trapping. A trapping comb is a good addition to cage traps, for releasing none target's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Makhnovist wrote: »

Between them and cormorants the canal is destroyed. They're a non native predator that kills birds and their eggs , fish, frogs etc.

Eddie B wrote: »
    You'll catch rats when mink trapping. A trapping comb is a good addition to cage traps, for releasing none target's.

Quick question,I'm getting rid of the 22 and I use to put CCI shorts in it to shoot the mink the hmr would be crazy dangerous.Wondering does anyone put the cage at 30y and hit it with 28gr no7 or 8.Im thinking the cage would survive but it would kill mink.

• Advertisement

Quick question,I'm getting rid of the 22 and I use to put CCI shorts in it to shoot the mink the hmr would be crazy dangerous.Wondering does anyone put the cage at 30y and hit it with 28gr no7 or 8.Im thinking the cage would survive but it would kill mink.

I know lads who shoot the mink in the cage with shotguns. It wouldn't be my weapon of choice to be honest, for fear of damaging the trap. I know that shooting from the appropriate distance should lead to no trap damage, but I think eventually it will take its tole.

When cage trapping, I use an air rifle, and find it very handy. Only other suggestion, is to use spring traps such as Fenns and Bodygrips. That's what I've mainly been using the last fifteen years or more.

Eddie B wrote: »
    I know lads who shoot the mink in the cage with shotguns. It wouldn't be my weapon of choice to be honest, for fear of damaging the trap. I know that shooting from the appropriate distance should lead to no trap damage, but I think eventually it will take its tole.

When cage trapping, I use an air rifle, and find it very handy. Only other suggestion, is to use spring traps such as Fenns and Bodygrips. That's what I've mainly been using the last fifteen years or more.

Ideally I'd have an air rifle for exactly that and I believe a person who has been given a licence for a shotgun or rifle should be allowed get an air rifle by just having it registered with Garda via RFD sending documents without the need to apply for a separate licence.
    As this is not happening any time soon I'll just chance the shotgun.

Ideally I'd have an air rifle for exactly that and I believe a person who has been given a licence for a shotgun or rifle should be allowed get an air rifle by just having it registered with Garda via RFD sending documents without the need to apply for a separate licence.
    As this is not happening any time soon I'll just chance the shotgun.

Yea, I hear ya. I seldom use mine to be honest, but feel I need to hold onto it, for cage trapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Bird shot for the .22 to shoot mink in the cage trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭JP22

Bird shot for the .22 to shoot mink in the cage trap.

+1.

Equipment is expensive enough as it is and the last thing we want is to damage same.

Also consider low power (reduced charge) ammo, .22 shorts, etc..........
    Easy enough to carry a handful specific for this job.

If using s/gun, the lowest power cartridge available will do the job but, a .22 is better, cleaner, etc..........

.22 shorts would be too dangerous in my opinion. As I mentioned 22 birdshot at close range is probably the safest method.

.22 shorts would be too dangerous in my opinion. As I mentioned 22 birdshot at close range is probably the safest method.

I've killed loads of mink with CCI shorts never had one pass through also used them twice on fox who got into Larsen cage.Never used 22 bird shot.

Any kind of a rick o shea has to be taken seriously. Or a trip to the hospital might be inevitable.

Advertisement