Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

i still haven't found what i'm looking for

Options
  • 22-04-2021 10:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭

just curious as to what religious music non-believers get a kick out of.

i suspect if you were at an al green concert in his prime, you'd believe whatever he told you to believe.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

A mish mash of stuff for me, most recently getting into some Regina Spektor who dips in and out of religious themes;

Likewise Belle and Sebastian

And a huge favourite of mine is the very Reverend D'Wayne Love (RIP)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Gregorian chants.
    Seriously. Love them.

I admire the passion and verve with which a lot of Gospel music is sung, and how that informed the Blues. Let's just say the CDs in my car are Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith etc etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a soft spot for this song; mainly because i have a recording over 20 years old of my wife singing it (she was a choral scholar in trinity); i won't share that with you because she'd murder me backwards twice if i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I have been a Van Morrison fan since forever, or at least of all his music up until about 1999.

There is about 20 songs of his above all the rest that illicit spiritual and emotional responses out of me. And quite a few of those songs are overtly religious songs. Yet despite being the least religious person I know, the songs occasionally communicate to me intense emotional and spiritual emotions. Like "In the Garden" which is pretty much a song celebrating the Christian Trinity.

Just goes to show that when you resonate with an artist they can illicit in you emotions and experiences vicariously that you would never feel yourself. Despite having no time for, or belief in, the Christian Trinity I feel the song can in the right moment give me a vicarious religious experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Christian "Rock" - Two lies for the price of one :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not familiar with that song; but he does seem to have a thing about gardens wet with rain.

Christian "Rock" - Two lies for the price of one :pac:

Guessing a few Led Zep fans might take issue with that one

Not so much of a zep fan these days but am fond of The Be Good Tanyas cover of the above. No doubt posting the country version would get me lynched as a heretic by the more hard core rockers.

smacl wrote: »
    fond memories of someone in class nicking my led zep tape and putting it in the audio system of our french teacher (a rather strict priest) after he failed to show for class. he eventually turned up just as robert plant was having his 'moment' just starting about 10:10 in. weirdly, he didn't say a word, i thought i was for the high jump.

No doubt posting the country version would get me lynched as a heretic by the more hard core rockers.
    well, it's not as if it's a zep original. it's a blues/gospel song originally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

just curious as to what religious music non-believers get a kick out of.
    I play the pipe organ and - finger in the air - perhaps two-thirds of the repertoire is intended for religious use, or based upon religious themes in one way or another. Not exactly to my liking, but there you go. At least, it's produced some really good music. Same for choral.

Olivier Messiaen, Les Anges, from La Nativité du Seigneur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9eHwmHUlyI, Olivier Messiaen, Sortie, Messe de la Pentecôte.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLAR4PCvok, Charles Tournemire, Improvisation on Victimæ Paschali laudes (reconstituted by Maurice Duruflé).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncqw36FXgEs, Maurice Duruflé, 'In Paradisum' from Requiem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0cyHGMsJBM#t=10m16s, Benjamin Britten's, This Little Babe from 'Ceremony of Carols'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZnlETqQn-A&list=OLAK5uy_njUxed-Y6QHDe87jQn5yTpZEgpXfpEMxw Jean Langlais, Missa 'Salve Regina'

• Advertisement

Then, there's this dear, clearly enjoying an outing with Messiaen - Transports de Joie:

robindch wrote: »
    I play the pipe organ
    you probably know a chap my wife knows from trinity, an organ player, initials RM?

Think they're just hitting some cultural touchstones with that one, same as they stole from ;) were inspired by the blues. Jimmy Page is said to be into the occult (whatever that actually means, but it sure spooks xtians.)

Plant appears to be a woo merchant rather than a Xtian:

https://hollowverse.com/robert-plant/

But it was never marketed as "Christian Rock". U2 wasn't either, even though they proclaim to be xtians and several songs address those themes.

Life ain't always empty.

:pac:

Then, there's this dear, clearly enjoying an outing with Messiaen - Transports de Joie:

Sounds like a 15th-century Jean Michel Jarre.

Life ain't always empty.

you probably know a chap my wife knows from trinity, an organ player, initials RM?
    Yep - small world - saw him the other day out and about on his home turf at Glenageary.

Sounds like a 15th-century Jean Michel Jarre.
    15th century?

Messiaen wrote his 'Transports de joie' only fifteen years before JMJ was born :rolleyes:

I'm going to sneak this one in on the basis of rather nice use of religious metaphors for sexual intimacy by Kae Tempest here, and mostly simply because I adore the song. Sublime gig in town last year, looking forward to their return once lockdown lifts.

So go on, give me three days of your body and mine
    Time is a blind eye and I see your mind in my mind's eye
    You make me immortal
    You take me to space
    You are a planet
    A place I've not known
    Your body is home to rare gods
    I kneel at their temple
    I'm blown to bits, gentle, ferocious
    We are open

Advertisement