Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bills . HELP

Options
  • 23-04-2021 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi

Currently sharing with 4 others I need help with a problem one of the girls is refusing to pay internet , bins and electricity.

I moved in a few months ago and the issue has been going on before then , but has got much worse since she has no bill in her name either and now and is refusing to pay as she seems to think people owe her money ( lies) . The housemates already reached out to the landlord to which they got no reply , it’s been a few months now and she’s not making any attempt to pay and won’t communicate with anyone in the house blocking our numbers and leaving all group chats. It’a very frustrating. She’s also claimed she was be in bullied when they previously tried to speak about bills. At this point I can safely say she is not going to attempt to pay her debts or even start to pay them , the cost will be huge in another couple of months. That the deposit won’t even cover it !!

This must be anti social behavior? I’m thinking of emailing the landlord again as I think he has a responsibility here , or can he just leave it ?

Guys any help here is greatly appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Whoever’s name is on the utility account, that’s the person with the problem, not the landlord.

Don’t think it’s the landlords problem as bills are the responsibility of the tenants.

Someone else may know better but could she be taken to the small claims court? I think it’s a small enough amount to issue proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Can you put a password on the internet & not share it with her?

Can any of her food go missing from the fridge & end up in the said bin she won't pay for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Bus Wanker

Also change the wi fi password and don't tell her what it is. That might soften her cough.
    Not much you can do about bins or electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Change the WiFi password for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Internet as said above remove access for them, put router in a locked room. Password protect.

For food and that put in each others room so they have no access.

The 3 of you need to actually step up and confront the person together, tell them it isn't on and bills need to be paid.
    Who put the person into the property? Are they on the lease?

If it were me I'd be making living there extremely difficult and demanding the funds to have it split fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Put a lock on the fridge and freezer too. If possible.

And the oven etc. You can get magnetic ones that need a key to use. Share the keys with the bill paying tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You could be dealing with someone with mental health issues, what's her general behaviour like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

As others have said above firstly change password on Wifi and only share with those paying. Maybe rather than everyone trying to talk to her together could just one person do it - that way she cant claim you are all ganging up on her.

Only becomes a landlords problem when she isnt paying rent - dont think he would want to get involved in the bills part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

If you've only been there a few month, maybe consider moving out. Unless it's a really nice house, it doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Your landlord is not a social worker, it's not their problem. You guys have to sort this out yourselves.

Be blunt tell her you need to talk to her, she needs to pay up or move out she has the weekend to let you know which and if she's moving you want her gone as soon a possible but not less than one month say the last day of May. If she's paying she has till the end of May to pay up.

Look into changing the locks. If she won't pay up inform the LL you are kicking her out unless they have a better suggestion. Give her a warning that the locks will be changed on June first and her stuff will be outside the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lauren3142

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You could be dealing with someone with mental health issues, what's her general behaviour like?

It’s worrying to say the least , we can’t say even talk to her at this point. She refuses to engage ! I’ve lived in shared housing before and haven’t encountered anything like it. I don’t know how to explain to an adult they have to pay bills and not resort to axing like a child in the process. I definitely think there are some mental health issues, sometimes she talks and laughs to herself at the start I assumed she was on the phone until she told me that she sometimes talks to herself and laughs. We all smile to ourselves and have giggles but this was something beyond that like , she seems manipulative and dangerous in that way. She seems to have issues everywhere she goes and it’s everyone else’s fault , I never trust these people , just delusional to keep it sweet lol 😂

MacDanger wrote: »
    If you've only been there a few month, maybe consider moving out. Unless it's a really nice house, it doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle

Your probably dead right there , it’s the next step if I’m honest !

Find somewhere else to live would be my advice. You wouldn't know how someone paranoid and unstable like that would react to any escalation

Your landlord is not a social worker, it's not their problem. You guys have to sort this out yourselves.

Be blunt tell her you need to talk to her, she needs to pay up or move out she has the weekend to let you know which and if she's moving you want her gone as soon a possible but not less than one month say the last day of May. If she's paying she has till the end of May to pay up.

Look into changing the locks. If she won't pay up inform the LL you are kicking her out unless they have a better suggestion. Give her a warning that the locks will be changed on June first and her stuff will be outside the front door.

She won’t engage with us , and we have talked before and nothing changed and she’s just been ignoring us since, but definitely will try again.

That sounds like the perfect solution re the changing locks and informing the landlord and moving someone on who will pay bills. I’ve honestly never met someone who hasn’t understood this yet. Thanks for all your advice !

Can you put a password on the internet & not share it with her?

Can any of her food go missing from the fridge & end up in the said bin she won't pay for?

Yes we share a fridge , but she sees it as bullying . I should mention she pulls the race card a lot as she’s from a different country originally so we have to be careful that she can’t claim we are being racist but I have done it and undone it , that felt good maybe better lol 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Is she on any lease? If not she has no rights. Throw her out and if that means putting her stuff in a bin bag then so be it.

Change the locks with agreement with your landlord. It will be worth you paying the 100 euro odd.

Bus Wanker wrote: »
    Also change the wi fi password and don't tell her what it is. That might soften her cough.
    Not much you can do about bins or electricity

It’s been changed and she’s saying she don’t use it but she has lived here for longer than me and we always had internet and she paid it and used it and just decided without agreement from everyone to stop

She also thinks one of the guys hacked her she said something about this when I tried to talk to her one to one about the problems, that’s when I stopped trying to reason with her .

Is she on any lease? If not she has no rights. Throw her out and if that means putting her stuff in a bin bag then so be it.

Change the locks with agreement with your landlord. It will be worth you paying the 100 euro odd.

None of us have a contract if that’s what you mean , I know she tried to report him to rtb before and this was when she gave notice to leave and changed her mind last moment. I don’t know what it caused for him . But still we didn’t get a contract or any lease

Am I right in thinking we can **** her out and she has no rights as a tenant? I have 0% sympathy at this stage

messrs wrote: »
    As others have said above firstly change password on Wifi and only share with those paying. Maybe rather than everyone trying to talk to her together could just one person do it - that way she cant claim you are all ganging up on her.

Only becomes a landlords problem when she isnt paying rent - dont think he would want to get involved in the bills part

She’s paying him , it’s the only thing she is paying ! That’s what has us fecked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Lauren3142 wrote: »
    None of us have a contract if that’s what you mean , I know she tried to report him to rtb before and this was when she gave notice to leave and changed her mind last moment. I don’t know what it caused for him . But still we didn’t get a contract or any lease

Am I right in thinking we can **** her out and she has no rights as a tenant? I have 0% sympathy at this stage

Unless she is a licensee paying rent to the lead tenant, she has the same tenancy rights as any tenant, including yourself and the others sharing the property. So if she pays her rent on time, not a lot you can do to remove her.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I definitely think there are some mental health issues, sometimes she talks and laughs to herself at the start I assumed she was on the phone until she told me that she sometimes talks to herself and laughs. We all smile to ourselves and have giggles but this was something beyond that like , she seems manipulative and dangerous in that way.

Move out as soon as you can. Start looking this weekend, ie NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Mooching is not a mental illness.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Mooching is not a mental illness.

Human parasite

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Put a lock on the fridge and freezer too. If possible.

And the oven etc. You can get magnetic ones that need a key to use. Share the keys with the bill paying tenants.

Don't think the landlord would be too happy having their property damaged by putting locks on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jr1942

Dav010 wrote: »

You think the others should subsidise the other tenant?
    no I don't... just pointing out how contradictory the OP is and that I wouldn't take a word they are saying into consideration, in fact to me they look like they are the one who needs a prescription

another one in relation to topic from OP from another topic, but I guess this doesn't apply if you have a mentally ill flatmate (?) who has a "debt" of around 100 euros which somehow should be Leo Varadkars or their landlords problem (but they are not childish) and should be if you ask the op crucified for it, instead of perhaps offered a helping hand?
    humanity is just gone.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

No one should have to pay for internet in a house share, your mobile phone data should be sufficient.... Get rid of fixed broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

No one should have to pay for internet in a house share, your mobile phone data should be sufficient.... Get rid of fixed broadband.

I agree on this point. If she's not using the internet why should she pay?

OP has already said the password is changed so problem solved for that anyway.

jr1942 wrote: »
    The language you are using is even more shocking.

Plus how much can electricity and internet bill be divided by 4 people, 50 euros?
    Times what, 3 months late is 150 euros.
    At this stage id pay you 150 euros just to leave the forum so I never stumble on crap like this again.

So now you are saying she has mental issues, then you are saying she doesn't have them but is a parasite instead?

Calling her a child while at the same time you are messaging landlord about someone not paying their share of the internet bill that has nothing to do with the landlord, what's that but childish?
    What's next, you are going to message Leo Varadkar the ham you bought in Aldi didn't taste well?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

edit: ah wait, another pearl here

:confused: so you are actually pointing fingers at someone for being homophobic while at the same time you are doing the same, plus your flatmate is quote: "a mentally ill human parasite"...

Have no idea what you were up to last night but your post is just irrelevant, look at the post date from the other thread you went and found about my sexuality. That took some work I must admit , some bee in your bonnet about something .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Email the landlord again. If he/she is any good she will contact the housemate and either
    A: let her know that to stay she has to pay utilities like a normal person.
    B: Tell her to pack up and leave.

If he/she doesn’t care or steps away from the issue, then yeah, honestly, I wouldn’t bother with locks and arguments. Unless you think collectively ye can get her to pay or move out without massive hassle, start looking for somewhere else yourself.

The above posters are right in that it isn’t the landlords responsibility for utility bills. I don’t agree with it because it causes massive problems like the op but that’s the way it is. A house will have bills, the fact many landlords see having walls and a roof that can turn a profit as somehow completely separate to it actually being a home drives me mental, but ay, I’m not a landlord so what would I know.
    I have been lucky with my last two landlords (both heroes) and we came to agreements about bill names etc. I had massive issues before with housemates taking the absolute **** when it came to bills. So the bills are in ‘his name’ and payed through the rent. They are not, it just is the easiest way to let housemates know that if they don’t pay their bills on time they are out and the search for someone who can is on. When they think the bills are tied to rent and isn’t in a housemates name they just.... pay on time. It’s magical.

Advertisement