Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bills . HELP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭wandererz

OP, what excatly is her dispute with reagrds to paying the bills.

I do agree with others that if she is not using WiFi/Broadband then she is not liable. Albeit, she should have provided ample warning of withdrawing from the agreement.

What exactly is her issue with not paying the electricity bills?

Also, does she use:

1) Lights
    2) stoves, Microwaves, fridges, electric shower, irons, computer, laptops etc.
    3) Heating

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lauren3142

We don’t know what her issue is exactly she refuses to communicate, she was paying WiFi but just stopped. It’s simple to change the password and just divide it between the people who use it but we need to be able to talk about it and know what the story is

Yes she uses all amenities that use electric and she uses the bins too (another bill she hasn’t paid) we have been giving her benefit of the doubt but it’s too long now

Danonino. wrote: »
    Email the landlord again. If he/she is any good she will contact the housemate and either
    A: let her know that to stay she has to pay utilities like a normal person.
    B: Tell her to pack up and leave.

If he/she doesn’t care or steps away from the issue, then yeah, honestly, I wouldn’t bother with locks and arguments. Unless you think collectively ye can get her to pay or move out without massive hassle, start looking for somewhere else yourself.

The above posters are right in that it isn’t the landlords responsibility for utility bills. I don’t agree with it because it causes massive problems like the op but that’s the way it is. A house will have bills, the fact many landlords see having walls and a roof that can turn a profit as somehow completely separate to it actually being a home drives me mental, but ay, I’m not a landlord so what would I know.
    I have been lucky with my last two landlords (both heroes) and we came to agreements about bill names etc. I had massive issues before with housemates taking the absolute **** when it came to bills. So the bills are in ‘his name’ and payed through the rent. They are not, it just is the easiest way to let housemates know that if they don’t pay their bills on time they are out and the search for someone who can is on. When they think the bills are tied to rent and isn’t in a housemates name they just.... pay on time. It’s magical.

Thanks for the advice , I’m definitely going to ask him again even if he can mediate with her as he is the only one who she will communicate with, I was also looking through the rules of the house and paying bills is one so he might just even try help us with the issue .I just want an easy life ,I’ve been looking on daft already some battles just ain’t worth it !
    I don’t want to resort to petty behavior either , but there seems to be no solutions . Seems you can live in a house pay your rent and not pay bills , it’s annoying !!

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't think the landlord would be too happy having their property damaged by putting locks on it.

I won’t get there hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You could be dealing with someone with mental health issues, what's her general behaviour like?

Let's stop this mental health crap as an excuse for blatant bad behaviour.

Mental health is a serious issue and the use of the phrase for every minor problem does no favours to anyone.

This is simply a spoilt little b1tch who doesn't want to pay her fair share to the detriment of others.

Simply have her removed.

If she is renting from the landlord, it is the landlords issue.

If she is sub letting from someone else in the house, it is their issue.

If landlord won't do anything, the rtb might be an option.

If you want to call her, dial #31# before her number and it will bypass the block

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

jr1942 wrote: »
    no I don't... just pointing out how contradictory the OP is and that I wouldn't take a word they are saying into consideration, in fact to me they look like they are the one who needs a prescription

another one in relation to topic from OP from another topic, but I guess this doesn't apply if you have a mentally ill flatmate (?) who has a "debt" of around 100 euros which somehow should be Leo Varadkars or their landlords problem (but they are not childish) and should be if you ask the op crucified for it, instead of perhaps offered a helping hand?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Too much wine?

I don’t think there is a poster on boards who would agree to subsidise a flatmate who refuses to pay their fair share of utilities, not if it’s €100 or €10. So far there has been no indication that she can’t pay, only that she is refusing to pay and will not discuss the issue. I can’t make head nor tail of the crucifixion reference.
    Danonino. wrote: »
    A: let her know that to stay she has to pay utilities like a normal person.
    B: Tell her to pack up and leave.

Danimino, if she is a tenant and rent is being paid, I’m not sure what a LL can do to evict her, without exposing himself to an unfair eviction claim. It seems the tenant has already contacted the RTB so knows her rights. The LL will have nothing to do with this, it’s the tenants problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For people who suggest changing the wifi password, be aware that simply pressing the reset button on the router will get around that.

There's very little that can be done in this scenario bar one. Change the lock on the bathroom door, keep it locked, and only give keys to the other tenants. If the landlord isn't going to do anything then they're also not going to be bothered by that.

For people who suggest changing the wifi password, be aware that simply pressing the reset button on the router will get around that.

There's very little that can be done in this scenario bar one. Change the lock on the bathroom door, keep it locked, and only give keys to the other tenants. If the landlord isn't going to do anything then they're also not going to be bothered by that.

Jeez, you can’t lock the bathroom on a tenant paying their rent, a LL can’t even change the locks on a tenant not paying rent. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just a thought.

Does she HAVE the money? Or just enough to pay the rent?

I think you said she is from overseas? If she is desperately short of cash it would explain ( but NOT excuse) so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Dav010 wrote: »
    Jeez, you can’t lock the bathroom on a tenant paying their rent, a LL can’t even change the locks on a tenant not paying rent. The mind boggles.

correction: a Landlord can't change the bathroom lock on a tenant paying or not paying rent. Not sure what's to stop a co tenant stopping a free loader washing their arse with hot water paid for by their co tenants.

I'd be frequently turning off electricity at the box, water at the meter etc and screw the free loader.

If she asks tell her the bills weren't paid.

• Advertisement

correction: a Landlord can't change the bathroom lock on a tenant paying or not paying rent. Not sure what's to stop a co tenant stopping a free loader washing their arse with hot water paid for by their co tenants.

I'd be frequently turning off electricity at the box, water at the meter etc and screw the free loader.

If she asks tell her the bills weren't paid.

10pennymixup, if a tenant pays rent, they have a right to use the bathroom, though the tenant may be refusing to pay utilities, she is not refusing to pay rent. The only person responsible for payment of utilities is the person whose name is on the utility contract. Of course housemates tend to agree to split this bill, but that has nothing to do with the girl’s rights as a tenant, including use of the facilities in the property she is paying for. What kind of person locks the toilet and turns off the electricity/water? I’d be more worried about this person than the freeloader. Would you prefer her to relieve herself on the floor, in the dark, with no water to clean it?

10pennymixup, if a tenant pays rent, they have a right to use the bathroom, though the tenant may be refusing to pay utilities, she is not refusing to pay rent. The only person responsible liable (corrected that for you too) for payment of utilities is the person whose name is on the utility contract. Of course housemates tend to agree to split this bill, but that has nothing to do with the girl’s rights as a tenant, including use of the facilities in the property she is paying for. What kind of person locks the toilet and turns off the electricity/water? I’d be more worried about this person than the freeloader. Would you prefer her to relieve herself on the floor, in the dark, with no water to clean it?

You said you would not be happy as a co tenant to subsidise another permanently? Yet advise the OP not to take steps that might show the freeloader their errant ways. All because you believe a co tenant has to recognise the rights that must be given to a freeloader by a LL.

"What kind of person locks the toilet and turns off the electricity/water" I would suggest that would be a person that is sick off paying for another when they don't have to. A LL might have not be able to deny services to a non paying tenant, a co tenant doesn't automatically have to do the same.

In the bathroom scenario, she can go outside, If she pees inside on the floor she can be evicted. Win win for the OP.

She hasn't paid for the electricity or gas to heat the water to wash her hands (or shower) so she can pee off some where else to pee. A couple of days inconvenience on everyone else (hardship on her) to eventually get her to see the error of her ways. The freeloader can complain to the LL, but they don't seem too interested. And if she forces him to act, it's going to be a couple of days of hardship on her before anything is done never mind achieved.

If water charges were still a thing, that would reinforce my point further.

Look into your liberal playbook there and tell us all what should the OP do instead of coming up with problems instead of solutions. You've yet to categorically say a co tenant can't do this, only saying you're more worried about the type of person that would think it or do it. You're worrying about the wrong person. Worry about the OP and others in their situation.

What's your solution? Move, break a lease, find a new home in a pandemic? Take the all the bills out of the tenants names until the services get cut anyway? Stop paying your share of the bills, becoming a freeloader yourself? Send her a strongly worded letter of complaint?

I once had a co-tenant that would not go halves on a bottle of gas, the only thing we had to heat a garage conversion bedsit in college. He had used up one that had been paid for solely by me, over the Christmas holidays when I wasn't there. The ridiculous solution he offered was that he would stay in the unheated kitchenette when the Superser was on.

I made sure it was on every second I could. Three days later he handed over half the money for that bottle. I have no time for freeloaders, and as you've probably guessed no time neither for their enablers/ excusers.

You said you would not be happy as a co tenant to subsidise another permanently? Yet advise the OP not to take steps that might show the freeloader their errant ways. All because you believe a co tenant has to recognise the rights that must be given to a freeloader by a LL.

"What kind of person locks the toilet and turns off the electricity/water" I would suggest that would be a person that is sick off paying for another when they don't have to. A LL might have not be able to deny services to a non paying tenant, a co tenant doesn't automatically have to do the same.

In the bathroom scenario, she can go outside, If she pees inside on the floor she can be evicted. Win win for the OP.

She hasn't paid for the electricity or gas to heat the water to wash her hands (or shower) so she can pee off some where else to pee. A couple of days inconvenience on everyone else (hardship on her) to eventually get her to see the error of her ways. The freeloader can complain to the LL, but they don't seem too interested. And if she forces him to act, it's going to be a couple of days of hardship on her before anything is done never mind achieved.

If water charges were still a thing, that would reinforce my point further.

Look into your liberal playbook there and tell us all what should the OP do instead of coming up with problems instead of solutions. You've yet to categorically say a co tenant can't do this, only saying you're more worried about the type of person that would think it or do it. You're worrying about the wrong person. Worry about the OP and others in their situation.

What's your solution? Move, break a lease, find a new home in a pandemic? Take the all the bills out of the tenants names until the services get cut anyway? Stop paying your share of the bills, becoming a freeloader yourself? Send her a strongly worded letter of complaint?

I once had a co-tenant that would not go halves on a bottle of gas, the only thing we had to heat a garage conversion bedsit in college. He had used up one that had been paid for solely by me, over the Christmas holidays when I wasn't there. The ridiculous solution he offered was that he would stay in the unheated kitchenette when the Superser was on.

I made sure it was on every second I could. Three days later he handed over half the money for that bottle. I have no time for freeloaders, and as you've probably guessed no time neither for their enablers/ excusers.

Responsible, liable, call it what you want, it’s the problem for whoever’s name is on the contract, not the LLs.

Showing the girl the error of her ways cannot include locking the bathroom door, yes the op has to recognise her tenancy rights, there is legislation protecting her. A quick call to the LL/RTB will confirm this, and will not mean the LL will get involved in this dispute between tenants.

You want her to go outside to go to the toilet? Are you unwell? If she pisses on the floor, I’d say the LL will blame whoever locked the bathroom door, not kick the girl out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dav010 wrote:

Dav010 wrote:
    10pennymixup, if a tenant pays rent, they have a right to use the bathroom, though the tenant may be refusing to pay utilities, she is not refusing to pay rent. The only person responsible for payment of utilities is the person whose name is on the utility contract. Of course housemates tend to agree to split this bill, but that has nothing to do with the girl’s rights as a tenant, including use of the facilities in the property she is paying for. What kind of person locks the toilet and turns off the electricity/water? I’d be more worried about this person than the freeloader. Would you prefer her to relieve herself on the floor, in the dark, with no water to clean it?

They can ask one of the tenants to unlock the bathroom to use.

And when they pay for the utilities they can get access themselves.

Responsible, liable, call it what you want, it’s the problem for whoever’s name is on the contract, not the LLs.

Showing the girl the error of her ways cannot include locking the bathroom door, yes the op has to recognise her tenancy rights, there is legislation protecting her. A quick call to the LL/RTB will confirm this, and will not mean the LL will get involved in this dispute between tenants.

You want her to go outside to go to the toilet? Are you unwell? If she pisses on the floor, I’d say the LL will blame whoever locked the bathroom door, not kick the girl out.

No I am not unwell and do not wish the freeloader to use the back garden. I do not know this FL/ freeloader personally and do not wish anything for her. Someone else originally gave the example of the bathroom on which I expounded on figuratively, but more in general about the withdrawal of any unpaid for services

If in the OP's situation I would not wish her to use the backgarden either. I would wish for the FL to simply for her to pay her way and not be subsidized by me.

So from this I see deflection is your answer to being asked what you would do, rather than just naysay.

Attempts at ridicule too, especially when you suggested an earlier poster that you didn't agree with had too much wine. Not saying I agree with them though, but hardly classy.

Also I notice you didn't really answer the question about a co-tenant withdrawing utilities unpaid for, not the LL. Yes there is a modicum of legislation that says the co tenant must respect the FL's rights but play it forward for us.

Let her go to the RTB to force the LL to rectify the situation. I hope she can cross her legs long enough, figuratively speaking.

By an earlier description of the LL I'm sure he'll love the attention of RTB, (all LL's, good or bad just love hearing from them!)

If I were the LL, my first suggestion to the FL and RTB to rectify the situation is for the FL to pay her way!!

Maybe then to humour the RTB, post a notice of breach of tenancy agreement/ obligations to all the tenants (can't pick on just one after all) about the withdrawal of services, changing of locks, or whatever the gripe. A notice that requires the locks or whatever was done to be rectified. Stating that if not done by a certain time period, I'd do it at their cost/ deduction from deposit.

I probably wouldn't do this next bit, it would depend on how difficult the FL had made it for me but I might even suggest something on the QT to the other tenants. That they might have their peaceful and quiet enjoyment disturbed by me physically rectifying things and get a time and date that suits all tenants together.

Again, I hope the FL has a good bladder or that it's tiles in the hall outside the OP's bathroom. Again figuratively speaking, I could also say shower, store rubbish in her bedroom, internet blocked, cold storage of her food, light, heat etc etc. (for he that does not get it).

Not speaking figuratively, this would be disturbing behaviour.

Again, nothing constructive just deflection. You're like a little boy that conveniently can't get past the toilet humour.

What would you do?

What can the free loader effectively do if services are withdrawn by the other tenants?

Tell you what, don't bother, it'll only be the same old.

Again, nothing constructive just deflection. You're like a little boy that conveniently can't get past the toilet humour.

What would you do?

What can the free loader effectively do if services are withdrawn by the other tenants?

Tell you what, don't bother, it'll only be the same old.

I’m not deflecting, I am telling you that the behaviour you are describing would be considered disturbing by most people. You do not deny a flatmate use of a toilet, make them go outside, store rubbish in their bedroom or turn electricity/water off. She is paying to rent the property. I agree that this situation is difficult for the op, but treating the girl like an animal isn’t the answer.

If I was the op, I’d move out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Some of the recent posts are way below an acceptable standard for A & P. If it continues, cards and thread bans can be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

wandererz wrote: »
    OP, what excatly is her dispute with reagrds to paying the bills.

I do agree with others that if she is not using WiFi/Broadband then she is not liable. Albeit, she should have provided ample warning of withdrawing from the agreement.

What exactly is her issue with not paying the electricity bills?

Also, does she use:

1) Lights
    2) stoves, Microwaves, fridges, electric shower, irons, computer, laptops etc.
    3) Heating

If the place we advertised as having broadband and that bills are split. It’s Irrelevant if she actually uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The joys of shared living with strangers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The joys of shared living with strangers

Sadly, you can get similar issues when housesharing with friends. They can actually be worse, because sometimes you lose a friend as well as a housemate.

Advertisement