Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer in south Dublin

Options
  • 23-04-2021 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen wild deer around the Stillorgan/Blackrock area? My wife woke me last night to say that there was a deer outside our house. Not believing her, I looked out the window only to see a large doe walking around outside. The usual foxes were out as well. It’s not something I’ve heard of or seen before, and can’t think where she might have come from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

There is a epidemic of deer around Sandyford at the moment, they seem to be flooding downwards in search of food. They certainly like the spring flowers in the garden

Badly in need of a cull but the animal rights and activists would create mayhem. They are actually causing dangerous situations now,if you whack one on your car then they do some damage. They seem to be much more brazen recently.

Not beyond belief anymore they are in Blackrock / Stillorgan anymore. I`d imagine they are coming down through Leopardstown racecourse and on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

There was one wandering around Deansgrange a couple of years ago - I only saw it the once.
    Heard reports of it been seen in the Dun Laoghaire harbour area (not sure if it was the same deer)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Badly in need of a cull but the animal rights and activists would create mayhem.

The deer in the Phoenix Park are regularly culled by a marksman with a rifle. 120 were dispatched in the 18 months between the start of 2019 and the middle of 2020, according to the Examiner .........

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40028495.html

It does occasion the odd protest but nothing approaching 'mayhem'......

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/0109/1022273-deer-culling-phoenix-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Besides which the deer in Wicklow are regularly culled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Sarn wrote: »
    Has anyone seen wild deer around the Stillorgan/Blackrock area? My wife woke me last night to say that there was a deer outside our house. Not believing her, I looked out the window only to see a large doe walking around outside. The usual foxes were out as well. It’s not something I’ve heard of or seen before, and can’t think where she might have come from.

There's a picture floating around on WhatsApp of a deer spotted early on Tuesday morning in Merville!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The deer hunting season ended on 31st March, Deer are actively "harvested" in the western parts of the Dublin mountains. The problem with Three Rock and surrounding areas is the abundance of recreational use and the inability to close the mountain to allow a cull to take place. The explosion of the deer population in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains in general is an issue and they have a huge impact on attempts to re-establish native woodland areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The deer hunting season ended on 31st March, Deer are actively "harvested" in the western parts of the Dublin mountains. The problem with Three Rock and surrounding areas is the abundance of recreational use and the inability to close the mountain to allow a cull to take place. The explosion of the deer population in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains in general is an issue and they have a huge impact on attempts to re-establish native woodland areas.

In recent years there have been loads of deer around our golf course, don't remember seeing any in the previous 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Tabnabs wrote: »

Is there anything to be said for bringing back the wolves (half in jest)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for bringing back the wolves (half in jest)

For the 'not in jest' half of that post ......... if you introduced wolves into Ireland, it would have no effect on the deer population because they would hunt sheep and lambs which would be far easier prey. And farmers would lay poison to kill them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Luckycharm wrote: »
    In recent years there have been loads of deer around our golf course, don't remember seeing any in the previous 30 years.

We keep building in their Natural habitat. Cant blame them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement