Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Cameras with People detection - do they work?

Options
  • 23-04-2021 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

A number of Outdoor CCTV cameras claim to be able to tell the difference between human intruders, animals, birds, trees blowing in the wind etc.

I would be interested to know real experiences of whether this feature works, and which cameras are recommended? (Arlo, Ring, Reolink etc)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've the Nest IQ and Hello, they spot the difference no problem whatsoever, they also can tell the difference between different people which is surprisingly handy when the little ones friends call, saves me getting off my arse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They do alright, the Logitech Circle is another on which it works well, although that ultimately requires a subscription to allow more of these features.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Good to know this feature works, and to have a couple of recommendations for models. Thanks

If they ring the doorbell, they are human

Or bloody smart cats

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Clareman wrote: »
    I've the Nest IQ and Hello, they spot the difference no problem whatsoever, they also can tell the difference between different people which is surprisingly handy when the little ones friends call, saves me getting off my arse :D

For our Nest hello, we have our An Post and DPD guys saved so when they ring the doorbell it says 'An Post is at the door' lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For our Nest hello, we have our An Post and DPD guys saved so when they ring the doorbell it says 'An Post is at the door' lol

We've the same setup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Have a eufycam from Anker ourselves, have never got a false alert but can't be sure it hasn't missed anything

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

great to get the recommendations!

when you say Nest IQ and Hello, do you mean Nest Hello doorbell + Nest Cam IQ Outdoor?
    It seems we'll have to pay for a 5 euros monthly subscription to get the facial recognition, right?

- https://store.google.com/ie/product/nest_hello_doorbell?hl=en-GB
    - https://store.google.com/ie/product/nest_cam_iq_outdoor?hl=en-GB

how did you decide where you wanna place the doorbell vs the cam? :)

brio09 wrote: »
    great to get the recommendations!

when you say Nest IQ and Hello, do you mean Nest Hello doorbell + Nest Cam IQ Outdoor?
    It seems we'll have to pay for a 5 euros monthly subscription to get the facial recognition, right?

- https://store.google.com/ie/product/nest_hello_doorbell?hl=en-GB
    - https://store.google.com/ie/product/nest_cam_iq_outdoor?hl=en-GB

how did you decide where you wanna place the doorbell vs the cam? :)

I got the annual subscription last year for €100, I got a free month as well, as I've 3 Nest cameras it works out well for me, that's 60 days of events and 10 days of 24/7, as someone who has had CCTV in the past the €100 is a bargain to me as I don't have to worry about replacing the hard drive or the power going to the drive.

In regards to placement, the Nest Hello was an easy decision, I installed it where the original doorbell was :D I've the Outdoor IQ setup by the back door, I ran the cable out the vent for the dryer so it was a nice and handy job, as it's at the corner of the house I was able to angle it so I can see all of the back of the house without capturing the neighbours. I have the Hub Max as well, I've that on the window in the kitchen, mainly because that's the handiest place for it but there's also the added bonus of capturing most of the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

I got the annual subscription last year for €100, I got a free month as well, as I've 3 Nest cameras it works out well for me, that's 60 days of events and 10 days of 24/7, as someone who has had CCTV in the past the €100 is a bargain to me as I don't have to worry about replacing the hard drive or the power going to the drive.

In regards to placement, the Nest Hello was an easy decision, I installed it where the original doorbell was :D I've the Outdoor IQ setup by the back door, I ran the cable out the vent for the dryer so it was a nice and handy job, as it's at the corner of the house I was able to angle it so I can see all of the back of the house without capturing the neighbours. I have the Hub Max as well, I've that on the window in the kitchen, mainly because that's the handiest place for it but there's also the added bonus of capturing most of the kitchen.

thanks! ah i see the comparison of this cost vs that. since i've never had CCTVs in the past, i compare it vs the 0 running cost of other smart electronics. i see what you mean.

ah i see - i was wondering whether you had to use the outdoor iq on the front as well.

btw, where did you buy from? on google store Outdoor as well as Outdoor IQ are both out of stock. wondering if you bought from there (probably some time ago) or there are other good retailers for it?

• Advertisement

brio09 wrote: »
    thanks! ah i see the comparison of this cost vs that. since i've never had CCTVs in the past, i compare it vs the 0 running cost of other smart electronics. i see what you mean.

ah i see - i was wondering whether you had to use the outdoor iq on the front as well.

btw, where did you buy from? on google store Outdoor as well as Outdoor IQ are both out of stock. wondering if you bought from there (probably some time ago) or there are other good retailers for it?

I got them direct from Google just over a year ago, I got some of the stuff from Google UK and some from Ireland, parvel motel was a great option back then. I had a problem a couple of months ago following a browning of the electricity to the house, it took out the Nest Hello, I had a replacement 3 days later, Google's support is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

One thing from my experience with the Nest IQ outdoor and Nest doorbell:

Yes, they do spot people and alert you, but you need to be in front of the camera for quite a while. If someone comes up to my door, and pauses for 3 or 4 seconds, and then presses the doorbell, it will tell me who it is, but if they just come up and immediately press, then a generic "Someone is at the front door" is announced.

I'm guessing the face detection is done in the cloud and takes some seconds to identify people.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

quiggs1000 wrote: »
    One thing from my experience with the Nest IQ outdoor and Nest doorbell:

Yes, they do spot people and alert you, but you need to be in front of the camera for quite a while. If someone comes up to my door, and pauses for 3 or 4 seconds, and then presses the doorbell, it will tell me who it is, but if they just come up and immediately press, then a generic "Someone is at the front door" is announced.

I'm guessing the face detection is done in the cloud and takes some seconds to identify people.

Personally, I'm not that interested in individual face-detection. I think it is a bit of a gimmick, although perhaps useful to some. However, I am interested in accurate filtering of movements from trees, birds, animals vs humans. I would also like this to happen at a distance of up to 10m, day or night, and not just when someone is peering into the doorbell. Obviously the faster the processing works, the better. Maybe this is asking too much? A lot of the experience seems to be with doorbell face detection?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭dodzy

Alkers wrote: »
    Have a eufycam from Anker ourselves, have never got a false alert but can't be sure it hasn't missed anything

Yeah, they definitely miss stuff.

Advertisement