Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood stain on smooth wood

Options
  • 23-04-2021 11:17am

Hi all,

I bought a tub of Ronseal onecoat FenceLife for a fence. The fence is made of planed timber that I had spare.

Went to apply it and it says, " you can't use this on any smooth planed wood, decking or garden furniture. This is really important. If you do try to use it on smooth planed wood it won't dry properly and may wash off"

Is this a load of Horlicks or what?

I bought it without noticing that warning btw.

This was 8 or 9 quid for 5 litres. Stuff for stained wood seems to be 50 quid for 2.5litres!

I put some on a sample piece 2 hours ago and it dried grand. Will it fade over time? Is that the worry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Went to apply it and it says, " you can't use this on any smooth planed wood, decking or garden furniture. This is really important. If you do try to use it on smooth planed wood it won't dry properly and may wash off"

Is this a load of Horlicks or what?

Sounds like it's Ronseal's version of this advice from Cuprinol:
    Ducksback/Less Mess/Sprayable is not deep penetrating but very much relies on the timber texture for adhesion. For this reason it is recommended for rough sawn timber only. If the construction contains smooth timber components, or has lost texture through weathering then adhesion performance will be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You need Ronseal Fencelife PLUS for rough sawn and smooth wood.

Advertisement