Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Exam Religion

Options
  • 23-04-2021 11:18am
    Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I'm interested n talking to people who do non-exam ReligiousEducation in your school. Just to discuss how it operates and what you teach.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Nobody!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

We do it but I don’t teach it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You are looking to speak with Religion teachers?
    Perhaps if you are a bit more clear on what you want to ask you might get some replies.

Not sure if this is still current but this is the sort of thing was covered some years ago at second level in Catholic schools:
    https://www.teachdontpreach.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Guidelines-for-the-Faith-Formation-and-Development-of-Catholic-.pdf

I presume other denominations have/had similar.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

RealJohn wrote: »
    We do it but I don’t teach it.

Just curious If they do much liturgical stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Bobtheman wrote: »

That would be an ecumenical matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

I teach it at junior and senior cycle.

In senior cycle we do topics like 'what is religion', world religions, the search for meaning, morality/ethics, issues like euthanasia, addiction etc. There is also a section on Christianity and the bible as we are a Catholic school. Plenty of JC topics but in greater depth and with a lot more freedom. Meditation and mindfulness too. I have been known to play fast and loose with the scheme, though, and veer into philosophy and spirituality a lot of the time.. I find this gets better engagement, and I like to challenge them ;)

In junior cycle we pretty much follow the exam syllabus, or specification as it is nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Well, I’m afraid I don’t know. I would guess not, since we’re multi-denominational school but I have no idea, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

In my place it is totally at the discretion of the teacher. One very devout chap does a lot of liturgy. Another music teacher just has chats and goes for walks. And another English and religion teacher ( the only TC accredited religion teacher we have) believes that every aspect of religious education is covered by simpsons episodes. My own kids in another school did exam religion and it seemed like a reasonably worthwhile course.

Advertisement