Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone TV

• 23-04-2021 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Just wondering anyone that has Vodafone TV are there radio channels on it. Some places say yes and some say no.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Mine has the RTE radio channels and I think today FM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Just wondering anyone that has Vodafone TV are there radio channels on it. Some places say yes and some say no.

Yep, several RTÉ channels, Newstalk and Today FM

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Given that Vodafone launched their tv box in Ireland in 2016 and other markets such as Vodafone Germany changing their box to Apple TV and other countries going with a sleek new design. Do we think Ireland will make the jump and upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭raddo

Just wondering if anyone has opinions on the Vodafone TV service?
    I have been offered it as an add on to my existing SIRO broadband service free for a year.
    I understand that most of the channels are free to air but recording, catchup and restart might be handy
    Any information would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 30 comuirch

I was upsold this when i signed up to Vodafone broadband 10 months ago. It's nowhere near as good as Sky TV interface, but infinitely better than virgin tv, but to be fair it's actually grand as long as you're only paying a tenner a month for it. It has a few handy features like restarting the current show from the start, and a few other tricks. One annoyance (for me anyways) was that the TV box has to be hard wired to the router. In our house given where the phone line enters the house, that meant running a big thick ugly cable through a few rooms to where the TV is, and the guy they had installing it was a total novice and the wiring was hanging off the walls.

Bottom line, the TV service is OK, but i'll definitely not keep it up when it goes to full price.

• Advertisement

comuirch wrote: »
    One annoyance (for me anyways) was that the TV box has to be hard wired to the router.

That would be a big issue for me. There's no way to run the cable from the router to the tv.
    Could they not use TP Links etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

raddo wrote: »
    That would be a big issue for me. There's no way to run the cable from the router to the tv.
    Could they not use TP Links etc?

I think it's down to lack of VLAN support in consumer gear. They are cutting down on customer support cost that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I know several people running Vodafone TV through powerline adapters without any issues. They don't technically support the powerline adapters as its not their kit ( which is normal), but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 comuirch

The installer was adamant anyways. He said the main box had to be wired, but that any extra boxes didn't. We were only getting a main box so he ran the wire. Would have saved himself a lot of hassle if he was able to just do it over wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Another way around the running of cable from the router to the main box is demand a multiroom box ( for free ), put the main box alongside the router and then the multiroom box can go to the TV, it works wirelessly from the main box and the multiroom box does everything the main box does.

• Advertisement

I got my Vodafone tv and multiroom installed over a month ago now. My router for SIRO is inside my front door and the main tv box is in the living room connected via a power plug. The multiroom box whilst wireless in the kitchen does have an extra module plugged into the main router in the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Butson

How much are you paying for this do you mind me asking?

55 a month for the tv, broadband and multiroom box.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Butson

Cheers.

Have the Sky Sports for €1 p/m offer. Great value obviously but the picture is pretty crap - very Standard Definition.

Just signed up for this today. Can anyone recommend suitable power plugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I have had vodafone TV now for six months. Live TV fine but the catchup and restart service just stops and freezes every few seconds. Unusable. They replaced the router and TV box but still happening. Engineer recoons network issue at vodafone end. I have a FTTH connection with 960Mb solid connection (very happy with this service). Vodafone not offering any solutions for TV though. Anyone else have this ? I have had Sky Q before and it was a perfect service but just too expensive. Thinking of cancelling the Vodafone TV and go with Free to air stuff.

ps. for others contemplating signing up,I took the Sky Sports offer for 1 euro a month offer. The quality is pants though, so I cancelled it and use Now TV instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Djcon

I am with virgin, the big bundle 250mb tv and home phone at just under 100 a month with one multi room box. It seem really expensive. My contract ends in October. I have been offered Vodafone 500mb. tv and phone for 55 a month by a door to door rep. He advised i could enter a new contract after 12 months at the same price, which i was a bit dubious about as it says 95pm thereafter on camparison sites. Has anyone had this package at a good price for more than a year?

I am not fussed about the supposed bells and whistles of the 360 box, with two elderly people in the house simpler is better technologywise. however I would like to know can Vodafone box record more than one channel at a time.?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've had Vodafone TV now for a few months (came with Fibre to the home broadband), and haven't really being using it, but want to start using it (paying Sky €65pm for just basic channels/multiroom is bloody scandalous), and also get an additional box for our bedroom..

How much extra will the 2nd Vodafone box cost me? Currently paying €50pm for Internet, phone & TV (for the first 12 months anyway). I dont mind the Vodafone TV interface... and if it saves me in or around €60pm from Sky, then I'll happily live with it.... (only really watch the News, Film4 & Cartoon Network anyway!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭donal.hunt

A multi-room box costs "€10/month + a one-off €99 install fee" based on the conversation I had tonight. You could probably haggle that down though.

I was flicking through the TV guide this evening and noticed that Vodafone have added HD to a lot of the channels that where previous just standard. Including Sky News and the Channel 4 family of channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭butwhynot

Are they native HD or upscaled? Only the UK versions of Channel 4/E4/More4 are in HD, I presume they're using the UK versions.

A lot of the Discovery channels (DMAX, Really, Quest Red, ID) seem to be SD only. I’d be shocked if Vodafone HD versions before Sky Glass

Post edited by butwhynot on

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

It has a bad list of channels as the entertainment section has 33 channels and only 11 are pay channels the other are free.

Just looking now and the guide has HD symbol beside programmes on ID, TURBO, SCI, DISCOVERY, QUST RED, DMAX, SKY NEWS

I know they are behind with their selection but for 5euro a month I'm paying for it Im not complaining. NOW tv for the entertainment channels discounted for 12 months to 7.50 so happy. I would have assumed by now Vodafone would have upgraded the service, box and app which are very much dated at this stage compared to competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I have an offer to upgrade from part Fiber 100mbs to fibre to home 500mbs for the same price I am currently on.

But they are charging €50 for the installation, which is normally free to new customers (I am in a large estate with access to fibre onlong side the road).

So my options are:-

1) Stay as I am on 100mbs/€30PM until next April and then relook again.

2) Broadband only 500mbps/30pm + €50 installation 12 months, then €60 (Out of contract).

3) Broadband and TV 500mps/40pm + Free installation 12 months, then 90 (Out of contract).

I already have saorview and could get the free sat back up running if needed.

Also currently using Disney+ steaming and time to time Amazon Prime.

Also thinking of upgrading TV to 4K OLED at black Friday, so looking on opinions if the VF TV is worth it for the 12months?

Has anyone experience in getting the €50 installation removed for such an upgrade offer?

Can you confirm that Channel 4 is now in HD on Vodafone TV ?

I think what they have done is upscaled the programmes or something. When you click through the programmes have the HD logo beside them and I noticed on programmes that I have recorded from C4 this HD logo isn't there so assuming they have updated/upgraded since Wednesday.

Ok, thanks for the info. When watching CH4 HD on satellite, it has 4HD as the on screen dog on the top left corner of the screen. The Irish version of CH4 with Irish adverts isn't available in HD anywhere, so I'm guessing Vodafone have upscaled the Irish version to something better than standard definition. I doubt that CH4 would allow them to replace the Irish version with the UK HD version with UK adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭dubmick

just looking at CH4 here now and the ads are UK. Well there was one for the NHS.

SkySports saying HD but definitely not seeing that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm going to move my TV to the other side of the room, but will leave the Modem in place where it is, so need to get a longer ethernet cable to run to the TV box.

Will Cat5e do, or would I need a Cat6 cable?

Advertisement