Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie sites shipping from Uk

Options
  • 23-04-2021 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Sorry to start a new thread on this and has maybe been covered before, I couldn't find anything with a search!

Anyway, websites ending in a .ie and actually shipping from the UK, just bought some things and got an email about a duty charge with dpd. I had to go back and check the fine print on the site to read they were being shipped from UK, vat was charged at checkout but now I'm guessing that was UK vat. Is this the standard now, maybe naively thought an IE site was going to be shipping or at least vat registered here :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There was a lot of warnings in the media about this in January when UK left EU. Just because a site is .ie does not mean it is shipping from Ireland .

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/buyer-beware-how-online-shoppers-can-avoid-a-brexit-bum-deal-40022292.html

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gamergurll

Thanks for the link what a headache, wish I had seen it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭VanHalen

It's got to the stage that I always check in the "Contact Us" or "About us" section of the website to see their address - there's so many UK sites running a .ie address also and are blissfully unaware that the situation has changed as a result of Brexit. One clue is when you see the item in your basket, if the item is broken down into net plus VAT, the VAT should be based on our rate ie. 23%. If it shows considerably less then they are charging UK VAT and you are paying this and will end up paying Irish VAT plus duty when the product lands here.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Gamergurll wrote: »
    Sorry to start a new thread on this and has maybe been covered before, I couldn't find anything with a search!

Anyway, websites ending in a .ie and actually shipping from the UK, just bought some things and got an email about a duty charge with dpd. I had to go back and check the fine print on the site to read they were being shipped from UK, vat was charged at checkout but now I'm guessing that was UK vat. Is this the standard now, maybe naively thought an IE site was going to be shipping or at least vat registered here :/

website ending in a .ie should make you aware of additional charges and procedure. You can refuse to accept and ask for a refund however contact the company and see what they have to say.

In other hand UK based company shouldn't charge you UK VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Check the VAT rate as many companies in the UK have hopeless staff who still think Ireland is part of the UK and may not have put proper customs paperwork with it.

If its got a .ie then it should be aware of things and have a system in place that the vat is all paid.

Maybe name the company and it can be checked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

markmoto wrote: »
    . You can refuse to accept and ask for a refund.

Not sure you can do that now with items shipped from UK, they are no longer governed by EU distance selling legislation.

Advertisement