Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and Irish politics.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭jmcc

Seems that parties other than SF have problems with GDPR and privacy:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40273802.html

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

jmcc wrote: »
    Seems that parties other than SF have problems with GDPR and privacy:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40273802.html

Regards...jmcc

I well believe it. Most companies do, its not exclusive to politics or SF.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I well believe it. Most companies do, its not exclusive to politics or SF.
    Yep. The incessant whining from the Sindo/Indo about SF's database has unintentionally landed most of the political parties in the crap over GDPR and data privacy. The parties all have to explain their online activities to the Oireachtas Housing Committee. FG (and others) have been rushing to fix issues with their websites and those of their reps. The GDPR is legislation from people with a 16th century mindset trying to legislate for a 21st century problem. The DPC not having enough staff has limited the number of cases and investigations it can run.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Yep. The incessant whining from the Sindo/Indo about SF's database has unintentionally landed most of the political parties in the crap over GDPR and data privacy. The parties all have to explain their online activities to the Oireachtas Housing Committee. FG (and others) have been rushing to fix issues with their websites and those of their reps. The GDPR is legislation from people with a 16th century mindset trying to legislate for a 21st century problem. The DPC not having enough staff has limited the number of cases and investigations it can run.

Regards...jmcc
    I would not be surprised if it turns out that the DPC's budget etc is small so that we can look after all the multinational and tech companies based in Ireland.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if it turns out that the DPC's budget etc is small so that we can look after all the multinational and tech companies based in Ireland.
    You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Now that nearly all parties have issue the focus should turn on how the DPC is resourced and what the hell they have been doing to miss something so widescale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Regards...jmcc
    part of the reason all those FG TD’s personal websites went offline in the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I would have thought that the onus was on the political parties to ensure that they were in compliance before embarking on these projects.

elperello wrote: »
    I would have thought that the onus was on the political parties to ensure that they were in compliance before embarking on these projects.

The 'onus' is on people to pay tax, but you can be damn sure there are people proactively checking that you are.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    part of the reason all those FG TD’s personal websites went offline in the last few days.
    Yep. Some of them might also have been hosted outside the EU.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Now that nearly all parties have issue the focus should turn on how the DPC is resourced and what the hell they have been doing to miss something so widescale.

It wont. A few political parties not understanding how GDPR works is a very small issue on the grand scale. Its not a serious matter

It wont. A few political parties not understanding how GDPR works is a very small issue on the grand scale. Its not a serious matter

It begs the question, what else, more serious, is being missed for lack of resources/competence?

It begs the question, what else, more serious, is being missed for lack of resources/competence?

What are you talking about? They didn't miss anything. You dont understand how the DPC is meant to work or how GDPR works.

Nothing necessarily unlawful appears to have occured.

What are you talking about? They didn't miss anything. You dont understand how the DPC is meant to work or how GDPR works.

Nothing necessarily unlawful appears to have occured.

The DPC by their own website or mission statement is meant to be 'monitoring and enforcing compliance'.

Very passive monitoring and enforcement would you not agree?

The 'onus' is on people to pay tax, but you can be damn sure there are people proactively checking that you are.

Agreed but as they are seeking a mandate to become lawmakers I think we should hold political parties to a higher standard than individual members of the public.

Once a decision is taken to carry out an exercise with GDPR implications a due diligence procedure should be automatic.

elperello wrote: »
    Agreed but as they are seeking a mandate to become lawmakers I think we should hold political parties to a higher standard than individual members of the public.

Once a decision is taken to carry out an exercise with GDPR implications a due diligence procedure should be automatic.

And with the best will in the world companies and political parties get it wrong...like people get tax returns wrong.
    The point being - once again a state agency tasked with safeguarding us has been under resourced/powered and we are the victims.

The DPC by their own website or mission statement is meant to be 'monitoring and enforcing compliance'.

Very passive monitoring and enforcement would you not agree?

No. I wouldnt agree. They can only monitor what brought to their atttention and only investigate with good cause.

Issues where brought to their attention, they have started to investigate. Youre just being unreasonable.

And with the best will in the world companies and political parties get it wrong...like people get tax returns wrong.
    The point being - once again a state agency tasked with safeguarding us has been under resourced/powered and we are the victims.

How are you a victim? Where your rights infringed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Overheal wrote: »
    given that it's likely if you're a voter or whatever you're including and the database, and I would think you have some kind of Freedom of Information law, couldn't you request a copy of data personally tied to you and see how it looks and whats in it?

FoI relates to government departments. However, you can write to any organisation that you believe might be holding data on you and ask to see it - you just have to write them an email and ask (they will probably ask you to confirm your identity) - https://gdpr-info.eu/art-15-gdpr/

Why are you trying to shift the blame away from SF, and on to the DPC? If the DPC had 10,000 employees, they still would not be able to comb through all the hundreds of millions of databases in existence, looking for breaches.

The structures of political parties and companies are similar and they are obliged to comply with all relevant legislation in their activities.

It might go something like this, 1- Decision by board 2- Sub Committee to pursue objective 3- Action taken by staff reporting to CEO.

All along the chain of command ensuring compliance with all existing legislation is a given in any well run enterprise.

• Advertisement

El Tarangu wrote: »
    FoI relates to government departments. However, you can write to any organisation that you believe might be holding data on you and ask to see it - you just have to write them an email and ask (they will probably ask you to confirm your identity) - https://gdpr-info.eu/art-15-gdpr/

Why are you trying to shift the blame away from SF, and on to the DPC? If the DPC had 10,000 employees, they still would not be able to comb through all the hundreds of millions of databases in existence, looking for breaches.

That is just excuse making...it seems all parties are not compliant.
    I'd call that gross incompetence if I was running a monitoring and enforcement agency.

That is just excuse making...it seems all parties are not compliant.
    I'd call that gross incompetence if I was running a monitoring and enforcement agency.

Its not. You just dont understand how it works.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Michael Martin's website is offline Which is ironic as he is quoted in Philip Ryan's latest article on ABU.

Its not. You just dont understand how it works.

It ain't working as a 'monitoring and enforcement' agency if all parties are not compliant no matter how you spin it.

If GDPR compliance is an issue I wonder what else they are not compliant with?

It ain't working as a 'monitoring and enforcement' agency if all parties are not compliant no matter how you spin it.

An issue was brought to the DPCs attention and they are investigating.

What more do you want?

You just dont understand what your talking about and clearly have an agenda against the DPC. Why, I dunno?

An issue was brought to the DPCs attention and they are investigating.

What more do you want?

You just dont understand what your talking about and clearly have an agenda against the DPC. Why, I dunno?

We should be depending on the 'monitoring' agency not jornalists.
    Do you understand what 'monitor' means?

If GDPR compliance is an issue I wonder what else they are not compliant with?

Hard to tell. Many companies arent fully aware of their responsibilities and obligations.

However, just because an organisation isnt aware of their obligations doesn't mean anything unlawful occurred or any data breaches occurred.

Like not having a data protection officer may not result in any people being affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,284 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Michael Martin's website is offline Which is ironic as he is quoted in Philip Ryan's latest article on ABU.

When was it last online?

Looks like the same site as 2019

https://web.archive.org/web/20190904165935/http://michealmartin.ie/

• Advertisement

We should be depending on the 'monitoring' agency not jornalists.
    Do you understand what 'monitor' means?

You are being intentionally unreasonable to suit your narrative.

DPC is a small orgainstion.

It cant inspect every database containing data in every organisation on Ireland at the same time. Think about how many organisations are in the country. Think about it.

It is impossible.

You have ridiculously unrealistic expectations. You need to get back to reality.

Advertisement