Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and Irish politics.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

beakerjoe wrote: »
    You are being intentionally unreasonable to suit your narrative.

DPC is a small orgainstion.

It cant inspect every database containing data in every organisation on Ireland at the same time. Think about how many organisations are in the country. Think about it.

It is impossible.

You have ridiculously unrealistic expectations. You need to get back to reality.

I asked a question. You seem upset about that.

What is the point of an agency if it isnt resourced to do it's job?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I asked a question. You seem upset about that.

What is the point of an agency if it isnt resourced to do it's job?

What did the DPC do to you? Not take your complaint seriously?

Answer me this, how should they monitor every database in the country simultaneously?

What did the DPC do to you? Not take your complaint seriously?

Answer me this, how should they monitor every database in the country simultaneously?

Answer mine first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

You are being intentionally unreasonable to suit your narrative.

DPC is a small orgainstion.

It cant inspect every database containing data in every organisation on Ireland at the same time. Think about how many organisations are in the country. Think about it.

It is impossible.

You have ridiculously unrealistic expectations. You need to get back to reality.
    There are more "secret" databases? :) Has anyone told Philip Ryan and the Sindo yet?

Seriously though, it would be extremely difficult for the DPC to check every database but it is databases containing personally identifying data that seem to be the focus of GDPR and data privacy. The DPC just does not have the technological abilities and businesses often don't understand GDPR.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

We should be depending on the 'monitoring' agency not jornalists.
    Do you understand what 'monitor' means?

This is what the DPC does:
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/who-we-are/what-we-do
    There is no mention there of monitoring.

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    There are more "secret" databases? :) Has anyone told Philip Ryan and the Sindo yet?

Seriously though, it would be extremely difficult for the DPC to check every database but it is databases containing personally identifying data that seem to be the focus of GDPR and data privacy. The DPC just does not have the technological abilities and businesses often don't understand GDPR.

Regards...jmcc

I agree most businesses dont understand GDPR, I'd agrue that most are over cautious in relation to data protection so not to fall foul of it more than anything. GDPR isnt difficult, most just dont take it seriously until the fall foul of it.

cee_jay wrote: »

They deal with guidence and complaints mostly from what Im aware of. Ive had to use them once because of an access issue, once they got involved the issue resolved itself. The issue stemed from a company not understanding GDPR rather than anything sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

They deal with guidence and complaints mostly from what Im aware of. Ive had to use them once because of an access issue, once they got involved the issue resolved itself. The issue stemed from a company not understanding GDPR rather than anything sinister.
    Glad to see SF got it sorted so.;)

Same site
    The Data Protection Commission (DPC) is the national independent authority in Ireland responsible for upholding the fundamental right of individuals in the European Union (EU) to have their personal data protected. Accordingly, the DPC is the Irish supervisory authority responsible for monitoring the application of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and we also have functions and powers related to other regulatory frameworks, including the Irish ePrivacy Regulations (2011) and the EU Directive known as the Law Enforcement Directive (LED).

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Glad to see SF got it sorted so.;)

Well its unclear if anythings sorted yet. Issues were idnetified and being looked at. Id say most likely outcome is that the DPC will make recommendations to SF going forward. I doubt anything really sinster or unlawful happened here or with any other political party.

Now that may change depending on how Maria Baileys case develops.

• Advertisement

Same site
    It, as with most things on the Internet, a problem about the difference between detection and reporting. If the DPC was to base its work on detection, it would be actively checking sites and businesses that use personal data. It works on detection in that, for most cases, a complaint has to be made or a breach has to be made public. It might be possible to monitor websites in Ireland but given that Amazon and Microsoft and others have datacentres in Ireland the Irish website footprint is quite high and well beyond any manual attempt to monitor all these sites.

Regards...jmcc

Same site

Monitor the appliaction of GDPR , not monitor databases. Too different things.

Monitor the appliaction of GDPR , not monitor databases. Too different things.

And with all parties not compliant...how are they getting on with that?

I said nothing about 'monitoring databases' by the way. Not sure hen you threw that into the mix.

Same site

Monitoring the application of GDPR is completely different to monitoring companies for what personal data they have on their databases at any one time.
    If you seriously think the DPC should have the reunited resources to monitor every single company and it's databases all the time, how would this be funded? The resources required to this would be impossible.

I said nothing about 'monitoring databases' by the way. Not sure hen you threw that into the mix.

They havent complied with their obligations, but unless Im unaware of anything, so far its very minor stuff. No data appears to have been unlawfully used or disclosed.

Nothing crazy has happened yet. So, no need to be alarmed yet.

But you did?
    'Do you have a database?' 'Can you tell us the following....'

Proactive. Not hard work is it?
    Give them powers if they dont have them, accept the world is changing and things are going to become digiral. Strikes me the lax reactive environment suited everyone.

They havent complied with their obligations, but unless Im unaware of anything, so far its very minor stuff. No data appears to have been unlawfully used or disclosed.

Nothing crazy has happened yet. So, no need to be alarmed yet.

So you are off the 'shut the stable door only after the horse has bolted' school, exactly what is wrong across state agencies. Reactive rather than proactive, even when your brief is to monitor compliance.

But you did?

Asking questions about the database...slightly different to examining it. Get organisations to state they are compliant then if they aren't they cannot say they didn't know or winkle out of responsibility.

So you are off the 'shut the stable door only after the horse has bolted' school, exactly what is wrong across state agencies. Reactive rather than proactive, even when your brief is to monitor compliance.

Im not, but its the way it is. The method of neing proactive, while having good intentions , is simply nit not realistic.

As it stands, nothing SF or any political party has done appears to be agaisnt the law.

No ones data was breached or processed unlawfully at this time. So the horse hasnt bolted yet it seems.

Asking questions about the database...slightly different to examining it. Get organisations to state they are compliant then if they aren't they cannot say they didn't know or winkle out of responsibility.

Theyd have no reason to ask questions until it was highlighted in the media.

No cause for concern until the article.

If they arent compliant and any individuals are affected, then they assess the risk and see what rights have been infinged.

Its not difficult really.

Most information realted to political parties on these data bases may contain information already publically availabke anyway.

• Advertisement

Im not, but its the way it is. The method of neing proactive, while having good intentions , is simply nit not realistic.

As it stands, nothing SF or any political party has done appears to be agaisnt the law.

No ones data was breached or processed unlawfully at this time. So the horse hasnt bolted yet it seems.

Well my opinion is, even though you disallow it, is that all parties should be questioned on this but a review of what the DPC has been doing is timely too. If we value horses at all that is. If not, leave the door open and save ourselves spending any money/resources at all.

Well my opinion is, even though you disallow it, is that all parties should be questioned on this but a review of what the DPC has been doing is timely too. If we value horses at all that is. If not, leave the door open and save ourselves spending any money/resources at all.

But they are investigating SF. And Im sure it will end with recommendations on how to use data within GDPR.

Nothing sinister appears to have happened here.... at least not yet. So relax.

They were going to post the results on their websites. Oops. :)

Regards...jmcc

But they are investigating SF. And Im sure it will end with recommendations on how to use data within GDPR.

Nothing sinister appears to have happened here.... at least not yet. So relax.

Not sure why you are so anxious to protect the DPC from scrutiny. But anyway.

Not sure why you are so anxious to protect the DPC from scrutiny. But anyway.

Just being realistic dude.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

beakerjoe, FrancieBrady, try to stop the nitpicking and discuss the topic

Interesting thread. Just wondering ... does Boards have a DPC? If so, how would one raise a query with them?

Mr Hoppy wrote: »
    Interesting thread. Just wondering ... does Boards have a DPC? If so, how would one raise a query with them?

I had a very satisfactory interaction with boards.ie on a DP issue. Think I went through admin@boards.ie if memory serves.

I had a very satisfactory interaction with boards.ie on a DP issue. Think I went through admin@boards.ie if memory serves.

Cool. Looking forward to it :D

• Advertisement

Mr Hoppy wrote: »

All right there:
    https://www.boards.ie/content/privacy

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement