Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criteria for setting up a bank account at The Bank of Ireland

Options
  • 23-04-2021 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I just learned that in order to apply for a mortgage in Ireland it would be necessary to have set up an account in Ireland at least six months before applying for the mortgage. I have a few questions regarding the timing and amount of the initial account set up.

(1) We are applying for dual citizenship. My spouse will most likely be granted citizenship by December 2022 at the latest. I would have to live in Ireland for three years before I can apply. Given this scenario, do we have to wait until December 2022 before we can set up a bank account in Ireland?
    (2) If not, can we set up an account now or in the near future? Is there a minimum amount required in euros?
    (3) And, is it possible to be "pre-approved" for a mortgage in Ireland?

Thank you,

Arthur

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

A non-resident account can be opened if there is a source of income from Ireland, such as a Pension or Inheritance.

If a non-resident account does not apply to you, you can get in touch with our Coming to Ireland Team who can begin the process of opening an account prior to relocating to Ireland. I have attached a link below with more information on this and how to apply.

After a successful Mortgage Application, you will receive an Approval in Principle. This means your loan is approved and you can go house-shopping confident that your finance is in place. This approval generally lasts for 6 months.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Aisling

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/coming-to-ireland/

Advertisement