Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate socks!

Options
  • 23-04-2021 6:14pm

That’s it - I hate socks! How can there be so many socks and so few matching pairs!?!? I’m considering scrapping them all and assigning each child a plain colour so there’s always a match to be found and is clear which socks are whose.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Or adopt my 5 year old's attitude to life - she just picks the first 2 socks she finds out of the drawer every morning....and give up caring like me. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My daughter has Sensory Processing Disorder so she doesn't wear socks, one less thing to worry about in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

For the love of God does anybody know where they go? And yes I know they go on your feet but I have at least 30 odd socks at home in our house. No idea where the matches are?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

There's a black hole.Or a sock fairy.
    The biggest mystery was when we only had one child, yet so many mismatched and single socks....why??
    God knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Absolute pain in the hole.....!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

cuddle wrote: »
    That’s it - I hate socks! How can there be so many socks and so few matching pairs!?!? I’m considering scrapping them all and assigning each child a plain colour so there’s always a match to be found and is clear which socks are whose.

I thought is a trend to wear different colors?

551141.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I have a special ‘odd socks’ basket, I fire them all in and every so often you’ll finally strike a lucky match!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

I have a special ‘odd socks’ basket, I fire them all in and every so often you’ll finally strike a lucky match!

I've tried this. Pile just keeps getting bigger. I absolutely can't figure it out. People will say that they get sucked into the washing machine filter but that's bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I don't mind socks usually, but baby socks are a pain, they never stay on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

shesty wrote: »
    Or adopt my 5 year old's attitude to life - she just picks the first 2 socks she finds out of the drawer every morning....and give up caring like me. :-)

I think this is the true way forward. She's an intuitivel genius!!
    I wasn't 'normal shops to start selling odd socks, where you just get a pack of 10-20 sticks which are all different and could just be worn together.

There's a fancy od sokk company, but I haven't resorted to paying their high prices yet and some nonsensical ul conditioning prevents me from just doing away with pairing and dropping all my socks in the drawer loose for random selection each morning.
    Maybe I'll go through and their away one of each pair, but pretty sure my wife will think I've finally lost it.

Thankfully the kids aren't as weird as me yet and are ok with socks mostly.

• Advertisement

I wonder if you took an old washing machine apart would there be a load of old socks in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

When my son turned two, I got rid of all the odds and bought 14 pairs of navy socks! It sorted so much hassle. He is 3.5 now and chooses his own socks every day so it makes me less guilty about the fact they don't match. I haven't worn matching socks in 20 years! My daughter is almost two and I haven't even started the sock nonsense with her yet, I put her in tights every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My three year old will only wear one pair of socks at the moment. We have to wash them at night and hope they are dry in the morning (along with one hoodie). Apparently the other socks in the multipack were too small. And don’t get me started on the underpants!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

bee06 wrote: »
    My three year old will only wear one pair of socks at the moment. We have to wash them at night and hope they are dry in the morning (along with one hoodie). Apparently the other socks in the multipack were too small. And don’t get me started on the underpants!

My three year old often roars at me that I have put his socks on the wrong feet. You gotta love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'm 37 and I do that :D

Mine won't keep socks on. She also doesn't tolerate hats, gloves, jackets that come up too high, headbands etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh i was thinking thins was about kids saying they do not want to wear the socks.. Am I the only one who likes them then haha.. I see it more of a mission to find the missing the socks that anything, nothing better than getting the washing done and pairing up the socks :) love it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

My three year old often roars at me that I have put his socks on the wrong feet. You gotta love them!

😄. I’m actually very persnickety about the socks I wear. And the ones I buy are marked L and R.

Love the three year old insisting on wearing one pair. Makes me feel better about the foibles in this house.

All the foibles Fits, they have many.Aforementioned 5 year old will separate matched socks in the drawer in order to pick 2 different ones.There was also a phase of wearing socks over tights. I have long given up at this point.
    I buy clothes from a website/group that has many parents whose kids have sensory processing disorders or major hang ups either about seams/materials/shape/fit, so it comes up in discussion regularly.I figure we all have our own quirks.
    But I still can't account for the disappearing socks....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

All the foibles Fits, they have many.Aforementioned 5 year old will separate matched socks in the drawer in order to pick 2 different ones.There was also a phase of wearing socks over tights. I have long given up at this point.
    I buy clothes from a website/group that has many parents whose kids have sensory processing disorders or major hang ups either about seams/materials/shape/fit, so it comes up in discussion regularly.I figure we all have our own quirks.
    But I still can't account for the disappearing socks....

When I was in maybe 4th or 5th class there was a trend of wearing socks over tights, that was an extremely hard won battle with my mam

Yes, I can't say i was encouraging it.....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I have a 7 year old who likes wearing odd socks. I bought her a 7 pack of bright colourful ones and she will do like shesty's does and unmatch 2 pairs just to wear odd ones!

It makes me love her that bit more :D

BTW: sock over tights was a thing when I was in primary school.. 124 years ago!

Navy tights, white ankle socks. We all did it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Navy tights, white ankle socks. We all did it!!

With the lace trim on the turnover :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

cuddle wrote: »
    I’m considering scrapping them all and assigning each child a plain colour so there’s always a match to be found and is clear which socks are whose.

I only buy plain black or white socks for my two.

It definitely helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Many moons ago i told my son his shoes were on the wrong feet .He asked me who's feet should they be on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm just super weird about matching socks. Pairs go into my washing machine together, and it's very rare they don't come out together. If one of a pair ever does occasionally go missing, the other sock goes straight into the bin. It's grand for me though, it's just me and my son here (and he's with his dad a lot of the time.)

I grew up in a family of nine and my mum had a huge box where she put all the odd socks. Still does. It's always been a strangely comforting activity for me to delve in and sort all the socks that I can. Problem is what to do with all the odd socks left behind even after matching what I can. I want to bin them - I mean, I've just produced literally hundreds of matching pairs, surely the rest can be binned so I won't be looking at the same terminally odd socks every time I go through them. My mum can't ever throw stuff out though.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A brief household chore for the young lad was to match up the family sockpile He just grabbed two random ones and paired them. We were wearing odd socks for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Another sock issue…I buy the kids socks in Dunnes or the odd time Tesco. They really shrink after just a few weeks and I never put them in tumble dryer just clothes horse and sometimes radiators.

Does this happen others and if so, is there any where to buy socks where this doesn’t happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

For the love of God does anybody know where they go? And yes I know they go on your feet but I have at least 30 odd socks at home in our house. No idea where the matches are?

Oh yes, and when you're doing a clear out you find that sock from your favourite pair that went missing 2 years ago in a really incongruous place, its companion having being binned when hopes of an eventual reunion fade. It's the little people, I tell you. I wonder what they want with them?

Advertisement