Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting of house

Options
  • 23-04-2021 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I have been renting a house for the past 4 years and it needs to be painted inside and outside. There’s nothing in the contract about this apart from consulting with the landlord before starting any painting. I’m a painter myself and have no problem doing it. Should the landlord supply the paint? Would I be entitled to look for reduced rent as payment for doing this, or what way does it work. Any advice appreciated before I consult with the landlord. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What makes you think it needs to be painted?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Talk to your landlord. You've no entitlement to paint the place without permission. You might think it needs painting, your landlord might disagree. On the other hand your landlord might be delighted.

If you get permission any financial agreement is between you and your landlord. There are no entitlements and you can't withhold rent without permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mickotipp

What makes you think it needs to be painted?

I think someone knows if a house needs to be painted or not. Paint is all peeling off the exterior and looks dreadful. Most people paint their sitting room, kitchen etc every 2-3 years. This hasn’t been done in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Mickotipp wrote: »
    I think someone knows if a house needs to be painted or not. Paint is all peeling off the exterior and looks dreadful. Most people paint their sitting room, kitchen etc every 2-3 years. This hasn’t been done in 5 years.

Fair enough paint peeling would ideally be redone, but it not like a broken bit of furniture, it is purely aesthetic.

As for painting every 2-3 years, not a chance, no one i know would repaint that often, more like 5+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Every 2-3 years?! More like 5-10!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

10 years and counting in my parents house.
    My mother wants it painted now, but thats only because she wants a change.
    Paint is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Paint is all peeling off the exterior and looks dreadful.
    Wrong paint used, or an underlying problem? Find it odd that it looks bad after 5 years.

Unless it's being a lot longer than 5 years since it was painted?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Paint is all peeling off the exterior and looks dreadful.

Is the interior damp because of it? That would be a valid thing to complain about.

I guess you could claim that the professional embarrassment of living in a badly painted house is affecting your quiet enjoyment of the property, but it would be more of a stretch.

Yes- I know it's causing the property to deteriorate faster than it should. But that's the owner's problem, not yours.

Most people paint their sitting room, kitchen etc every 2-3 years. This hasn’t been done in 5 years.

Ahh, c'mon now, you're just in business development mode.

Most people would do that every 5-10 ish years, unless they were ruined by kids drawing on walls etc. And if the latter is your problem, that's strictly yours to fix and pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I got my place painted last summer. Bar the master bedroom nothing had been painted in 16 years and it was mostly fine. Bar the odd visitor, just two careful agents living here.

Repaint every 2-3 years sounds crazy!!

Advertisement